Doom III - FINAL

Talk about your favourite video-games and modifications here.

Moderator: Moderators

Zak
joined the game

Doom III - FINAL

Post by Zak »

huh nobody started a Thread about Doom III yet ? Well it´s about time to talk about that Game.

First of all this is a great scary Game. I am even that scared when parts of the wall or of the floor explode or move a bit I shoot it like crazy ;)

The Monsters are nice (to look at not to fight :)) and the effects are awesome even in low Quality.

But imho this Game is a bit too dark. Yes I know it´s meant to be that way to create this scary Atmosphere, but running around most of the time with Flashlight is not my favourite kind of Gameplay, I´ll play it anyway. (It´s fun to slash the dead corpses with Flashlight though, and see them dying like the Vampires in Blade :P).

See ya!
Zak
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

Yeh lets put christmaslights all over the place! so we can see more ;)

This game really scared me, damn headphones :(

The detail and atmosphere in the game are just amazing.. the marine base looks like it has a history and ppl have been living there for ages. There is even an arcade machine! :)

Some ppl said the characters in d3 look like they have been made in plastic, but they are wrong. Farcry looks like plastic, d3 looks real. Gfx are amaaaazzingg! The shadows feel real, the textures feel real, the flashlight feels real! The sound engine they made is also worth mentioning, men it really is scary, you hear the monsters crawl on the walls, *tik* *tik* *tik* *tik* *tik* sounds from the spiders, ppl screaming. I wont go into detail about what happens in the game, you need to find out yourself and trust me, its one hell of a ride :twisted:

Another thing i like about doom3 is the menu system they use. Walk up to a monitor, and your gun will lower and cursor appears. Really nicely done.

For all this you need a "good" p00ter to run it on high/medium/ultra quality. But for min. system i would use a 1.5ghz and a gf4 (no MX), 512mb on low quality. D3 automaticly does an auto-scan on your pc hardware and sets the 'best' setting for the game. d3 did set the quality on medium on my machine but i turned it on high.
My machine:
AMD Athlon XP 2600+,
ATi Radeon 9800 PRO,
768MB

And it runs peachy.

Yesterday i've tried multiplayer with a few friends, d3 is limited at 4 players atm, and its fun, fast. The levels are funny, not that big, with some hiding spots (shadows) and for the smart ppl that think 'he lets put the gamma on max to see the ppl in the shadows' that doesnt help!.
Multiplayer in doom3 isnt special, its just like the old doom mp, no fancy modes or something. For that we need to wait for the mod teams to see what they pull of out their hats :D Co-op mod is allready being made. d3 has some nice effects in mp, try the beserk mode its fun! or the teleport :)

Buy the game, i will!

:hail: id
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
SoLiDuZ
Worst clanmate of 2005

Post by SoLiDuZ »

hehe downloaded it last night. man the game is scary:D. got a radeon 8500 here d3 put it on low and the graphics are still stunning in my oppinion. advice all of u guys 2 dll or buy it, it's worth it :D
taulutussi
blew up

Post by taulutussi »

SoLiDuZ wrote: got a radeon 8500 here d3 put it on low and the graphics are still stunning in my oppinion.
Yeah, but on the other hand, you play action quake 2 :D Anything looks stunning after it.
Gotta knock a little harder...
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

guess no1 seems to have played it :|
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
dudemcpek
had its throat slit

Post by dudemcpek »

Well we can't even buy it till the 6th of August, so...
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

Yes you can ? pre-order it from the states :)
Jazzie
is now shorter

Post by Jazzie »

Den wrote:Yes you can ? pre-order it from the states
Then it most likely would've arrived 1st of August.

fell in love with the game
Samislide
is legless

Post by Samislide »

It pwns, but Hell was kinda boring..
emu
Syndrome of a Down

Post by emu »

please it owns.
Call me your valentine call me once tonight
Hawk
found a way out

Post by Hawk »

please it does not own, sure it has lots of scary moments, but.. where's the replay value? If I want a scary game I'd rather play AVP2 as marine, that's scary :)
Samislide
is legless

Post by Samislide »

Doom3 reminded me alot of avp and avp2 :) and i was a avp addict for a over a year, so this is my type of game :) just need a better graphic card so i can start playing it multiplayer B>
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

lol where's the replay value in any FPS SP game?!?

d3 is scarier then AVP imho :)

Neway.. something for the ati users. this will make d3 run faster on ur machine
Humus wrote:
I picked up Doom3 today and let be begin by saying it's a kickass game so far. A few minuses like weapon reload (which I find add nothing to a game, except annoyance, so I don't know why many devs keep adding it to their games), but overall much above my expectations.

Anyway, to the fun part, exploring the technology.
I think I've found the source of why this game runs comparably slow on ATI hardware vs. nVidia at the moment, and found a solution to the problem.

First, open your doom3\base folder. Doubleclick on the pak000.pk4 file. In the "window can't open this file .. .bla bla" dialog, go on and associate the file with an app like WinRar. With this file open in WinRar, go to the glprogs directory in the file. In there you'll find the shaders. The interaction.vfp file seems to be the main rendering shader. Altering this shader to output a constant color turns most objects into that constant color, except for stuff like computer screens etc.

So doubleclick the interaction.vfp file to open it (you may have to associate the .vfp extension with a text editor like notepad or wordpad first since we're going to edit the file). Scroll down to the fragment shader. You'll find these rows:

Code: Select all

PARAM	subOne = { -1, -1, -1, -1 };
PARAM	scaleTwo = { 2, 2, 2, 2 };
Add this right below them:

PARAM specExp = { 16, 0, 0, 0 };
Now scroll down to this:

# perform a dependent table read for the specular falloff
TEX	R1, specular, texture[6], 2D;
Comment out that line by adding a "#" to it, and add another line that will do the same thing with math instead, so it should look like this:

# perform a dependent table read for the specular falloff
# TEX	R1, specular, texture[6], 2D;
POW	R1, specular.x, specExp.x;
Save the file and close your text editor. WinRar will ask if you want to update the file in the archive, select yes. Close WinRar and enjoy about 40% higher performance in Doom3. Haven't done extensive testing yet, but my performance went from 34fps in 1280x1024 to 48fps.

Conclusion and discussion:
I don't want to complain about Carmack's work, I still consider him to be the industry leader in graphics engines. Though when I read the shader it striked me how many texture accesses it did compared to the relatively short shader, even for stuff that could just as well be done with math for a small cost in instructions. Using a dependent texture lookup for POW evaluation makes a lot of sense for R200 level hardware due to instruction set limits, but for R300 and up it's much better to just spend the three cycles it takes to evaluate POW with math instead of risking texture cache trashing with a dependent texture read, which may be much more costly, especially since the access pattern in this case will be far from linear. Also, using math improves the quality too, even though it may not be very noticable in this game.

I should point out though that I'm not sure if the constant specular factor 16 that I chose is the one that the game uses, so output may be slightly different, but if this solution will be worked into the game in a future patch, then this is easily configurable by the game so that there won't be a difference, except a lot faster.

An interesting follow-up discussion may be why this dependent texture lookup is much slower on our hardware than on nVidia. Maybe there's an architectural difference that's to blame, or maybe something else? The main point here though is that this should be good enough proof that ATI hardware can run Doom3 just as good if not better than nVidia, and that we can pass on all the "ATI suck in OpenGL", "ATI's drivers suck" etc. into the trashcan where it belongs.
Update:

remove this line:

PARAM specExp = { 8, 0, 0, 0 }; 
and replace this line:

POW	R1, specular.x, specExp.x;
with this:

MAD_SAT R1, specular, 4.0, -3.0;
Replacing the POW with POW_SAT (or the previous DP3 with DP3_SAT which might be a more logical place considering what the code is doing, but anyway) seems to fix the white pixel problem. To really work it would need some code from ID to pass the wanted specular exponent in constant as mentioned before. The white pixels were a result of de-normalization in the normal map, which is made worse by having the map compressed (thus looking worse on medium and low quality settings than high), and pixels getting over 1.0 bright highlights in corner cases. The texture lookup does saturation (clamping texture coordinates) as well so these should be equal in function, assuming the specular is just a power function as it seems to be. If any, the math version does the operation more accurately and thus might show aliasing in the normal map more visibly.

Interestingly the shader also uses cubemap for normalizing the light vector for diffuse lighting but math for normalizing half vector for specular lighting. The reason probably is that the code seems to be geared towards cards that have lower math performance (read: FX cards) and trades texture lookups for math ops. For specular the lookup is simply too inaccurate and causes blobby looking highlights so it has to be done with math. In retrospect this is kind of sad and having a separate nv3x path that does texture lookups and a proper math using ARB2 path would have been better for both current ATI (and NV40) cards and even better for future cards where math power is growing much faster than texture bandwidth.
or

Download this file:
http://esprit.campus.luth.se/~humus/tem ... eTweak.rar

Extract so that the shader file goes under doom3\base\glprogs. This replaces a dependent texture read with equivalent math, which runs better on ATI cards, but seems to run slower on NV boards, so only apply this if you got an ATI card.

Apparently there are a few other versions, check the link and read the thread.

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14874
birdie
tried to put the pin back in

Post by birdie »

Damn that game really kicks ass!
Visual effects shocked at the first time, especially lightning + shadows.

Audio was great too, it gives you a great feeling 'for being there'

I definetly recommend this game for everyone with fast computers :)
When the dove came..