Why don't people just play fair?

Pimpin new players? Started a new clan? Do you dislike a player or a clan? Post it all here.

Moderator: Moderators

Repsaj
as long as it's salty..

Post by Repsaj »

goldblade wrote:
NRGizeR wrote:Talking about people being fair will not help you, since most people want to have fun themselves, and don't care about making this game fun for you.... those are the facts... sad but true...
So what you're saying is that you will not play on a server with fair pings because you want to have fun? Fun being that you win because you have better pings and that makes you feel good about yourself?

Hmm the term selfish springs to mind. Do you think it's fun for your opponent who plays at a disadvantage and loses because the playing field is not level? I've played matches where it was impossible to play against the opponent because the delay was unplayable.. all the time telling the opponent this who doesn't seem to give a fuck... kind of like you. Hmm.

You seem to look after number 1. Yourself.
Gee and you aren't? You want fair pings for "both" teams which aren't fair since the others play with generally lower pings! playing 2x with 50ping is what u are used to, but the other guys are used to play with maybe 20/30 at least 1 map. So it comes down that the advantage is in your pocket!
Gepardi
melted

Post by Gepardi »

goldblade wrote:
Gepardi wrote:I'm not gonna answer you until you start writing Finnish and Finland with a big F. That's so provocative! :(
Get a grip
Got a grip now..
..but Finland & Finnish are still written with a little f in the opening message while the UK, Germany and Holland are with caps. So unfair!!!

Anyway, this thread seems to be once again about ze pings. And now there are even two threads (This and "The power of lameness") with almost the same content.

As said before, it's not always the size of the ping but the change of the size compared to normal. For example I usually play with 15-30 ping and I'm pretty lost with 100 ping. A guy who is used to play with 100 ping could easily kick my ass in a fight when both have 100 ping.

There are many points of view and you, goldblade, seem to watch it from only your view.
Gepardi /pr0
#clan.pr0 @ QNet » http://koti.mbnet.fi/warjo/pr0/
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

goldblade wrote:So what you're saying is that you will not play on a server with fair pings because you want to have fun?
No, I said I don't want to play on a server with HIGH ping, because I want to have fun...
goldblade wrote:Fun being that you win because you have better pings and that makes you feel good about yourself?
winning has nothing to do with it. I've played loads of fun games where we've lost.
goldblade wrote:Hmm the term selfish springs to mind. Do you think it's fun for your opponent who plays at a disadvantage and loses because the playing field is not level?
Selfish? Yeah, but I do play this game for my own enjoyment, and so do most other people. I could just as easily call you selfish because you want to play on a server where YOU ping better. The only difference between you and me is that I can find opponents that want to play me on my terms, and you, apparently, can't... tough luck.
goldblade wrote:I've played matches where it was impossible to play against the opponent because the delay was unplayable.. all the time telling the opponent this who doesn't seem to give a fuck... kind of like you. Hmm.
And you aren't? I'm sure you posted this long post because of all other guys on these boards with high pings, or not a large enough scene close by to play on low-ping servers...? Doesn't have ANYTHING to do with your own situation... yeah... Get real, you posted this because of the fact that you'd want to play more matches with a lower ping... geez... get down from that high horse and realize that you're just like the rest of us...

:rambo:
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Clown wrote:Bandwidth isn't what determines your ping at these speeds.
Maybe not in theory, but there is still a noticable correlation between bandwidth and latency, because connections with larger bandwidth are generally built using techniques that have a lower latency...
BeAViS
ittssaaa marrrioooo!

Post by BeAViS »

NRGizeR wrote:No, I said I don't want to play on a server with HIGH ping, because I want to have fun...
you dont need to have a uber ping to have fun.
i have much more fun doing an headshot with 90 ping instead of doing it with 20 (i think.. i've never had 20 ping lol)
and these days that my connection sux more then ever (140 ping on damain) i simply started useing hc. and watching ohter ppl splatted by me its very funny :D
and seeing that at the end of the map im not at the bottom of the ladder its even more funnyer :D

but i guess that even playing with 20 ping and doing 50 frags per map is funny... mmm well i dunno, never tryed it ;)
- Killing today in old fashioned way -
- Beware of Beavers -
- :mario: -
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

BeAViS wrote:
NRGizeR wrote:No, I said I don't want to play on a server with HIGH ping, because I want to have fun...
you dont need to have a uber ping to have fun.
No you don't but believe me, if you're used to ping 15, you don't enjoy ping 50 anymore :)

Oh, and I've never had 50 frags in any map at any ping that I can remember either :)
BeAViS
ittssaaa marrrioooo!

Post by BeAViS »

NRGizeR wrote:No you don't but believe me, if you're used to ping 15, you don't enjoy ping 50 anymore :)
well yes, i guess you are right about that.
:bday:
- Killing today in old fashioned way -
- Beware of Beavers -
- :mario: -
indey
plummets to its death

Post by indey »

goldblade, i suggest YOU get a grip ;).
Synchrony - www.huhtimo.com/sync
#Synchrony - @ QuakeNET
Aq2 with attitude.
goldblade
hit the ground hard, real hard

Post by goldblade »

NRGizeR wrote:
goldblade wrote:So what you're saying is that you will not play on a server with fair pings because you want to have fun?
No, I said I don't want to play on a server with HIGH ping, because I want to have fun...
Yes but it's ok to force your opponent to play with a high ping?
NRGizeR wrote:
goldblade wrote:I've played matches where it was impossible to play against the opponent because the delay was unplayable.. all the time telling the opponent this who doesn't seem to give a fuck... kind of like you. Hmm.
And you aren't? I'm sure you posted this long post because of all other guys on these boards with high pings, or not a large enough scene close by to play on low-ping servers...? Doesn't have ANYTHING to do with your own situation... yeah... Get real, you posted this because of the fact that you'd want to play more matches with a lower ping... geez... get down from that high horse and realize that you're just like the rest of us...

:rambo:
I just want to play a game where the pings are fair on both sides i.e. the same level. It has nothing to do with getting a lower ping than the opponent.. it's about having the same ping.
:D
goldblade
hit the ground hard, real hard

Post by goldblade »

Repsaj wrote:Gee and you aren't? You want fair pings for "both" teams which aren't fair since the others play with generally lower pings! playing 2x with 50ping is what u are used to, but the other guys are used to play with maybe 20/30 at least 1 map. So it comes down that the advantage is in your pocket!
That's total crap. Ping is the latency between when you press fire and the bullet leaving the gun where you are aiming ... essentially.

The lower the ping the more accurate you are.

I might be used to shooting slightly ahead of someone... but I can adjust (and i'm sure everyone else can) in the rpactice warm up you have whilst waiting for the other players to join the server. It works the same way too, going for lower to higher ping.

For it to be fair, pings should be equal.
:D
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

goldblade wrote:Yes but it's ok to force your opponent to play with a high ping?
Yeah, it is... I play this game because it's fun FOR ME, not for you. You tell me ONE reason as to why I should sacrifice my fun just so you, who I don't even know, would have fun? Why is YOUR fun more important than mine (to me)? And if you don't like it... well... don't play against me... that simple...
goldblade wrote:I just want to play a game where the pings are fair on both sides i.e. the same level. It has nothing to do with getting a lower ping than the opponent.. it's about having the same ping.
How does this not include you getting a lower ping? Given the choice to play your clan (whatever that may be) on a highping server, and a local clan on a local server, guess which one I'd choose? So you know what, the field IS level, we just wouldn't play you if you would insist on a server we wouldn't like...
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Let me illustrate this to you with the help of three simple IRC conversations:

Option 1:
<goldblade> want to play a cw on our highping server?
<NRGizeR> No, but I can play against you on our server...
<goldblade> ok
Here you chose to play on our server, because you wanted to play us (and was more eager to play on our server, than we were to play on your). You decided to play on our server, no problem.

Option 2:
<NRGizeR> No, but I can play against you on our server...
<goldblade> That won't do.
Here you chose to not play at all.... No problem at all.

Option 3:
<NRGizeR> No, I really don't enjoy playing with high ping.
<goldblade> Come on, it's much more fun for me that way!
<NRGizeR> Ok, for you then.
This is the option that will happen when pigs fly, hell freezes over, and you are the only aq2 player left in the world. No matter what you say, I won't sacrifice my fun to make you happy... that's that.
dudemcpek
had its throat slit

Post by dudemcpek »

Goldy, people don't know what fairplay is. All they care about is their ass. They know in what situation the scene is, yet they act so arrogant. It's not just about having fun, it's not just to play with ping 10 - or what you call it, what you're used to - and it's not about having 50x more players than other countries/communities have. It's about making it happen, having what it takes, etc. Maybe some of you should realize that there are still people who play this game and want to play it in a fair way. Of course you don't even think for a second about it in such a way.
If you see a person in a car accident, you simply ignore him/her since you have enough friends on your own, right? Quite harsh example, but it's how I see this scene.
Royal^
was in the wrong place

Post by Royal^ »

Yep, we aren't fair because we wont play on your server, but you are fair because you wont play on our server.

Sounds logical.
admin of #DuraWorks - #shoutcastftw - AQ2Suomi.com
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

This discussion is pointless.

Solutions:

"we/they" give in - play 2xtheirserver / we dont change anything
"they/we" give in - 1each.
or equal pings stuff.

figure it out kids.

yadda yadda yadda...

Remember this is a dying scene. thread locked.
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know