Half Life 2

Talk about your favourite video-games and modifications here.

Moderator: Moderators

n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

It's only a matter of time before a version is released that they cannot control, definitaly the SP part of it, in any event.
Kurupt
:I

Post by Kurupt »

told u so, hoax!
Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

HL2 has lots of flaws. In Doom3 I wanted more of the monsters to make sounds based on their old growls from Doom2. When a classic game releases this is just a must-have. In Half-Life 2 they've not only kept the same sounds from the old monsters, they have kept EXACTLY the same sound. Headcrabs for example, uses their old sound from HL. Sucks bigtime. When you switch between weapons, the HL sound is there. It's not beefed up, its the standard sucky HL sound. Lots of places in the HL2 world has old HL sounds aswell. Sounds count alot for a game, and I havent seen a game developer been able to satisfy me in a long time, sound wise.
There were some instances in HL2 where I walked inside a large hall or a tunnel, and the sound became manipulated because of the environment. Also, some places in the HL2 world gives the sound an echo. Pretty nifty.
HL2 can probably only brag about its physics. They are the best to be found in a game today. And.. well, thats all HL2 can brag about imo. The graphics are bad as hell compared to Doom3 for example. Not to mention how every map is built up by squares. I can't remember seeing a round surface in HL2 except for a cars wheel laying around here and there.
The best feature I can remember from HL2 must have been when I was under water and tried to look up at the surface. Nice effect there.
As for the story, It didnt make much sense to me. What was the morale in this story? You can kill your president if you just want to? Seriously, can someone please tell me what the point was in the end?
When you play HL2, be prepared to see alot of loading screens. There will be loading screens all the time. Also be prepared to ride some veichles that always flip around on their heads when you hit a bump or make a quick turn. Also welcome all the old HL bugs into HL2. Try for example quickly pressing your crouch button and see how fucked up it is compared to holding your crouch button untill you're fully crouched before releasing it.
If theres something I remember from HL2 its the endless driving around in a car at the beach, then its the incredible boring last level, and then the game was suddenly over. No cool monsters, no cool weapons. Where did the gauss gun go? I was mostly using two pistols and two machinepistols in this game. The fuck?
Steinar "Blue Vex" Furuli
I snipe with my Pistol, and your Rifle.
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

:) ur right about most things bv, except for the weapons, the gravity gun is soo much fun and that bug thing ball. The gfx are outdated, the only nice part is the water and the shaders. Other cool thing is the physics engine (havoc), but most games have that nowadays so nothing new anymore and yeh the LOADING screens.. omg please stop.

The story well, i only played for a few hrs so dunno much about it.

i expected more of this $40m game.
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

Wtf, I wrote that to be flamed. :)
dudemcpek
had its throat slit

Post by dudemcpek »

/me flames Blue Vex

Satisfied?
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

Oh i almost forgot, there are some nice scripted events and the lighting in the game sux :) you cant even shoot out a light like in farcry or doom3.
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
Clement
Master of the Universe

Post by Clement »

How's the AI?
Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

The AI is nice. Zombies will walk straight at you, but they are excused. If a barrel or some equiptment is in their path, they will throw it at you. Enemy soldiers will hide sometimes when there is cover, but eventually they will pop their head out long enough for you to finish them off. Most of the time the enemy soldiers will rush straight at you with their guns blazing. There are times when they will quickly strafe past a window opening or similar while shooting. Friendly squad mates are good aswell. They will follow you wherever you go, but they wont run into traps. At least my mates didnt because I either did it myself or removed them. :P Mates have these nice and friendly voices that constantly keeps saying "sorry dr freeman" when you bump into them. :) Yupp, friendlies interract with you alot. They will ask you to cover them, tell you to reload your weapon (came in handy once), tell you they are hurt, give you medkits and grab better guns and ammo from slain enemy soliders. I once walked around in a room when one of my mates said "I'm hurt :(" and another of them replied "here, take this medkit". :) I feel so sorry for those mates because they die all the time, but they always get replaced by someone else as you progress through the levels. I might be mistaking, but teammates wont start attacking the enemy unless you do it (or the enemy shoots at you). I appreciated that alot because there were times I didnt want to engange those never-ending respawning enemies, and in those situations my teammates didnt meaninglesly engage either. Those Man Hacks seems to have no control over themselves, or Valve just gave their thrusters lousy acceleration. :)
The AI isnt perfect, but it suplements HL2 in one of the best ways it possibly can.
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

Well thanks for all the enlightning comments, I think I will buy it after all, although I hated what you said about the ending.
gegoj
tried to put the pin back in

Post by gegoj »

Prize question:
If Steam TM thingy had balls/genitals/tender-but-painful bits, what would You do with them?
Kurupt
:I

Post by Kurupt »

stroke m?
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Kurupt wrote:stroke m?

rofl!

:mrgreen:
suds
melted

Post by suds »

th eoriginal unreal had cool sound

scared the cram outa me

im moving to austria
snowboarding > hl2
Beavisss
loses a vital chest organ

Post by Beavisss »

Awesome game. Really interesting story and gravity gun pwns..