NCServer coming up

The place to discuss your client and server issues, or to post your client and server related problems. Now with added Anticheat flavour.

Moderator: Moderators

kaaos
blew itself up

Post by kaaos »

actually some servers do require nocheat (jolt for example). as I've said before I think nocheat does make cheating harder but it doesn't prevent it. nocheat is ok for example in tournaments where you play for pride and glory but it shouldn't be forced on public servers. yes, it might prevent for some amateurs cheating but you can always go and complain to an admin? many people prefer apr quake more than nc.
THEIR WHITE FLAGS ARE NO MATCH FOR OUR MACHINEGUNS
Clement
Master of the Universe

Post by Clement »

Some servers do require NoCheat, but that has nothing to do with running NCServer.. that's a modified version of Q2Admin and those two shouldn't be mistaken for each other..
kaaos
blew itself up

Post by kaaos »

yeah yeah, that went a bit offtopic :I
THEIR WHITE FLAGS ARE NO MATCH FOR OUR MACHINEGUNS
Haudrauf
tripped on its own grenade

Post by Haudrauf »

Now, get back to NCServer! Not NoCheat (client).

(@morpher: .. which is, IMHO rather a modified q2-binary than a modified q2admin)

Nonetheless, the playerspawning (just the thing behind corners), especially grungy maps like teamjungle, jungle1 .. suxx.

Urban, which has hard corners, works better there.

NCServer pisses me off. Very good approach/idea, but still far away from completion - to be essentially used on servers. (imho)

Yet, everybody would say, just don't play there. Yeh true... just don't play :) hadasdaderhar..

Someone before said: it's just a question of how far we would like to go for cheat protection.. yo, security is always the opposite of freedom. So if you mind, i feel cramped.

/Hau
Last edited by Haudrauf on Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageOwner of http://aq2maps.quadaver.org
Not part of #aq2admins for a reason.
dudemcpek
had its throat slit

Post by dudemcpek »

Now there's NCserver on DA main... I have no fun playing on servers which have NCserver. There's no active server on which my ping is less than 50. People dissapearing before they should; if he's behind a box and jumps I see him only in his highest position, if he rushes to me I see him way too late, if he crouches right on the corner I can't see him right away... :(

Sux :!:
Stric
needs some Pepto Bismol

Post by Stric »

AssKick3r wrote:Now there's NCserver on DA main... I have no fun playing on servers which have NCserver. There's no active server on which my ping is less than 50. People dissapearing before they should; if he's behind a box and jumps I see him only in his highest position, if he rushes to me I see him way too late, if he crouches right on the corner I can't see him right away... :(

Sux :!:

Agree. Players with low pings ~30 dont have that problems and they might dont know what we are talking about... We had 1 cw once on q2.online.no i think and our ping was ~80 and their around 30. We played Rexero and it suxed alot because they "abuse" NCserver to to get advantage on us. Moving UP and DOWN at the top of the leader . The models were disappearing while they should be visable. :x :?
^stric^
Vermin
plummets to its death

Post by Vermin »

And ncserver can't stop cheating either. Or it can make wallhacks useless (value 2 if i remember right) but then it needs to prevent you from hearing the footsteps of an enemy who you would hear normally but he just happens to be behind a wall so ncserver prevents you from hearing him. So that would alter the gameplay and it wouldn't be the same game anymore since you can't use sounds for detecting people behind walls, buildings or whatever. Well then there is the other way (value 1) which allows you to hear the sounds but then again it can be hacked because someone can make a program which calculates where the sounds are coming from and then draws the player there. So sadly ncserver is yet another useless thingie against cheating. +all those porblems which u seem to face in servers where they use ncserver.
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

I dont see a reason why you should be so negative about ncserver? Be glad that there is some1 who tries to help the q2 scene.
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
Clement
Master of the Universe

Post by Clement »

Ok.. let me put it this way:

NCServer with setting 1 (still able to hear sounds..) prevents A LOT of wallhacks.. only wallhack-hack usable on NCServer atm is FRKQ2, and the admins can easily catch guys using this.. the tricky part is busting guys using the old cheats tbh.. the ones that around trying to simulate NoCheat 2.34.. so actually NCServer is saving us a lot of troubles, so don't come saying that it doesn't work..
Stric
needs some Pepto Bismol

Post by Stric »

It looks that you guys dont have that problems ... It`s a big difference to gameplay.
^stric^
Stric
needs some Pepto Bismol

Post by Stric »

And I didnt say that NC is wrong or sth. It`s ok to have something that can caught cheaters but all I want is to have eaqual chances as low ping players.
^stric^
dudemcpek
had its throat slit

Post by dudemcpek »

Helping scene? If there's gonna be even more servers using ncserver I'll quit playing in very short time... Of course it's great for most of u, u have active servers in ur own land so probably u don't even know what we're saying.

Instead of enforcing NC and having NCserver on the server there should be more active admins.
Haudrauf

Post by Haudrauf »

Agree to Asskicker.
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

If its such a big problem why havent u contacted Bryce and explained it all to him ?
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
Haudrauf

Post by Haudrauf »

oh found this "old" thread..
my answer here is:

It's still the funny serveradmins who are going to use this thing (ncserver) in "public" spaces.

Btw, i'm a low ping player in .de and i hate this player-teleporting-bug like hell. i notice this "teleporting" often enough - even with ping 15..