how to keep aq2 alive?

The general catch-all forum for Action Quake2 related discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Hawk
found a way out

Post by Hawk »

Den.. read between the lines :P

To get a good program, we can't copy steam, I was simply using that expression to make people understand sort of what I had in mind.

Accualy I thought of this program when I was on vacation last year, but I failed to learn programming, so I'm hoping someone else might have some time and knowledge to do this :P

What I had min mind was some sort of program that will do everything you need, like setting up your controls, graphics, sounds, special binds etc, and possibly a game server list, and other stuff that I can't think of right now...

.. on the other hand, what I didn't at all have in mind was a program that doesn't start more than 5% of the time, that takes 4-5 hours to update, and that makes it take 5 minutes to join a game after those 4-5 hours of waiting time. :P
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

To get a good program, we can't copy steam, I was simply using that expression to make people understand sort of what I had in mind.

doh..

Anyway, People who are starting with aq2 are usually persuade by gamers who play the game alot and know it pretty well and when the "newbs" have problems they ask the more experienced players for help and this works much better then a program so i doubt makin a program for things like this will help a lot.

Make a usefull config help file or something, make examples etc.

ill probably get flamed for this, but hey its my opinion :)
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
Sulfate
sank like a rock

Post by Sulfate »

Den.. i join your opion ;)

most people dont know how 2 change the config. this is the anoying problem.... also a good manual for jumping and those things would be perfect.

and a "n00b" train server would be oke, where some skilled players learn the "n00bs" a little bit of the real action ;).

i know the time i was sarting aq2. t was horrible.. i got some help from some players they learned me really much and i saw the light of aq2 again :P, and god thanks iam still playing! :D:D :hop:
Nobody Likes Us We Dont Care!
Winball
found a way out

Post by Winball »

Sulfate
sank like a rock

Post by Sulfate »

Winball they are thinking off more things for n00bs, if i look @ that as a n00b dunno shit then :D..but kinda that indd
Haudrauf
tripped on its own grenade

Post by Haudrauf »

If someone wants to learn, he will.

If you want someone to get into the game, help him.

If someone wants your help, help him.

If he doesn't want your help, because he doesn't want to play, leave him alone.

If he doesn't want your help, because he wants to discover for himself, leave him alone.

--- :)

Best ways to help someone who is willing to learn from others: Personal help (IRC, ICQ, TeamSpeak... whatever can be person2person communication)

Just get the newbie-peeps onto a scene-channel and don't be hostile. Tell everyone who joins the channel: "Questions are welcome."

imho, this helps most.
ImageOwner of http://aq2maps.quadaver.org
Not part of #aq2admins for a reason.
Haudrauf

Post by Haudrauf »

Arrr.. and to this "steam-idea".. how did steam of valve help people to get knowledge of the game?

"Now we have steam as messenger and gamebrowser, no need for IRC" ... don't fool yourself.. IRC is the maincommunication of AQ2-players and their scene (atm). You don't want to cut that off.

Better giving other people some more support to get into IRC and help them to install All-Seeing-Eye. :) etc. etc.

All-Time best receipt: Do something (even when it's a small contribution) for others to keep things alive.
Haudrauf

Post by Haudrauf »

And to make things complete....

One of the best and general things is a good Client to play with.

I am not talking of anti-cheating measures. Security always means less freedom. (Churchill?) I am talking of features.. both, eyecandy and gameplay-enhancing things.

So far, the best enhancement gives you q2pro. MVD2, Client-Scripting engine.. yay.. this keep me running - new things to play with.

One of the worst things, IMHO:

- Servers enforcing one single client. (Kills client-diversity and thus development of such)

- Anti-Cheating clients, with big failures in detectionroutines, thus, pretending someone uses a cheat, but in real, it's false.

PS: I prefer Clients with anti-cheating-measures, but I never rely on them. Still I would switch to q2pro (even without anti-cheat-things) since it's making a giant leap and keeps things running.

omg, three posts in a row? sry :) for spam! hehe
IBA
didn't throw its grenade far enough

Post by IBA »

yah, QIZMO 4 EVER :-D
#quadaver || TEAMS !"§ || http://www.quadaver.de
emu
Syndrome of a Down

Post by emu »

Haudrauf wrote:If he doesn't want your help, because he doesn't want to play, leave him alone.

no its here we are failing! propaganda! tie them to a chair. MAKE them beg for action quake2 playing!
Call me your valentine call me once tonight
Sulfate
sank like a rock

Post by Sulfate »

*stand up and claps his hands for emu!*

people who wont get help cuz they think they can playing going 2 quit... ;)..

also find out people who play quit cuz of there time :| what to do about that 1 :|
Jazzie
is now shorter

Post by Jazzie »

people who wont get help cuz they think they can playing going 2 quit... ..

also find out people who play quit cuz of there time what to do about that 1
come again?

If you meant that people quit playing since they don't have enough time, then we probably can't do jack about it anyway.
fell in love with the game
Hawk
found a way out

Post by Hawk »

Haudrauf, I can't agree with alot of things you said there except that the client enforcing sucks :P

Also you didn't seem to understand at all what I had in mind with the steam-wannabe. I did not think of it as a chat tool, nor a replacement of irc, no way, but you don't seem to understand this: I doubt there is a single new player these days that starts the game without anyone already playing it telling him, and he will most likely give up pretty soon because he can't even figure out how to set all controls good, you download rallus aq2 install, sure, there you have everything needed to play, but nothing on how to get started, how to set everything up, and where to find servers, All-Seeing Eye and such are good, but they are still not the easiest to use, even if I think anyone could figure it out.

What I'm trying to say is: did you try starting the game out from scratch, without your cfg, without your serverlist, not knowing any servers, players or maps. It's not as easy as you might think.

no its here we are failing! propaganda! tie them to a chair. MAKE them beg for action quake2 playing!

True and false, we don't want to force anyone :P, but we do want to make the game look nice and easy, people like simple stuff, spending an hour setting up shortcuts and configs the old-fashioned way is to long for someone that doesn't want to play aq2, but a new game, any game. He will most likely go to some other free game where he will have no problems finding games or setting his controls.

All-Time best receipt: Do something (even when it's a small contribution) for others to keep things alive.

I agree on this, but if everyone would instead work together with their small contributions we would have a great new game, just look at all the clients and tga textures, maps and tng, looking back in time aq2 has really evolved. Now it's just time for the non-finish scene to evolve too :)
birdie
tried to put the pin back in

Post by birdie »

Hawk wrote:just look at all the clients and tga textures, maps and tng, looking back in time aq2 has really evolved. Now it's just time for the non-finish scene to evolve too :)

And i'm sure we're going to do our best with this too, atleast i will :) (however i can)
When the dove came..
Haudrauf

Post by Haudrauf »

Hawk wrote:What I'm trying to say is: did you try starting the game out from scratch, without your cfg, without your serverlist, not knowing any servers, players or maps. It's not as easy as you might think.
Ok, then it's a Client-issue (once again).

You can implement a serverbrowser in your client. You can make standard-aliases easy "bindable" in a submenu of q2...

You can make a demoplayer with time-jumping and fast-forwarding... with frag-counters and statistics.

All goes into the client. Everybody needs the client as a base to get started. So if a newbie gets a good client to start with - it's easier.

Hawk wrote:I agree on this, but if everyone would instead work together with their small contributions we would have a great new game, just look at all the clients and tga textures, maps and tng, looking back in time aq2 has really evolved.
Yep, aq2 has evolved.. slowly but it did.
Hawk wrote:Now it's just time for the non-finish scene to evolve too
When i read this, it doesn't sound right ... Who brought us AQ2 TNG? :)

This is not the right place to distinguish between finish and other people.

Q2pro made one step in the right direction: mvd!

And it's coder is russian. Love him.