ctf entities?

Forum for Skins, Maps, Configs etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mappers

kamikraez
is connecting

ctf entities?

Post by kamikraez »

are there any tng ctf specific entities?

im making a map with ctf in mind, and i was wishing that there was a little more control over tings like spawns (both teams spawn at all spawns), and the flags (having the flag and drop point separate).
gegoj
tried to put the pin back in

Post by gegoj »

As far as I know, tng doesn't have any more specific entities for ctf.
It uses the same random spawns as teamplay or deathmatch and you can only define the flags locations by writing the coordinates in a mapname.flg file in action/tng directory.
Example form:
<x y z> //location of red flag
<x y z> //location of blue flag
You can get the exact coordinates with viewpos command ingame.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge... ...and some just gargle...
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

AK^^ in aq2suomi.com forum (freely translated) wrote: you need one info_player_deathmatch for the spectator spawn point, so the map won't crash when it's loaded.

red team's spawn entity = info_player_team1
blue team's spawn entity = info_player_team2

red team's flag entity = item_flag_team1
blue team's flag entity = item_flag_team2
you mappers take over from here :)
Sync' imeiz - AQ2Suomi & AQ2World forum moderator, part-time TATM-writer
kamikraez
is connecting

Post by kamikraez »

oh wow, is that for tng? sure its not for plain q2ctf?

awesome! gonna try these out, if i can get tng to play in ctf mode (it crahses if i try to change it from deathmatch to teamplay)
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

I've never actually tried getting CTF to work, but I would say that imeiz suggestions are for regular q2ctf... and that TNG is using an external file for the coordinates for the flags, and some other system of determining the spawnpoints.... Not at all sure tho...
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

afaik Rallu and AK^^ made testmaps with that stuff(aq2), and they worked. only thing was that the info_player_deathmatch spawned both teams, so it would be good to place in some centric place.
Sync' imeiz - AQ2Suomi & AQ2World forum moderator, part-time TATM-writer
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

hmm... maybe I'm thinking about CTB now then.... anyway... if it works as in vanilla q2, you should be able to set spawnflags for the spawnpoints to prevent them from being used when playing CTF... but then that all depends on if CTF for aq2 (tng) works in the same way from a mapping and coding perspective as for vanilla q2...
kamikraez
is connecting

Post by kamikraez »

the flag file is external, and im not sure if you could do it internally (what happens when they try and play the map in normal teamplay?)

as for the spawns, on normal maps converted to ctf maps (with the addition of the external flag file), both teams spawn and the info_plaer_deathmatch's as usual, which means that both teams spawn at all spawn points, which can sometimes be very cloe to a flag.

oh well, ill just have to fire up quark and play around.

edit: ok who here knows something about TNG servers? im just running aq2 on my own comp, and im using the TNG gamex86.dll. everytime i try to change deathmatch to teamplay (as in "set teamplay 1"), q2 simply closes. now when i try "set ctf 1" it does the same thing, which means i cant try any maps ive made in ctf mode. anyone know how to fix this?
Rallu
hit the ground hard, real hard

Post by Rallu »

making internally doesn't effect on teamplay. only problem is that info_player_start. to which I didn't find solution. Whole map design should be made so that there is one to N spots where both teams may start