Martial Artists / Budokas?

The infamous forum of spam and anything unrelated to Action Quake2.

Moderator: Moderators

Royal^
was in the wrong place

Post by Royal^ »

Im sorry pauhi
Last edited by Royal^ on Wed Dec 15, 2004 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
admin of #DuraWorks - #shoutcastftw - AQ2Suomi.com
Sovnig
blew itself up

Post by Sovnig »

Explain more about that pressurepoint thingie : ) Im thinking of starting some martial arts, just to keep fit, but I've got no clue on which : )
Anyways, all i know about pressure points is "The Exploding Heart Technique" :D

Edit: wassup with the IRL-FIGHTING discussion? Just be nice and ppl will be nice towards you, that's a better technique than any sensei can teach you I'm sure? I've never even been close to a fight personally.
A good discussion is like a miniskirt; long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to pertain interest
//Splinter
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

Sovnig wrote:Explain more about that pressurepoint thingie : ) Im thinking of starting some martial arts, just to keep fit, but I've got no clue on which : )
Anyways, all i know about pressure points is "The Exploding Heart Technique" :D
that one only works in a movie ;D
hmm, what could i say. if you wanna get to fit, then you should think about those ones that keeps you in fit ;p EKJT is about regular situations, like in a small wc in a club or something like that, so the techniques are pretty much basic ones, meaning no high kicks or swinging hockeysticks :D i mean, there's usually no space and time for those things. and if someone sees just the part where you bust someones teeth out, then it'll be like "i saw you hit him in the face" and a bad thing for you. so it's better to do a small technique, meaning that it doesn't look violent or anything, and busting someones teeth/nose will cost you.
calming someone down with small things, gestures etc and small effective techniques to avoid getting yourself beaten up. and ofcourse defending yourself against someone with a knife or something. but you should remember that if someone holds a knife on your throat, then that's pretty much about it, you'd probably be dead if you tried something. the main target in selfdefence is to get yourself out of it, not to break someones arm or anything :) so aim in using only the things necessary to get out of it. this is pretty much what EKJT is about. ofcourse you could knock someone down using a pressure point, but you don't have any reason to do that. showing off is for retards ;p

and hmm. MA's to keep you in fit. pretty much anything goes, but i'd avoid anything that's focusing on small parts of techniques, like throws or kicking/hitting. go and try, maybe just one time. find the thing you wanna do :)
Sync' imeiz - AQ2Suomi & AQ2World forum moderator, part-time TATM-writer
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

I've been in quite alot of fights in my days, usually outnumbered. Don't know shit about martial arts, I just go into some kind of frenzy where I don't feel pain or constraint. It's quite fucked, actually. I mean, people who ARE good can use that weakness against u, and those who aren't.. well you might get arrested for bashing them too bad.

I haven't had a fight in over 3 years now, and I'm quite happy to keep it like that. Martial arts seem nice though, but I can't afford anything fancy at the moment, maybe I'll go and score myself some karate master chick.
Gore Vidal: "To succeed is not enough. Others must fail."
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

n99 wrote:...maybe I'll go and score myself some karate master chick.
that's the cheap way to go about it :mrgreen: (make sure not to tell a chick like that she's cheap tho :P)
pauhi
melted

Post by pauhi »

Sovnig wrote: Edit: wassup with the IRL-FIGHTING discussion? Just be nice and ppl will be nice towards you
Unfortunately that's now always true, there's always a (perhaps drunken) showoffy guy who thinks you stole his beer or he's just intending to physically hurt you for fun (or why not rob?).

"There is no better feeling in the world than dancing through life with the knowledge that what ever threatening happens, you will prevail. This kind of impunity actually leads one to humility."
-Paul Vunak

That's one of the reasons I study martial arts.
›› pauhi ››
Spill the blood of the fucking lamb
Sovnig
blew itself up

Post by Sovnig »

pauhi wrote: Unfortunately that's now always true, there's always a (perhaps drunken) showoffy guy who thinks you stole his beer or he's just intending to physically hurt you for fun (or why not rob?).
Your little part of the world must suck then : (
Anyways, I'm gon' try that Brasilian Jiu-Jitsu thing I read about somewhere out whenever I get the time (and the guts) to go down and sign up : ) Looks like it's not so much about all the small moronic techniques or the crappy culture-ideals (no offense meant) which the other sports seem to be wanting to teach me : )
Less talk and more action!! :rambo:
A good discussion is like a miniskirt; long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to pertain interest
//Splinter
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

what's wrong with small techniques, if they work like you want? :D

anyway, if you wanna get some fit then brazilian should be ok. what i've heard about it, is that it's pretty much wrestling on the ground, but that's not easy and gets you out of breath fast :P so have fun :)
pauhi
melted

Post by pauhi »

imeiz wrote:what i've heard about it, is that it's pretty much wrestling on the ground
"mat-randori".

Brasilian Jiu-Jitsu, according to my understanding, has a lot of mat-techniques, locks and throws. It's very useful in a real fight (anyone seen one of Gracie brothers fighting in a ultimate matches?).

I also believe that Judo is based on Jiu-Jitsu (correct me if I'm wrong).
›› pauhi ››
Spill the blood of the fucking lamb
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

pauhi wrote:I also believe that Judo is based on Jiu-Jitsu (correct me if I'm wrong).
Ju-jutsu(jiu-jitsu/ju-jitsu, the same :P) is pretty much karate + judo, so karate is kicks/punches and that stuff. Judo then is throws and mat :) The reason why I use common language explanations, is that more people will understand them :)

And yes, many Brazilian ju-jutsukas who do freefighting/ultimate fighting are pretty amazing with their mat-techniques :)
Sovnig
blew itself up

Post by Sovnig »

Whuts a mat-technique? I might need to know that word now that I'm becoming a champion.. : )
//Splinter
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

Sovnig wrote:Whuts a mat-technique? I might need to know that word now that I'm becoming a champion.. : )
when you wrestle on the floor, you use mat-techniques(duh, mat-technique = technique on mat ;p) to outwreste your opponent. those ultimate fighters take their opponent down and tide em up ;D
loccen
is connecting

Post by loccen »

check out #mma @quakenet if u have any questions about martial-art..
Sovnig
blew itself up

Post by Sovnig »

imeiz wrote:when you wrestle on the floor, you use mat-techniques(duh, mat-technique = technique on mat ;p) to outwreste your opponent. those ultimate fighters take their opponent down and tide em up ;D
I see... thx : )
//Splinter
emu
Syndrome of a Down

Post by emu »

feels like ninja stuff and shit karate yoyo and all that has been more popular amongst the nerds latley. must be naruto or something
Call me your valentine call me once tonight