Ideas, Ideas!

Forum for Skins, Maps, Configs etc.

Moderators: Moderators, Mappers

pauhi
melted

Ideas, Ideas!

Post by pauhi »

Ok, this is the situation. I would like to make a map but I'm completely out of ideas, so this is what I'm asking from you:

Make a lay-out about a map that you would like to play, tell me some details (what kind of map etc basic things) and lets see what I can do!
›› pauhi ››
Spill the blood of the fucking lamb
Magger
joined the game

Post by Magger »

Make Moe's pub from the simpsons? :P would be fun.. ( im not into details ) just a thought I had..
dudemcpek
had its throat slit

Post by dudemcpek »

Yes, make an even smaller map than desperado. You're a man with a plan, Magger!
Caracol
was picked off

Post by Caracol »

What about a library? A big one I mean.
With many shelved not all of them full with books, meaning many holes in them to shoot through. Maybe a second level giving you the chance to have in sight almost the whole first floor (well, the typical second floors of libraries, with this high railings and that only border the first floor).
One of the problems with this is that it would be only one big room, or two counting on the second floor, so maybe any tactic you could plan will go to hell.

The other thing could be a "wild west" town. Now that I think about it, it would end more or less like village.bsp, but that one's so huge it's unplayable.
Or an old western american fort like this picture I found (but I imagine it bigger in AQ2): http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov/fort1ak.jpg
Hope it helped,

C.
Ne quid nimis.
sCrewFace
blew up

Post by sCrewFace »

Doesnt really matter how the hell the map looks, as long as it got gameplay.. Lets just take Mesto? Looks retarded, but it has game play..

Make a map of an area uve seen irl :)
Flunx
feels some chest pain
In-game Name: iN Flunx

Post by Flunx »

Lets just take Mesto? Looks retarded, but it has game play..
L to the O to the L

Seriously gameplay is what you should focus the most on and it's also the what's hardest to do.

Here's an idea I was thinking of doing: make map that looks like it's made of lego bricks... though it's probably been done before. I also started on a candyland map some time back where everything was made of candy :-O

EDIT: Oh, you might want to check this thread out Pauhi: http://forums.aq2world.com/viewtopic.php?t=999

Good luck with your mapping :)
I like to play games, not watch them
SaLsA
was flattened

Post by SaLsA »

how bout an urbancliff.bsp :shocker:
Image<",))><
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

a new tequila map would be nice :p

or something like riot.
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
Beavisss
loses a vital chest organ

Post by Beavisss »

SaLsA wrote:how bout an urbancliff.bsp :shocker:
I am on it :)
Stric
needs some Pepto Bismol

Post by Stric »

icity2 and icity3 :> cause icity is the pwn map ;)
^stric^
chron
joined the game

Post by chron »

What about a library? A big one I mean.
With many shelved not all of them full with books, meaning many holes in them to shoot through. Maybe a second level giving you the chance to have in sight almost the whole first floor (well, the typical second floors of libraries, with this high railings and that only border the first floor).
One of the problems with this is that it would be only one big room, or two counting on the second floor, so maybe any tactic you could plan will go to hell.
Midtown.bsp has a library with 2 floors and secret passages. I dont think its completely the same as what you mean, but since no-one is playing that map anymore it could be that its not such a succes.
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

chron wrote:Midtown.bsp has a library with 2 floors and secret passages. I dont think its completely the same as what you mean, but since no-one is playing that map anymore it could be that its not such a succes.
Even though he would make a map with the exact same theme, it wouldn't matter since the map wouldn't be the same. The thing you have to remember is that while it is nice with good looking maps (f.ex. the cloud series bug the hell out of me) it is not the textures used, and how it looks that will decide if it will be played or not. If you look at most of the maps that are played as homemaps, you will find some of the ugliest aq2 maps ever. The rule is simple, people will play ugly maps with good gameplay, but not gorgeous maps with bad gameplay. (although the best IS of course to have gorgeous maps with great gameplay :mrgreen:)

My method usually involves deciding a theme for the map that I want to make, and then look at REAL places that would fit into that theme, then create a layout in my head (just a general one) and then after that piece together all the details that I've looked at in "Real-Life (tm)". Generally the real world it too complex to model in a relatively old engine as q2, but you can usually use bits and pieces to make realistic AND fun maps... I for one haven't seen a single map yet that would be "my neighborhood " or something similar that would actually be either good looking or fun to play.

oh... and on a personal note I still don't really feel that I've been really successful in the gameplay part of mapmaking... but I'm getting there :) It's not as straight forward as you would think...
Last edited by NRGizeR on Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
angra
feels some chest pain

Post by angra »

make a cornfield.bsp!
}i{ angra - #clan.illusion
Total minutes of aq2
2005: 20 716
2006: 10 405
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

angra wrote:make a cornfield.bsp!
I remember a map having a barn, a large cornfield and tractors and shit, was really good looking, but I can't remember what the name was. It was actually quite fun at LANs, wasn't much of a cw map tho :)

One of the more original maps I've seen are air747 and pirate, don't think there are any more than one of each of those :)
minchiano
bleeds to death

Post by minchiano »

NRGizeR wrote:
angra wrote:make a cornfield.bsp!
I remember a map having a barn, a large cornfield and tractors and shit, was really good looking, but I can't remember what the name was. It was actually quite fun at LANs, wasn't much of a cw map tho :)quote]

Village 1 & 2?