Textures and new maps

Forum for Skins, Maps, Configs etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mappers

nemesis
sank like a rock

Post by nemesis »

Best way to avoid this mess is when making a map use a seperate(new) folder for all textures used in a map. OR use only the ones that came with maps, not the later updated textures. Atm when making a map Im using a seperate(new) folder for 98% of the used textures so this shouldnt be a problem anymore. :hop:
· clan Survival · #clansurvival @ IRCNet/QuakeNet, /msg Neme^ · www.lahtela.com/survival · AQ2Suomi admin, AQ2World moderator and a member of AQ2Admins
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

nemesis wrote:Best way to avoid this mess is when making a map use a seperate(new) folder for all textures used in a map.
This would be a very bad idea, since it will generate a shitload of duplicate textures for no reason. The texture rules are simple:

1) If you use an old texture, leave it in its original directory, and this way not generating yet another duplicate texture in the action/textures folder.
2) If you create a new texture, place it wherever you want, but make sure that you don't overwrite an already existing texture. A good way to make sure that this doesn't happen is to place new textures in a directory with the same name as the map you're creating.
3) if you modify an already exisiting texture, save it with a new name, and use rule 2 for naming it.

There you go.

Oh and caracol: you said in IRC that you're missing textures if you turn 32-bit textures off? I've never had that problem and I've been using 8-bit textures forever. :poke:
Caracol
was picked off

Post by Caracol »

I said "I think it would happend" I don't know, there must be a map with new and only 32 bits textures... no idea really. If someone puts a new texture in 32 bits, and I deactivate the wal replacement, will I get the redish no-texture texture, right?
To avoid that in the case.

C.
Ne quid nimis.
nemesis
sank like a rock

Post by nemesis »

NRGizeR wrote:1) If you use an old texture, leave it in its original directory, and this way not generating yet another duplicate texture in the action/textures folder.
2) If you create a new texture, place it wherever you want, but make sure that you don't overwrite an already existing texture. A good way to make sure that this doesn't happen is to place new textures in a directory with the same name as the map you're creating.
3) if you modify an already exisiting texture, save it with a new name, and use rule 2 for naming it.
Yeah, thats what I meant. Lack of some words tho. O_o
· clan Survival · #clansurvival @ IRCNet/QuakeNet, /msg Neme^ · www.lahtela.com/survival · AQ2Suomi admin, AQ2World moderator and a member of AQ2Admins
KriBBa
was flattened

Post by KriBBa »

just tell how the **** we get our old tgas etc back, since im no q2 map haxxor (take it how u like it)...
do i have to delete the following tga he wrote, and if is tahat everyone to skip the problem later?, and then redl the maps that are gheey?

Yep, delete those tga's from textures/urban folder and the problem will be solved. You can always download them back later.
(20:04:12) (lillemaan-) kribbaway fast vi spelar inte om du spelar
Proto
saw the light

Post by Proto »

let me be the first to say "what, the, fuck?"
Plummet is my middle name..
Sovnig
blew itself up

Post by Sovnig »

At least make a huge warning if you're redoing some of our old textures.
And NO, not in the readme... noone reads readme's, type it in big bold letters in your "hey this is a new map, plz dl" thread

thank you
A good discussion is like a miniskirt; long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to pertain interest
//Splinter
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Sovnig wrote:At least make a huge warning if you're redoing some of our old textures.
Heh, like I said, the problem with 32-bit textures is that there are so many different sets out there (many different 32-bit textures to replace the same 8-bit texture) so even if the mapper in question doesn't make any textures at all, and only puts his own 32-bit textures in the .zip, there's still a very high probability that that .zip will contain textures that will conflict with another users 32-bit textures. The only way to get around that as far as I can see, is to NOT overwrite any files when extracting the maps.

As for getting overwritten files back, well that's the same problem as with any file that has been overwritten on your system. Check your trashcan, and if not found there, redownload the old textures.
Sovnig
blew itself up

Post by Sovnig »

NRGizeR wrote:
Sovnig wrote:At least make a huge warning if you're redoing some of our old textures.
Heh, like I said, the problem with 32-bit textures is that there are so many different sets out there (many different 32-bit textures to replace the same 8-bit texture) so even if the mapper in question doesn't make any textures at all, and only puts his own 32-bit textures in the .zip, there's still a very high probability that that .zip will contain textures that will conflict with another users 32-bit textures. The only way to get around that as far as I can see, is to NOT overwrite any files when extracting the maps.

As for getting overwritten files back, well that's the same problem as with any file that has been overwritten on your system. Check your trashcan, and if not found there, redownload the old textures.

Can't you just rename the textures you're redoing? Or make the map load from textures/mapname folder ?
A good discussion is like a miniskirt; long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to pertain interest
//Splinter
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Sovnig wrote:Can't you just rename the textures you're redoing? Or make the map load from textures/mapname folder ?
And yet again, for 8-bit textures yes, this is the only way, especially since all maps need to include 8-bit textures to even compile with the majority of compile tools. (read "my" texture naming rules above) But as for 32-bit textures, every one out there making replacing replacement 32-bit textures (there are many large sets) need to use the same filename as was used in the map, if a player doesn't like the texture, (doesn't need to be a mapper) he will replace it, but has to use the same filename or the q2 client won't know from where to load it.

So the bottom line: Many of these texture conflicts occur because the mapper that has made the map in question, has a different 32-bit texture set than you. It doesn't neccessarily mean that he has changed any of them, lets just say for example that he uses axion, and you the aq2inst 32-bit texture set. Then he will include his 32-bit textures in the .zip, and if you overwrite the files, you will get them as well.

JUST DON'T OVERWRITE ANY FILES WHEN EXTRACTING A MAP!! :mrgreen:
Sovnig
blew itself up

Post by Sovnig »

NRGizeR wrote: And yet again, for 8-bit textures yes, this is the only way, especially since all maps need to include 8-bit textures to even compile with the majority of compile tools. (read "my" texture naming rules above) But as for 32-bit textures, every one out there making replacing replacement 32-bit textures (there are many large sets) need to use the same filename as was used in the map, if a player doesn't like the texture, (doesn't need to be a mapper) he will replace it, but has to use the same filename or the q2 client won't know from where to load it.

So the bottom line: Many of these texture conflicts occur because the mapper that has made the map in question, has a different 32-bit texture set than you. It doesn't neccessarily mean that he has changed any of them, lets just say for example that he uses axion, and you the aq2inst 32-bit texture set. Then he will include his 32-bit textures in the .zip, and if you overwrite the files, you will get them as well.

JUST DON'T OVERWRITE ANY FILES WHEN EXTRACTING A MAP!! :mrgreen:
I understood that, but if the mapper makes the textures from his map be in a specific folder, then it won't overwrite anything will it?
//Splinter
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Sovnig wrote:I understood that, but if the mapper makes the textures from his map be in a specific folder, then it won't overwrite anything will it?
... and instead you'll get 10000 (not much of an exaggeration either) texture duplicates... that is NOT a good solution...
Sovnig
blew itself up

Post by Sovnig »

NRGizeR wrote:
Sovnig wrote:I understood that, but if the mapper makes the textures from his map be in a specific folder, then it won't overwrite anything will it?
... and instead you'll get 10000 (not much of an exaggeration either) texture duplicates... that is NOT a good solution...
Well, heh it's not because those files are very large. Oh, I don't know... I just stated how i'd prefer it.
Then it'd be a lot easier to edit every map too, think if all maps had texture folders named the name of the map o_O
//Splinter