New map: Depot

Forum for all new beta and released maps!

Moderators: Moderators, Mappers

L4nt0m
plummets to its death

New map: Depot

Post by L4nt0m »

Check out this new map I made:

DOWNLOAD Depot NOW

Feel free to post your comments here....
Hazler
plummets to its death

Post by Hazler »

I had a quick view and this is what I think about this map:

Big, very big. There are couple nice roofs for snipers and nice catwalks. The ground area is quite empty, so you don't have many places to hide there from the snipers.

First "funny" thing I noticed, was the water pool outside. I thought that "Oh, and when I go there I'm dead. Right?", but no. Nice, pretty big water pool, that has routes to couple of houses. Nice way to get to other teams back! :hail:

The rooms/halls inside the factories, or whatever they are, are quite empty too. You could have placed some stuff there too. I think it is a nice map, but you should have something like 6on6 or more on this map. Maybe not the one on CW's, but in public, this could be nice.

...and oh, that helicopter on the roof, that is a one f*cking mean killing machine :rambo:
http://www.weebl.jolt.co.uk/pie.htm
Me like pie!
Random AQ2 kid. © Clown
Royal^
was in the wrong place

Post by Royal^ »

Could you put some screenshots to inter web, i'd like to see, and yes, im downloading the map atm :)
admin of #DuraWorks - #shoutcastftw - AQ2Suomi.com
L4nt0m
plummets to its death

Post by L4nt0m »

Here you go Royal^, some pics of the map:

Thnx to Ralle for making the pics!
Da^JuaN
was picked off

Post by Da^JuaN »

Dont like the map too much, it will be too campy i think and will be less played on public or in clanwars. The map is pretty big, so rounds could take very long, the textures aint great quality like the other maps who are released lately, like wizardext, genie, pauhi's and other maps and less details.

I guess its your first map ever made, but keep it up and try to make a bit more 'action' map with nicer textures.
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Da^JuaN wrote:....and other maps and less details.
the bigger the map the less detail you can put in before it starts slowing down on low-end puters...

/me goes on to download the map...
Da^JuaN
was picked off

Post by Da^JuaN »

Yea ok, but i really miss details on the map, even though its big. It more looks like the old maps from years ago and nothing like the progression in the new maps.
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Da^JuaN wrote:Yea ok, but i really miss details on the map, even though its big. It more looks like the old maps from years ago and nothing like the progression in the new maps.
I've run thru it now a couple of minutes.. and I see what you mean :) I'm sorry L4nt0m - since I know what kind of work you have to put in to make a map - but I seriously think that you should have put in some more work on this one... if this is your first map, I can sort of understand why you would stop at this, (you shouldn't really release your first map... :) ) but it seriously lacks in both detail and textures. The proportions are a bit off at places, and there are lots of things and solution in the map that simply wouldn't exist in real-life (tm) since they would make no sense. I'm sorry, but I don't really think that this is a very well made map.... :|
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

I still would like to play it and see if that at least is fun to do. That's the most important thing to alot of people, always keep that in mind. Not that I don't agree with your criticism, it was all well argumented and without being harsh. This is a good thread imo.
Gore Vidal: "To succeed is not enough. Others must fail."
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

n99 wrote:I still would like to play it and see if that at least is fun to do. That's the most important thing to alot of people, always keep that in mind. Not that I don't agree with your criticism, it was all well argumented and without being harsh. This is a good thread imo.
Of course :) this is also the hardest part IMO... To make the map actually fun to play, I still haven't really figured out what actually decides if a map has good playability or not :) It could very well be that this map has great gameflow and is very fun to play, but I can't really comment on that since I have no possibilities of actually trying that out...

I mean if we start looking at the most popular maps, they range from gorgeous to ugly, from big to small, open to close combat, so many variations. If someone has a clue as to what the secret ingredient is, please tell me :mrgreen:
Moose
hit the ground hard, real hard

Post by Moose »

Uhh, this reminds me some of the early maps in aq2 that have now long been forgotten. Compared to other maps released recently this one lacks both appearance and playability.
rudL
is connecting

Post by rudL »

i also want to add that's not easy to be compared with wiz, genie, nrgizer and so on - i also stopped mapping but i have a good idea for a new one and i hope i'll find the time to create it

@n99 - right -> i like aqnitro and it doesn't look pretty at all IMO :P
but i think maps should have a nice atmosphere and it's also very important that you use nice textures, but if u need some players to test just tell me when and i'll join :)

i'm looking forward 4 new maps :)
voice comeback.wav
Royal^
was in the wrong place

Post by Royal^ »

Smaller maps and better quality textures, more objects and details for now on... And gj.
admin of #DuraWorks - #shoutcastftw - AQ2Suomi.com
pauhi
melted

Post by pauhi »

I actually liked the map pretty much, even though it's really big (and I usually aim for the fast rounds). :)

I found one bad gfx bug though, you can see through the floor from the pool passage ( http://home.no.net/swsaq2/bug.jpg )

Keep it up man.
›› pauhi ››
Spill the blood of the fucking lamb