are finaly up again :)

The place to discuss your client and server issues, or to post your client and server related problems. Now with added Anticheat flavour.

Moderator: Moderators

iMMortal
joined the game

tyldum server

Post by iMMortal »

Jazzie wrote:so, tyldis ain't adminning them anymore?
humm, didn't say that:p well yes he is, he is the owner of them. im just a second admin of the servers. did that answer your question?
Server admin for the Tyldum servers:<br /><br />
Ip:<br /><br />
clan.tyldum.com<br /><br />
public.tyldum.com<br /><br />
Keep Tyldum alive!
iMMortal
joined the game

tyldum servers

Post by iMMortal »

Well Tyldum are now once again updated... if you find any things you want to change, contact me (iMMortal) ore Tyldis at #tyldum
The servers requiers NoCheat V2.34 and only that one... you can't come with 2.40 ore 2.32...
2.34 is the one, this is done because we want to keep cheaters away from tyldum... if you think and mean that we should change requird version to 2.40 contact us.
The links:

NoCheat website: http://www.bryceinc.com/index.php?main=NoCheat

NoCheat 2.34: http://www.bryceinc.com/index.php?main= ... &type=file

NoCheat forums: http://www.bryceinc.com/phpBB2/index.php

And we got new hosts...
for the clan war servers it is...
clan.tyldum.com
and for public
public.tyldum.com
port ain't needed... since it's defaulth port, were using!
Keep Tyldum alive!
@quakenet #tyldum
Keep Tyldum alive!
Kurupt
:I

Post by Kurupt »

The servers requiers NoCheat V2.34 and only that one
You still don't want to have anyone on the server? :)
iMMortal
joined the game

Post by iMMortal »

Kurupt wrote:
The servers requiers NoCheat V2.34 and only that one
You still don't want to have anyone on the server? :)
hmm if you could tell how to set the possibility to have like nc v2.34 and up to 2.40 and so, plz tell me...
Keep Tyldum alive!
tyldis
sank like a rock

Post by tyldis »

Ohh, Action :)
Let me clarify a few things.

I have received a lot of request to reopen and refurbish the servers. Some say they were they had the lowest number of cheaters of the active servers today. Personally, I think that's just because they never were that popular ;)

The servers are up and running:
public.tyldum.com - for public TP (FF off)
clan.tyldum.com - for clan matches (matchmode, FF off)

Since I have little time to actually play I decided to let Immortal co admin them. I didn't know him prior to this, but he nag'ed on me to get the servers up and seemed like a decent guy. I am still the dictator :)

One of the problems with running a low-cheat server is that I feel the need to force the usage of NoCheat. I know this isn't optimal (some people have legitimate issues with the client, the Linux version is outdated, no Mac version), but I judge it to be a valid tradeoff. There are plenty other servers to play on, so it's not like anyone is missign vital action.
I am, however, not certain which version of NC to enforce. It would be nice to have iENO's source and see if I could hack in support for multiple versions, but that is not likely. I'm a bad coder and iENO is kinda protective (and I respect that).

Comments or questions can be asked in this thread or on #tyldum on QuakeNet and are very much apreciated.

Oh, and the servers have 265 maps in the votelist, have fun ;)
Down, not across.
tyldis
sank like a rock

Post by tyldis »

Okay. I have been thinking a bit and decided to drop the NoCheat requirement. It's not that essential in my anti cheat strategy as I have other measures aswell.
However, when the next final major release is done I will probably reconsider.
Down, not across.
Haudrauf
tripped on its own grenade

Post by Haudrauf »

good :)

to quote myself from somewhere:
PS: Anti-Cheating features usually get hacked in a short matter of time. And if serveradmins begin enforcing a specific client like "NoCheat", which does not have a linux version (2.34) ready, they rather BAN linux users THAN cheaters. You serveradmins exclude legit people, who would perhaps move to another game then... or hack the client for linux so it simulates 2.34. Do you like that?!? :) A word to serveradmins: Think about "enforcing clients" again.
ImageOwner of http://aq2maps.quadaver.org
Not part of #aq2admins for a reason.
iMMortal
joined the game

Post by iMMortal »

so to the people which have tested the tyldum servers, what do you think about it? it's now fully updated. and possible to game on.
Keep Tyldum alive!
JezeT
found a way out
In-game Name: JezeT

Post by JezeT »

It's always good to see new servers.
It's like deja vu all over again...
Jazzie
is now shorter

Post by Jazzie »

Same as boomtown for me. That is playable, but not good.
fell in love with the game
iMMortal
joined the game

Post by iMMortal »

well that's good to hear jazzie :) but people give me your opinions about the server and what you maby would have on the server. :) im listening, because both me and tyldis want the server to be the best... Well anyways
Keep Tyldum alive! :D
Keep Tyldum alive!

Post by Guest »

Haudrauf wrote:good :)

to quote myself from somewhere:
PS: Anti-Cheating features usually get hacked in a short matter of time. And if serveradmins begin enforcing a specific client like "NoCheat", which does not have a linux version (2.34) ready, they rather BAN linux users THAN cheaters. You serveradmins exclude legit people, who would perhaps move to another game then... or hack the client for linux so it simulates 2.34. Do you like that?!? :) A word to serveradmins: Think about "enforcing clients" again.
I fully agree to this.
However... My motivation is to have a server unlike any other. Since very few [big] servers enforce NoCheat, I figured it would be worth a shot to reduce cheaters. Enforcing NoCheat does not eliminate cheaters, but does bring the number down *a lot*. Also, there are plenty of alternatives to my servers, you are free to go elsewhere. I wish there was a magic bullett against cheaters that would not eliminate legitimate users, but sadly there isn't.

You got to keep in mind that we, the admins, create mainly servers *we* would want to play on. Not what the community or individuals want. We do it for free, remember?
I want a server with old fashioned gameplay and few cheaters.

Also note that if for some reason all servers started enforcing NoCheat, I would open my server up to those who for some reason cannot meet thet requirement. I will always do the oposite of everybody else when it comes to this.

When the next NoCheat is out I will probably enforce NoCheat again. Right now the situation with an open beta is too big of a pain.

That said, I'm open for suggestions and ideas on how to improve the server, but the final decision will always be mine. I pay for it, after all ;)
tyldis
sank like a rock

Post by tyldis »

...and next time I'll remember to log in. Perhaps the mods should disable anonymous posting?

And what struck me after posting the prvious post is that I might consider running a sponsored server with only settings a community decides on. A few votes in here, for instance, should make it representative for the community. Chip in 5€ and have a vote, or something.
If you guys want that, let me know. Perhaps other admins would commit to this aswell, giving you an identical setup with servers located across Europe.

Just a thought, might be bullshit.
Down, not across.
Nozaki
blew up

Post by Nozaki »

tyldis wrote:Okay. I have been thinking a bit and decided to drop the NoCheat requirement. It's not that essential in my anti cheat strategy as I have other measures aswell.
However, when the next final major release is done I will probably reconsider.
OMG! Does this mean I can go back to my old home server! :D wheeee
'cuz NoCheat does NOT work with Q2ICE...
btw. tydde, is it the same old rcon? :D hehehe
Haudrauf
tripped on its own grenade

Post by Haudrauf »

Tyldis wrote: However... My motivation is to have a server unlike any other. Since very few [big] servers enforce NoCheat, I figured it would be worth a shot to reduce cheaters. Enforcing NoCheat does not eliminate cheaters, but does bring the number down *a lot*. Also, there are plenty of alternatives to my servers, you are free to go elsewhere. I wish there was a magic bullett against cheaters that would not eliminate legitimate users, but sadly there isn't.
There is a reason why it's _only a few_ big servers enforce NoCheat. Sadly, it were far more before six months.
The biggest german public servers dropped the NoCheat enforcement because they (admin is called "Pain") don't want to ban other platform users. I haven't seen any "cheaters" (Aimbots) there lately.

Tyldis wrote: You got to keep in mind that we, the admins, create mainly servers *we* would want to play on. Not what the community or individuals want. We do it for free, remember?
I want a server with old fashioned gameplay and few cheaters.
You are right when telling me, that serveradmins make their server like a server they want to play on themselves - I am a serveradmin myself.
Tyldis wrote: Also note that if for some reason all servers started enforcing NoCheat, I would open my server up to those who for some reason cannot meet thet requirement. I will always do the oposite of everybody else when it comes to this.
Sounds like a bad habbit to me when wanting to become the best server around.
Tyldis wrote: When the next NoCheat is out I will probably enforce NoCheat again. Right now the situation with an open beta is too big of a pain.
That's quite right - and thus I could follow your decision to first only allow the stable 2.34 version of NoCheat. Still it's not only the diversity of current versions of NoCheat that counts (2.40, 2.34). You know this and considered this a "valid trade-off".
Tyldis wrote: That said, I'm open for suggestions and ideas on how to improve the server, but the final decision will always be mine. I pay for it, after all ;)
... I'm a serveradmin myself (and I pay for it too), yet I would never enforce NoCheat since I am on Linux only and NoCheat doesn't provide a working Linux client that authenticates as such.
No Windows over here. No cheats over here either.

Another reason is the diversity of other clients that have far more nice features than NoCheat has. People wanted a change in a client and moved to Q2ICE, Q2Evolved, Q2Max or AprQuake2 (and more).

Take my opinion as a notice.
ImageOwner of http://aq2maps.quadaver.org
Not part of #aq2admins for a reason.