One of Blue Vex's passions

The general catch-all forum for Action Quake2 related discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

Requesting silencer and slippers for comedy action.
Hawk
found a way out

Post by Hawk »

can't be arsed to read all the pages at the moment, but this particular thing:
-Grenades should bounce off sky boxes, not disapear into them.
Make sure that's only the roof box in that case, I dont think you should be able to bounce them of the sides of the map, since that is really out of the map, and if you throw your grenade there it's your fault :P

I'm not even sure the grenade should bounce of the "sky roof" either, rather than this it should fly properly and come back down again or something, since this ill leave the knifes getting stuck in the roof as well(I think)
inter-net is good, that means inter-great should be even better
Span
sank like a rock

Post by Span »

Den wrote:and what about a buildin stats program? like the irc thing but instead it uploads something to a website.
Not a bad suggestion at all.
"fifan va lätt!"
tyldis
sank like a rock

Post by tyldis »

If you send your patches to me I will add them to my CVS so we can keep track of changes.
Decisions on what stays and what goes can be done later after some testing.
If you do not know how to send patches you can send me the changed files.
I'll make some system for distributing sources sometime tomorrow. A simple webpage too.
Down, not across.
sajh
is legless

Post by sajh »

Blue Vex wrote:MP5 has better spread, thus it has a slight advantage over distance (also because it has no kickback), but in every other place, the M4 is better.

Once again i disagree, i dont think that the m4 is superiour in close combat either. I usually dont have any problems using mp5 in close combat vs m4-players. But i guess we will never agree on this.. you think the m4 is the best weapon, i think the mp5 is the best..
whine...<br />
"på kvällarna förvandlas den spenslige solidas till....... STÅL-TIRRE!" - minch<br />
"i hoped i cud get a chance in iN when i saw even solidas cud do it " - Snigge/2fast4j00<br />
"iN minus sajh would be a nice clan and way better, but i would never ever stand playing with such an annoying player, lucky me that i didnt get a try in iN" - Romo
" it seems he is a "rich" mans child with to much attitude, he's like the man version of Paris Hilton... such a jerk" - Romo
stan0x
killed itself
In-game Name: stan0x
Operating System: Windows 7, linux
Processor model/speed: i7 2600K
Memory: 16GB DRR3
Hard drive: 1 x 240GB SSD 5 x 2 TB
Graphics card: GTX470
Monitor: LG
Mouse: MX
Keyboard: Steelseries G7

Post by stan0x »

i like the game as it is. O_o
#clan.fubar #narf #heks #aq2world
Span
sank like a rock

Post by Span »

stan0x wrote:i like the game as it is. O_o
Coming from a part-time CS player :)
"fifan va lätt!"
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

The build-in stats thingy, I think it should should focus on being something for the player itself, as in, automatically logging stats, then making cool little graphs and tables from them. Of course it would be awesome if it send the data to a stats-master-server too, but damn that would be really hard to arrange, wouldn't it? Maybe having store the stats serverside, like it's done now, but the server would keep this data, compress, and then try to send it later on. Oh I dunno, I'm a noob.

Arild, I think the thing with grenades has been removed. Can't say I disagree, if you ruin it by throwing it out of the map (whether it's against the upper sky or a side-sky,) it is your own fault.
Gore Vidal: "To succeed is not enough. Others must fail."
Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

tyldis wrote:If you send your patches to me I will add them to my CVS so we can keep track of changes.
Decisions on what stays and what goes can be done later after some testing.
If you do not know how to send patches you can send me the changed files.
I'll make some system for distributing sources sometime tomorrow. A simple webpage too.
We? I hope you're not talking to Span or me. This is my project, and without Span it won't happen. That's the team. It's me and Span.
When I read your post, it seems like you are suddenly apart of this.
I certainly don't want anyone else on the team. You for example just want to nerf the M4 into oblivion, and the M4 won't be touched. I don't want anyone else in the team so that they can tell Span to make changes whenever I'm not around, and so that they can argue with me all day.
I don't want to have BETA stages, and I don't want to publish any gamex86.dll's untill this project is done.
There will then be a webpage where people can download the finished project + the source.
I appreciate it when people are willing to offer help, and the same goes for you. But I didn't like the way you're suddenly assuming you're apart of the team. :/
Hawk wrote:Make sure that's only the roof box in that case, I dont think you should be able to bounce them of the sides of the map, since that is really out of the map, and if you throw your grenade there it's your fault.
I havent written it any place, but I have this in the back of my mind.
sajh wrote:you think the m4 is the best weapon, i think the mp5 is the best..
You're right, and the public uses M4.
Last edited by Blue Vex on Sun Sep 12, 2004 6:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steinar "Blue Vex" Furuli
I snipe with my Pistol, and your Rifle.
Span
sank like a rock

Post by Span »

Hawk wrote:Make sure that's only the roof box in that case, I dont think you should be able to bounce them of the sides of the map, since that is really out of the map, and if you throw your grenade there it's your fault.
The whole grenades-issue is a very difficult matter. Now, I haven't really had the time to look at the code that deals with physics and collision detection yet, but I doubt it's one that will be easily solved.

From what I've gathered so far, the movement type of a grenade is that of bouncing, a completely different type of movement than the knives. So if I can do collision detection on a movement per movement-basis, then that wouldn't be any problem with them sticking to the map-boundries.

For what happens to the rest of the entities who's movement is defined as bouncing, I'm not sure. They will probably bounce of the boundry as the grenades will. For entities like gibs, that's not a serious issue, as they don't have the projected velocity to really go anywhere. The problem is that I'm not fully updated on each and every entity that uses bounce as a movement type, so some unexpected results may occur unless I find someway to hard-code an exception in the collision detection that only affects the grenades.

But I am almost certain that, if I figure out a way to do so, then they will also bounce off the sides of the map. I'm quite positive that it's impossible to differ the upper boundries of the map from the others unless it's somehow defined as a property in the BSP itself - which I doubt.

So I wouldn't expect the feature/fix to be included in the final release as definately. But until I get a closer look at it, it'll remain a goal.
Last edited by Span on Sun Sep 12, 2004 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"fifan va lätt!"
Dirty_Lobster
joined the game

Post by Dirty_Lobster »

Span wrote:
Den wrote:and what about a buildin stats program? like the irc thing but instead it uploads something to a website.
Not a bad suggestion at all.
All been done before @ Mats Hus av ajaj
url was sprayers.stinker.nu i think.

stats of everything players, weapon usage.. maps. and so on ;)
I'm sure there are many swedish players who remember this.. ;))))

It was fun. B>
aka e min bitch ;)
Span
sank like a rock

Post by Span »

Dirty_Lobster wrote:All been done before @ Mats Hus av ajaj
url was sprayers.stinker.nu i think.
Do you know which mod it used? And where I might download the source?

It would've been great if I could include it without having to write the code myself.
"fifan va lätt!"
Jazzie
is now shorter

Post by Jazzie »

mats hus kicked ass. especially when he had disabled the score.
fell in love with the game
Nozaki
blew up

Post by Nozaki »

Span wrote:Oh, and nice to see a friendly face around, Nozaki.
Indeed it is! :)

Blue Vex wrote: I wasn't very good back then. I remember I received an e-mail that we were going to play a cw, and it said I was going to use the Shotgun. :)
back in the days when we planed CW's weeks ahead :)

looking forward to trye this out :) but right now I got net only at work :\

btw. name could maybe be AQ2: TNG Tweaked, Tweaked TNG... something?
blood inside....
tyldis
sank like a rock

Post by tyldis »

@Blue Vex
Didn't get the impression there was a team, looked more like brainstorming in a forum. Also got the impression that you wanted this to be open (since you are using the AQ2World forums as a changelog/scratchboard).

I will just fiddle around for my self, I have ditched yours and Span's code (as you indirectly requested).

---

Anyone that has suggestions or code are welcome to submit them.
Down, not across.