helping ppl to set up r1q2ded

The place to discuss your client and server issues, or to post your client and server related problems. Now with added Anticheat flavour.

Moderator: Moderators

Haudrauf
tripped on its own grenade

Post by Haudrauf »

angra:
Don't know about future anti-cheat plans, but there's already something:

Got from: http://www.r1ch.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103

sv_nc_visibilitycheck [0/1/2]
Enable NoCheat-style visibility checks to prevent wallhacks. Note, this uses a lot of CPU time and can cause people to not see ents that they should be seeing. Set to 2 to never send the entity, 1 to hide it.

sv_nc_clientsonly [0/1]
Only apply NC visibility check to clients (applying to all ents will use shitloads of CPU)

So...

set sv_nc_visibilitycheck 1
set sv_nc_clientsonly 1

... would make some sense in first place. I don't know whether this is any good (I would say, rather not), since NcServers vis-checks were kinda buggy - and, as far as I know, these checks are just a copy with the above minor improvement to not check ALL entities.
ImageOwner of http://aq2maps.quadaver.org
Not part of #aq2admins for a reason.
angra
feels some chest pain

Post by angra »

Yes, It would be realy nice with some new anticheat stuff, nc is abit out off date. Well well time will tell.
}i{ angra - #clan.illusion
Total minutes of aq2
2005: 20 716
2006: 10 405
Da^JuaN
was picked off

Post by Da^JuaN »

Pain made some script that after each disconnect or reset of the server there will be checked for the newest version of r1q2, if so it will be updated to the latest version
Haudrauf
tripped on its own grenade

Post by Haudrauf »

copied from the r1q2-site http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/r1q2/
r1q2-webby wrote:GNU/Linux Auto Updater (0.0.6)
If you run a GNU/Linux R1Q2 server keep it up to date with this statically linked updater. To use, just extract to your Q2 directory and periodically run it from time to time. (r1q2updater.zip, 663 KiB)
ImageOwner of http://aq2maps.quadaver.org
Not part of #aq2admins for a reason.
R1CH
joined the game

Post by R1CH »

Thanks for reminding me - there's an update to the updater tool. If you're not using 0.0.6, I suggest you update it as I added digital signature checks to guarantee authenticity of updated files.

There's also a few undocumented features to the updater:
run with -q to never prompt for ENTER after running (useful for having in script like Pain probably has)
-p proxy:port to use a proxy server

I didn't really design R1Q2 as an anti-cheat client and I don't think I intend to go that route either. I've seen some of Bryce's work on NoCheat 2.40, I don't know how far along he is getting to a final release but hopefully it will come soon. I'm not personally a great fan of forcing clients onto anyone so I hope most servers will remain open to all, and NoCheat can be used by those proving they are not cheating like it was intended. Especially since there is no Linux or Mac versions.

I have a very experimental external anti-cheat setup I once toyed with several years ago. It basically runs external to Q2 as a separate closed source crypted application that verifies your Q2 content such as models, .exe, ref_gl, etc for known legitimate versions and contacts an authorization server sitting next to the q2 server. Only by sending a correct response to the authorization server do you then get a token allowing you to connect to the q2 server using the approved client. I never really got it much further than very simple secure hash exchanges between client/server and I really don't have the time to work on and maintain something like this against the attention it would no doubt receive from the hacking community.