FINLAND!!!!!!!!!

The place to discuss your client and server issues, or to post your client and server related problems. Now with added Anticheat flavour.

Moderator: Moderators

indey
plummets to its death

Post by indey »

I dont see why i should install something that doesnt prevent ppl from cheating.

Im doing fine with the way of choosing who i play against if i want a clean game.

No need of any big brother is watching shit.

We have seen this before, and now we(atleast some of us) can once again see that there aint, and never will be, a working anticheat system for AQ2.

My 5 cents.
Synchrony - www.huhtimo.com/sync
#Synchrony - @ QuakeNET
Aq2 with attitude.
nufan
brains are on the wall

Post by nufan »

imeiz wrote: yes, there's an exception list. my ip was on it for a moment, but i decided to have it taken off.
what is so wrong with such a list? really.. I don't get you at all.
for those who are on the list.. we can do what we are doing these days..
ask for a demo.

I can't see that you are comming with even one good reason not to force this.
nufan
brains are on the wall

Post by nufan »

indey wrote:I dont see why i should install something that doesnt prevent ppl from cheating.
show us that people are able to then.
this will prevent alot off people to cheat.. and you know it.

also it's just bullshit to not use it also, even if it haven't prevented cheating. Can't see what's so hard with putting one file in your folder.
nufan
brains are on the wall

Post by nufan »

Vermin wrote:Nice options in this poll.. well I thought about sharing my opinion why I'm not using this anticheat module.

1. It doesn't like some of my modifications (SOF2 death/pain sounds, Barret sniper rifle from terror quake, darkened ctf-skins). Well, barret might already be supported but those ctf-skins and SOF2 sounds of mine won't ever be supported I guess. And it's also a problem that ppl have different opinions about what is cheating and what is not. There are opinions varying from allowing only the original skins & sounds & everything to allowing almost everything except wh, spikes and the like. Then on what level to force the file checks? Who decides it? There will always be ppl who think that the checks are totally wrong. And also if there is going to be forcing, the checklists should be the same in every server, at least imo.

2. I don't like the attitude going around in AQ2World concerning this ac thingie. Some ppl seem to be blind for any negative feedback concerning the module.

3. In this old and fun game I don't care so much anymore if someone is cheating or not, though I still think that cheaters are scum of course. Well I guess that ppl cheat more on public servers and since I play maybe once or twice per year in public servers, it doesn't annoy me so much.

4. There seems to be some "big brother is watching you" features in this ac that I'm not too fond of. Some of those features are from q2admin I guess but anyway, I don't have enough interest to check these things more closely.

Also this "gap between Finland vs the rest of the wrold" isn't making things any better. Until now it has been mainly the jackasses from both parties who have been flaming each other at least from my point of view. But now also the admins have disagreements about this anticheat module. And from what I've read, both sides have valid arguments. Though I'm still siding with the finnish admins for this one.

The thing is that the "rest of the world" is making the gap even wider now with this ac discussion. I loved the time I spent with AIDS/AiD the most since back then there wasn't that much discriminating about who to take on as opponents and which servers to use. 2xfi isn't the way to go but unfortunately finnish clans can demand that nowadays because our scene is so big when compared to any other country. Well my point in this was that I wouldn't want to see the other scenes getting even smaller just because they are forcing the ac module in their servers. Hehe, when I read my post again I realised that the previous sentence might be taken as a threat, which it isn't meant to be :)

Oh and if someone is screaming "modified ctf skins! cheater!" then I don't mind, since imo those original ones are more like cheats. Compare by yourselves:

original
modified
Well, the poll sucks. but who cares about it :P

1. that some sounds is changed is a small price to pay to prevent cheaters out there. and those checks should be as though as possible.
and yes.. the same on all servers ofcourse.

2. well.. ofcourse. they are getting fedup. people that really are trying to do stuff for the scene.. and put in a little effort.
and they are getting alot off really crappy feedback becouse people don't care to give it a chance.

3. well, alot off people do. I belive you know that alot off public servers are full 24/7.
This should be able to keep "order" on those servers ;p

4. so what if it is? nobody got stuff to hide.

the gap will always be there.

and you should just be glad that you can now be able to use more xiiting skins :p
Violent
was flattened

Post by Violent »

indeed nufan :D
iN Violent - *die young*
bail
should have used a smaller gun

Post by bail »

just one question, i dont like Apr nor r1q2. are there any other options?
bail{UNi}
nufan
brains are on the wall

Post by nufan »

yes bail ;p
EGL <-

http://anticheat.aq2world.com/

and ya.. I know there is still NC lovers out there..
mekaza loved it to.
but others client that bad mon.
bail

Post by bail »

nufan wrote:yes bail ;p
EGL <-

http://anticheat.aq2world.com/

and ya.. I know there is still NC lovers out there..
mekaza loved it to.
but others client that bad mon.
so basically there's no other option.
a suggestion, why not only force anticheat in cups/leagues?.
leave us sunday quakers alone..
bail{UNi}
dudemcpek
had its throat slit

Post by dudemcpek »

What don't you like about Apr, r1q2 and EGL? What client would (do) you use?
nufan
brains are on the wall

Post by nufan »

bail wrote: so basically there's no other option.
a suggestion, why not only force anticheat in cups/leagues?.
leave us sunday quakers alone..
no other option? it's not like 3 out off what? 4-5 clients is bad..
and it's also a really crappy, poor and lazy excuse.
Gepardi
melted

Post by Gepardi »

Gotta keep on replying! :)
imeiz wrote:yes, there's an exception list. my ip was on it for a moment, but i decided to have it taken off. naturally it's not wrong that also non-windows players are able to play, but it's wrong that there needs to be a list of those players, because "they don't use our forced anticheat", because anticheat doesn't support them. r1ch drew the line and i stepped on the other side. so did some others.
Oh, I see.. Soo, let's say only R1CH had the list and no one else could see the names on it (but the list would have to exist so people unable to use anticheat could keep on playing), would you then give your approval to forcing anticheat? Is this all just about not wanting people to see your name on a list with people not using anticheat? I'd have no problem if I never saw the names on the list, but anticheat was still forced.

Anyway, for me the anticheat isn't that big of a deal. Just trying to point out some reasons why it should possibly be forced and how should people objecting it possibly change the way they think.
If it gets forced, fine. If it doesn't, also fine. I mean, if I play versus a dude who I think is cheating, I don't bother making a big deal(=any deal) out of it. But I guess anything that cuts down the amount of cheaters is good. However, if people do have some problems (like fps drops and such) with anticheat, is it really worth forcing then? I only know about myself, and so far I haven't had a single problem with it.
Gepardi /pr0
#clan.pr0 @ QNet » http://koti.mbnet.fi/warjo/pr0/
hifi
is connecting

Post by hifi »

Gepardi wrote:Oh, I see.. Soo, let's say only R1CH had the list and no one else could see the names on it (but the list would have to exist so people unable to use anticheat could keep on playing), would you then give your approval to forcing anticheat?
That would be no. Then again it's only on R1CH's hands and if he "disappears" in a way or another then what would happen? The whole anticheat system would render useless.

Most of all I don't like this secrecy thing, if R1CH cannot trust even few of the AQ2World or AQ2Suomi administrators to work with him and help maintaining the system (like the allowed AC list, some coding perhaps?) and keep it alive even if something bad happenned. Why should we trust him if he doesn't trust us?

Heck, there even might be a backdoor inside the module. Who knows? R1CH knows. Hmm. Why I should trust R1CH?

And don't give me that crap that he have been working ALONE and done something HUGE ALONE that I should respect him more. It was his choice not to trust anyone and it's my choice not to trust him.

Nothing personal against R1CH. Don't get me wrong.
emperphis
blew itself up

Post by emperphis »

Wasn't aware that this thread was more about AC rather than the original topic subject... So much was said i won't even bother to reply person by person. Anyway, and beeing one of the persons that tries to implement as many servers as possible with the ac checking, there's no harm done when doing it server side is there?
As for forcing I stand as before, it should ONLY be forced when on important game and never in public servers.

I agree and disagree with much that was said from both parties (proAC againstAC) so that's why my way to see things.
I don't have time nor the patience to check every freakin lamme demo that is sent to the aq2admin team as well as to go to servers to check for players gamming. This reduces a lot the work we (admins) have to do to check for cheats. It's not perfect, no one as ever said it was, but it's the best we can get atm. So please bear with us and install if you can. If you can't due to some problems please ask for help. If you can't due to full incompatibility to play a cw or in any server where it is mandatory please ask for help.
Anyway we can't force no one to use something, we try to call their reason to do it when possible. The only and worst thing we can do (and I hate to do it) is to ban a person from the game.
I've god as my lollipop
bail

Post by bail »

nufan wrote: no other option? it's not like 3 out off what? 4-5 clients is bad..
actually thats not my excuse my excuse is that i cant get 32bits textures working with Apr quake.
bail{UNi}
Da^JuaN
was picked off

Post by Da^JuaN »

bail wrote:
nufan wrote: no other option? it's not like 3 out off what? 4-5 clients is bad..
actually thats not my excuse my excuse is that i cant get 32bits textures working with Apr quake.
gl_replacewall 1
gl_replacepcx 1

that should be enough to make it work