Features vs Anti-Cheat-Clients (NoCheat)

The place to discuss your client and server issues, or to post your client and server related problems. Now with added Anticheat flavour.

Moderator: Moderators

Haudrauf
tripped on its own grenade

Features vs Anti-Cheat-Clients (NoCheat)

Post by Haudrauf »

When there was Q2ACE, they said something like: 'We make an anti-cheat-client, it's not for eye-candy and other stuff.'

At least they implemented .loc file support and some small other features too.

Now, there ist NoCheat, which is atm the best Anti-Cheat-Client for Q2 around.

It implements many things to not be the standard q2-client, which is really good, nice and useful.

But still, there are other very good and cutting-edge clients around, like

AprQ2, Q2PRO, q2ice etc. (q2evolved maybe not to be counted)

They are about more eyecandy, more teamplay, more demo-support - which is, in fact, astonishing and desirable - to keep things running and make things more comfortable.

So, what happens?

Since NoCheat is recommended but not yet has all the nice features as other clients, guys come and ask Bryce (the NoCheat Coder) for more.

While other clients advance...

I am still playing with NoCheat. Others already changed to another client. I can't even blame them..

What's this all about?:

IMHO: NoCheat should advance a bit faster. If Q2-Clients would have a look at advanced QW-clients, things would go faster.

I see things happen, but can't help much in Clientcoding.. Perhaps you can help?

Random facts:

- There are many open implementations of .MVD (Multi View Demos) for Quakeworld and Quake3 (since years). So, it's not really something new!

- The extension .mvd is already used by Quakeworld mv-demos.

- Q2PRO is the only client which supports MVD

- Q2PRO has no Linux-Server and no Linux-Client (Q2PRO is still in a testing-phase, that can be why)

- Q2PRO uses a nifty scripting system for messages and stuff, gently got from fuhquake, or let's better say ZQuake (q1)

- NoCheat 2.34 still has no Linux-Client

- Me whines :)

PS: Don't reply, if you only want to flame me. Saves some bytes.
ImageOwner of http://aq2maps.quadaver.org
Not part of #aq2admins for a reason.
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

I honestly dont care about the eyecandy. i dont even use those 32bit textures :)

What's this all about?:

IMHO: NoCheat should advance a bit faster. If Q2-Clients would have a look at advanced QW-clients, things would go faster.

Yeh bryce should do it faster, but then again he's the only coder working on it and so far he did a pretty good job. Some guys on nc's forum are trying to convince him to do a opensource nc. This would be a very bad thing. The less ppl know the source the safer nc stays.

And NC is for protection. It never was meant to be an gfx enhanced q2.

mvd, auto record, scripting system, q3 pak system, and some small gfx engine updates would be a nice add tho. or a HLTV-like system :P

Apr + NoCheat would be neat. Make nc transparent or something.

Oh well, guess we have to wait for nocheat 2.35. No one knows what bryce will add plus the new nc protection stuff.
Last edited by Den on Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
Haudrauf
tripped on its own grenade

Post by Haudrauf »

Quake2 is open source.

NoCheat is too.

The security routines aren't - which is right.

This means: Bryce still has to code the anti-cheating stuff whilst others can implement features. This is, what i wanted to say. :)

Looking forward to nc 2.35 too.. :hop:
ImageOwner of http://aq2maps.quadaver.org
Not part of #aq2admins for a reason.