Ex player having problems getting back on

The place to discuss your client and server issues, or to post your client and server related problems. Now with added Anticheat flavour.

Moderator: Moderators

Tom420
is connecting

Ex player having problems getting back on

Post by Tom420 »

Hello everyone. I played AQ2 for several years back in the day but like many people, I eventually moved on to other games. However, it seems like no matter how far I look, I can't find a game that offers the same level of enjoyment that I used to get from AQ2. (I'm already salivating at the thought of strafe jumping across roofs while popping heads off with the sniper rifle lol) I'm in the US and I know most of the people still playing are in other countries but I have broadband and I think I'll be alright considering all my previous AQ2 experience was on a 56k.

Anyway, I have been trying all day to get up and running and I ran into two problems. I have a widescreen monitor and the game seems to cut off the entire bottom of the screen as well as the right side. The crosshairs are down and to the right of the center of the screen. This happens in vanilla Q2, vanilla AQ2 and the client from kweik.com. I also tried manually installed AprQ2 with my vanilla Q2/AQ2 and it was exactly the same. I used AprQ2 because this webpage: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/fo ... php?t=5125
describes steps to take to make it work but I did everything described in all the environments to no avail. That forum isn't specific to Quake though and the post is pretty old so I figured I would have better chances over here.

The other problem is that any mouse movement whatsoever causes the view to spin around like a freaking tornado. It doesn't matter what direction I move the mouse because it's like the game treats almost all of it exactly the same. After a round starts, it just goes up and to the left until I'm staring at the roof spinning in circles. It wouldn't be entirely accurate to say every mouse movement goes up and left though because I can sort of aim in other directions but its very sporadic and absolutely impossible to aim at anyone.

I'm running Vista and I can run other games like Bad Company 2 and MW without issue. Also, I already checked to make sure I have all the latest drivers. I'm desperate to get back to playing so if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. From my google searches, this seems like the only active AQ2 community left so hopefully someone can help.
Savior
plummets to its death

Post by Savior »

fuck knows =D

I haven't gotten it to work in widescreen either (it goes 'outside' the screen so I just use 1024) but if anyone else knows please do tell me too!

and that mouse thingy? haven't got a slighest clue there either I bet its vista's fault, burn in hell you useless piece of software :#:
SuicidaLP
bleeds to death

Post by SuicidaLP »

vista sucks
Tom420
is connecting

Post by Tom420 »

I forgot to mention that I was able to install and run AQ2 using the same machine I have now a couple of years ago except without the widescreen monitor. I remember getting on a server playing Cliff2 with a bunch of players that were from Argentina I believe. Anyway, this was on Vista and I didn't have to use an external client either.

As for the mouse problem, I have a USB thumbball mouse and I hooked it up to a PS/2 adapter to make sure it wasn't some client limitation with USB mice and the result was still exactly the same. Then I tried out an old regular PS/2 mouse and the same thing still happened. (The thumbball mouse is also the same mouse I had when I successfully ran AQ2 before.)

savior, I tried a wide variety of resolutions but even on something as small as 640x480, it still cuts off the same amount of space on the bottom and right sides. It's like the game is on a 4000x4000 pixel canvas but my monitor only shows the 3000x25000 starting from the top left, if that makes sense (numbers are random btw). The rest of it is off screen, similar to if you moved your browser window down and to the right until you can no longer see it. I wouldn't care if there were big ass black boxes on either side as long as I could actually see the whole picture. Can you post the various settings you had to use to get it to work?
Darksaint
joined the game
In-game Name: Darksaint

Post by Darksaint »

Use a modern client like the one from http://www.kweik.com or http://www.actionquakeonline.com and edit the command line like so:

"D:\Program Files (x86)\Quake II\r1q2.exe" +set vid_forcewidth 1920 +set vid_forceheight 1080

Makes it run in 1920x1080
Tom420
is connecting

Post by Tom420 »

I tried the client from kweik too but the same thing happened previously, even with the additional parameters. I was able to figure out the problem though. Under the shortcut's properties, I checked the box to "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings" and now both of my problems are gone and it works like a charm. Now I just need to shake off that 1 foot layer of aq2 rust I'm carrying lol
Sleek
is connecting

Post by Sleek »

I use aprquake 1.21 1680x1050 resolution without eny problem..

::code::
set gl_mode "-1"
set r_customwidth "1680"
set r_customheight "1050"

and i need to set some scale because it is too small

::code::
set gl_scale "2"
set ch_scale "1.5"

hope this helps :)
and you can allways try my apr config generate if that fix your problem :D
Sleek
WizardExt
tried to put the pin back in
In-game Name: WizardExt
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder

Post by WizardExt »

I have widescreen, 16:10, monitor. (1920x1200)

..and play with AprQ2 using these settings in my config:

Code: Select all

gl_mode "-1"
set r_customwidth "800" 
set r_customheight "500"
Darksaint
joined the game
In-game Name: Darksaint

Post by Darksaint »

Hey Tom420, come visit us at http://www.actionquakeonline.com/aqo :o