BSPPack - ending your packaging worries? [UPDATED]

Forum for Skins, Maps, Configs etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mappers

NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

n99 wrote:How about a progam that starts at the last pak and works back to the first, extracting them all in one folder, then packing them back into one pak, would that be hard?
Shouldn't it be the other way around? Isn't the last pak the one that is dominant? (i.e. if you have conback.pcx in both pak3.pak and pak5.pak the one in pak5.pak will be used..) I thought it was that way around...

anyway... this program was simple to write since the .bsp format is fairly simple, and java has a zip api built in, so I didn't actually have to write almost any code for the zip part of the program... I have no idea what the .pak format looks like. Not even if it is compressed or not... but I could try to find out... so it could range from very easy to hard :) (bare in mind that I'm not the best of coders :) )...
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

pak = zip format.
Gore Vidal: "To succeed is not enough. Others must fail."
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

n99 wrote:pak = zip format.
wrong...

pk3 = zip... pak is (after some reading) just an uncompressed library of files.. it's easy to extract/create a .pak file apparently... there are lots of pak tools out there... but I guess I could write one as well :) don't think any of them would suit this specific task anyway :)
Preto
found a way out

Post by Preto »

I LOVE YOU AND YOUR PROGRAM!
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

Yeh, it actually works good when u read the manual :p
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
Janner
found a way out

Post by Janner »

almost 1 year old thread...
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

almost account deleted!...

Neway, stop ur whine, i just tried that program :)
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
Flunx
feels some chest pain
In-game Name: iN Flunx

Post by Flunx »

Why isn't this a sticky? This program rules. It's a damned shame that more people doesn't use it. Yes I mean you mapperboys!

Do it... do it now
I like to play games, not watch them
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

ok sir!
Flunx
feels some chest pain
In-game Name: iN Flunx

Post by Flunx »

Sweet Den!
I like to play games, not watch them
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Hehe :) niiiice, I have sticky status :mrgreen:. If anyone finds bugs, and or extra features to be added, I'm all ears. I'm actually thinking of porting it to Qt (C++ based library) to make it faster and more goodlooking. There was also a few "not so good" design choices made when I wrote the program, so I might as well rewrite the whole thing then :)
vampyre
is connecting

Post by vampyre »

doesn't seem to be working for me. Do i just locate the .bsp and what do i put in paths? Don't get why its not working.
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Ooops, I've missed this post ;) You probably won't need it anymore, but if anyone else is having problems... please check the link to the tutorial in the first post of this thread. RTFM is really good for you mmkay? :P
fuct
is full of buckshot

Post by fuct »

I have a problem, well its more of an annoyance than a problem.

This is a screenshot of the zip file for pauhi's new map rotten town opened in windows xp.

Notice the files that aren't supposed to be there?
This is what happens when i try to copy and past these files into my aq2 directory.

This happens with ALL maps packed this way and it has been happening me for a very long time but i couldnt be arsed goin to all this trouble. For every folder created this way there is one of these mysterious files created too. For all i know they are supposed to be there lol.

This is aimed mostly at nrg but what do u think?
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

fuct wrote:This happens with ALL maps packed this way and it has been happening me for a very long time but i couldnt be arsed goin to all this trouble. For every folder created this way there is one of these mysterious files created too. For all i know they are supposed to be there lol.

This is aimed mostly at nrg but what do u think?
Have you tried other .zip files made by java programs? It's been ages since I actually looked at the BSPPack code, but I'd say that almost ALL the code concerning the .zip generation was Java builtin functions. Therefore my initial reaction would be that it's windows that fucks up... (as usual) :)