"New" rules & fresh thinking.

The general catch-all forum for Action Quake2 related discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Lurre
is connecting

"New" rules & fresh thinking.

Post by Lurre »

Is it only me, or is aq2 getting back to what it used to be?

2 teams with one map of their choice and gaming for an hour and its a result in rounds. I mean for some time I thought that aq2 could be something to develop (like most of the other online games). For instance NAQL, which was a great tournament with some "fresh thinking", new counting system with percentage and mapwins... and playing 4maps 15minutes each was a brilliant idea imo.

why not go for 4 maps in ordinary cws and count mapwins? OR why not use a random map system to get the maps to be played.. let all the maps in aq2suomi be in a random roll or something?

Worth thinking of?
Piece of crap?
Come with suggestions!
sajh
is legless

Post by sajh »

2x20 ftw
whine...<br />
"på kvällarna förvandlas den spenslige solidas till....... STÅL-TIRRE!" - minch<br />
"i hoped i cud get a chance in iN when i saw even solidas cud do it " - Snigge/2fast4j00<br />
"iN minus sajh would be a nice clan and way better, but i would never ever stand playing with such an annoying player, lucky me that i didnt get a try in iN" - Romo
" it seems he is a "rich" mans child with to much attitude, he's like the man version of Paris Hilton... such a jerk" - Romo
Caracol
was picked off

Post by Caracol »

I would also like some new sort of clanwar, but the chances to replace the 2x20 with homemaps is near impossible... but I think you will always have clans like VfN or balle to play odd modes.

Too old to remode* the tics.

* I mistyped remove.
Last edited by Caracol on Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ne quid nimis.
cloN
joined the game

Post by cloN »

sajh wrote:2x20 ftw
Indeed.
Sabotage
plummets to its death

Re: "New" rules & fresh thinking.

Post by Sabotage »

Lurre wrote:OR why not use a random map system to get the maps to be played..
That is a great idea, but will it happen? will the players exept it?
The answere on that is no i think..
Ofc you can get a match like that vs some clans..(what cara said)
How am i spelling?" Please call 800-WHO-CARES or online at www.Tellsomeonewhocares.com
*bplease*
Picer
sank like a rock

Post by Picer »

Caracol wrote:I would also like some new sort of clanwar, but the chances to replace the 2x20 with homemaps is near impossible... but I think you will always have clans like VfN or balle to play odd modes.

Too old to remode the tics.
Thats the reason i say that the only cw's i enjoy (even though we tend to loose) are the ones vs balle.
Member of VfN "Vikings from North".

/connect aq2.catchgamer.no:27922 Catch-Gamer.no AQ2#4 ModernClassic for some oldschool FF action!
nufan
brains are on the wall

Post by nufan »

random 2x20 some "map pool" that can be decided by admins ;) would be cool
Mutu
loses a vital chest organ

Post by Mutu »

I like the way it is now
· Catch-Gamer.no AQ2admin
Alien
plummets to its death

Post by Alien »

Hmm... we have talked about this in aq2suomi forum. The main thing there was camping. Atleast I think it goes camping with mapwins or even with random maps (since there are slow maps).

I think the typical 2x 20 min for normal cw is the best, but there should be a ladder with a lot of clans and all could pick 1 map for pool, and then randomize 2 maps from there (with roundwins) to every ladder cw. I think the mappool would be like this (hehe, dont whine if there arent some maps, but you got the idea): urban2, riot, cloud, airport, mesto, wfall, tokyo, cliff2, rok, sludge1 (...)
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

Alien wrote:The main thing there was camping. Atleast I think it goes camping with mapwins
Not more then with rounds? It all depends on the clans
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
skmz
didn't throw its grenade far enough

Post by skmz »

I would suggest a mappool, both teams get random homemap for the cw, and have to play them.

After the first two maps, the winning team will be able to choose a map of their own choice for the third and last map that will end the cw.

In this way, people have to start to practice other maps than just their own homemap(s), and it will result into more maps playing around the servers, also probably make aq2 more alive.
PENSIONERAD cat
#AMF @ IRLNet - AMFpension.se[/b]
fuct
is full of buckshot

Post by fuct »

Picer wrote: Thats the reason i say that the only cw's i enjoy (even though we tend to loose) are the ones vs balle.
cw's against u guys and balle are always the best (even if we gather 8 random players to play u) thats the way a cw should be imo. nobody really cares about winning and everyone has 40mins of laughter.
Picer
sank like a rock

Post by Picer »

fuct wrote:
Picer wrote: Thats the reason i say that the only cw's i enjoy (even though we tend to loose) are the ones vs balle.
cw's against u guys and balle are always the best (even if we gather 8 random players to play u) thats the way a cw should be imo. nobody really cares about winning and everyone has 40mins of laughter.

Theres someone who got the clue :hail: :hail:
Member of VfN "Vikings from North".

/connect aq2.catchgamer.no:27922 Catch-Gamer.no AQ2#4 ModernClassic for some oldschool FF action!
McCree
joined the game

Post by McCree »

How about four maps, to win a map you'd have to have more rounds than the other team in 15mins OR to get 15 rounds first. RTL 2-3. That might spice up the game, specially if the maps were random. And what comes to random I still think they should be controlled so that no credits kinda map gets in the pool. Maps should be nice and good for TP, DM etc is different. This prevents MOST of the camping from the cw's.

How to get maps randomly? An irc-bot would be handy since not just anybody could temper with them and both sides could see the results without having just to count on it. Perhaps a nice extra feature in one of the existing bots or totally new bot(like we don't have enough of them for this scene:).

OFC for starters this could be just an option to play a cw, since I bet lot of clans prefer the old 2x20mins style. It always has to start from a scratch right?

PS. + both teams makes map order for two maps. Team can decide team/skin in a map which other team has made order for. Challenger could be the first one to decide map order and defender to choose team/skin in those maps or the other way around. Perhaps even a coin toss to see who starts? (could be arranged with an irc bot aswell).

PS. vol 2.0. If the game is eaven-steaven after those four maps, then extra rounds untill other team wins one. Or then the team with more rounds in overall would win?
Paskaks vaa ku ei oo omaa
Caracol
was picked off

Post by Caracol »

As Haui said, 60 mins with 3 pauses (between each map) is way too much, it could be done, but not as a standard (if that's what we're trying to establish). Although the random fact you are trying to advice is quite good, I like that kind of randomized selection. Gives something to look for and expect, and here comes the time part again, if the random doesn't go in your favor (a sucky map that is) you don't want to play it that long... it's difficult to find a good number without trying and testing.

Anyway, random maps is something I expect for ages already, more maps per cw makes it funnier, shorter TL less boring, and an endless list. But how to make everything, and also a system to avoid "tactical camp" and so on... dunno, maybe I'm to tired to figure out something.

My go would be 3x13mins (almost 40 mins as usual), random maps and rounds as score.
Ne quid nimis.