#Catch-Gamer

The place to discuss your client and server issues, or to post your client and server related problems. Now with added Anticheat flavour.

Moderator: Moderators

emu
Syndrome of a Down

Post by emu »

minchiano wrote:
emu wrote:their cs servers where awesome :)
Fucker :rambo:
hey uhm.. a friend of a friends friend told me :x
Call me your valentine call me once tonight
Haudrauf
tripped on its own grenade

Post by Haudrauf »

imeiz wrote:compare your real ping on duraworks and catch to the ones you get by dos pinging, atleast that's what i'd do. i got 30ms ping on edome with ping, and on the gameserver it is 50 :p
Yep. There's quite a difference. Edome and Duraworks still use the 3.21 binary.

Seeing Duraworks and Edomes in-game ping at 50 while the "dos"-ping sticks to 30 proves there's a big inaccuracy by the normal ping-calculation method of old server binaries. Besides it even depends on fps of clients.

An advice to the Duraworks and Edome people: "original" 3.21 may be nice, but it's full of critical bugs. It's easy to instant-crash it. Why don't you update to r1q2ded?
Last edited by Haudrauf on Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageOwner of http://aq2maps.quadaver.org
Not part of #aq2admins for a reason.
nufan
brains are on the wall

Post by nufan »

Even tho catch is a Norwegian server, it's for everyone to play on.

About the norse skins, they will stay for the moment.
Great to have some dark skins again, can actully hide on urban2 like the old days.
Flunx
feels some chest pain
In-game Name: iN Flunx

Post by Flunx »

Ok. Can somebody explain why the norse skins sux? The male model sux, all bulky and stupid looking. Also the CTF skins makes it impossible to hide, like nufan said. (Even though I know some lamahs use brightskins and gl_hax to brighten up the game. Shame on you!)
The norse skins and sas model was on TNX for a long time and nobody complained. Then the brightskin issue went to far and tnx changed the skins to the male CTF skins.
Oh well! It's all comes down to what each player prefers. I guess we could try and run a poll about it if it's that big of a problem.

BTW Blue Vex, Why the hell would you use Q2Ace? As for the server settings, just ask \nova\ @ quakenet and he will tell you what settings the server is using. :)
I like to play games, not watch them
Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

Nooo...! The norse skins were on TnX for a long time, and everyone complained. Each time I dragged AIDS to the server for a cw, the foreign members would say "I can't see the blue skin in cloud" -etc. People were fighting for what team they wanted to be. The norse skins have advantages depending on the map, although the blue skin has the most advantage overall. I don't think it adds any fun element. Playing with the norse skins is like playing with gl_modulate 1. You can't see much, and you're constantly striving. Frustration. There was no brightskins issue that caused TnX to change the skins to ctf. Back then I was the one who changed them because I was tired of squimting my eyes. I've never seen anyone complaining about the ctf skins beeing unfair. Removing the brightskin advantage was a nice bonus though, because every-single-lan I went to in Norway I saw people using brightskins as if they were meant to be.
I think the male model is perfectly fine. The sas model jumps like a sissy girl with both his feet together. :)

I primarily use Q2ACE because of autorecord (best feature in the world Imo) and because it hasn't got any of those idiotic NoCheat console features. Has ANYONE noticed that NoCheat makes your hud icons ugly? Other hacked Quake2 clients give me nothing, nothing at all. I don't want new textures, transparent blood that look like lava, and other fancy gimmicks. All I want is autorecord, jpgscreenshot, adjustable skydistance, fps meter and an ingame clock so I can answer people when they ask what time it is.
Steinar "Blue Vex" Furuli
I snipe with my Pistol, and your Rifle.
angra
feels some chest pain

Post by angra »

Just make a poll, and don't be bad admins and just do it the way you like it, make it like majority wants it.
}i{ angra - #clan.illusion
Total minutes of aq2
2005: 20 716
2006: 10 405
Flunx
feels some chest pain
In-game Name: iN Flunx

Post by Flunx »

No need for Q2ace! Try AprQuake Blue Vex. I'm positivie you'll like it :)

Ah yes, the skins. I've talked to some of my friends and fellow action quakers and many of them said that they wanted the norse skins back again.

Don't worry, the admins will listen to the majority. As with the skins, it's all about the map. Blue skin is better on urban2, and red skin is better on urban3. I don't see the harm in having norse skins on public. And if you're having trouble seeing the other players, there's always irvision in AQ2.
But I don't think irvision works that well on the norse skins, sadly. Even so, the stealth slippers also becomes more usefull when the skins are harder to see. (For those who doesn't understand why, try playing with the sound on/off)

For clanwars I recomend using CTF skins to avoid the whine. It's really amazing that we played clanwars with the norseskisn without whine for several years.

What I would like to see is some CTF skins ala the ones for the male model made for the SAS model. Could anybody do that? I don't care if the SAS model jumps like a girl. That's just cute. oh, even better make a new model! Code some .md3 support into quake2 :-O
I like to play games, not watch them
Samislide
is legless

Post by Samislide »

Blue skin + airport is the only combination for me worth 'whining' about.. I think. Evil :/
Jazzie
is now shorter

Post by Jazzie »

I vote for male/robber and male/cop. For vintage action.
fell in love with the game
minchiano
bleeds to death

Post by minchiano »

The majority sucks, listen to the minch instead!

actionmale/blood vs actionmale/crip

aqmarine/desert vs messiah/chow

Pick one of the two, then fix.

8)
kaaos
blew itself up

Post by kaaos »

As long as the teams have different models and the models aren't male/terror I'm happy.
Jazzie
is now shorter

Post by Jazzie »

also, mr_coat is one heck of a cool model.
fell in love with the game
noVa
plummets to its death

Post by noVa »

Updated r1q2 to b2803 and added rok and pier in the votelist.

Merry christmas to you all :santa:
blissard
tried to put the pin back in

Post by blissard »

can you also add votecfg/votegame or whatever. i wanna play ctf! :o
hehehHEheheHheh GOGOGO Head shot !
iler
special poika polizai

Post by iler »

Alien wrote:I can't understand why there is that R1Q2 thing. It just gives fake pings, I have 55-60 there (I bet it aint fake) but like others in our clan have something like 25-35 and it feels like ping 50-70 like they said.
Clown wrote:Ping it from a DOS box. The 'new' pings are proably more similar to those results than what they used to be, therefore giving a more accurate representation of your latency to the server.
That calcpings method as used value 2 can cause some fake values when playing on foreign servers because it takes the minimum ping that has been replied in one second. So the real case could be and is worse because normally there are some gaps between the values exspecially when playing on foreign servers when the number of crucial knots in datacommunication is increased. But when you are playing on a server that is located in the same country that you live in there isn't this problem. I give you an example. Everyone who knows Herty{UNi} knows that he has got ping like 90-150 regardless on what server he is playing on. Well he had ping 40 according to this calcpings method value 2 but he claimed it still felt like playing with ping 150 and I bet that he knows kinda good how it feels like playing with ping 150. So I think there is also this flaw side on all servers that use this calcpings 2, because it can cause fakepings for foreigners. And most times it does this trick.

Finally these are only speculations that I have noticed with my clan mates. And yes Catch is way better server than TnX. But you ppl (all, finns, swedes, norweigian, danish, dutch, etc.) should still concider this thing because you can really lag though the ping says something else. Think about this.
paino on voimaa, ylipaino on ylivoimaa BD http://www.clanunited.org