^J Mod returns...

PaTMaN's ^J Mod for Action Quake II (http://patman.has.it).

Moderators: PaTMaN, Moderators

Stric
needs some Pepto Bismol

Post by Stric »

Nice :D

- jtrailsave doesnt save puppetstrail
- maybe adding trail clean level ( fload flist puppet # trail <color> <width> <trail_clean_level_1-6> ) to load more puppettrails in a row and not overflow the server :>
- adding macros for faster demo saving and other stuff? example: jrecord test_spawn$num1$_try$num2$ and cvar increase <cvar> <step>
coz opening console and changing binds/commands makes you crazy!

Just had a quick look. :)
^stric^
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

I'll add those to my lists.

Btw Uncle-, is that demo problem still happening with teleporting? I didn't get to check it myself but I did rework the code.
Stric
needs some Pepto Bismol

Post by Stric »

No problems with that program anymore but I foudn something else :bday:

I binded button with bind q "jrecord test_map1;spawnp" and pressed it firstime and after few seconds 2nd time and then jstop. I noticed that puppetdemo was recorded only from last spawnp while the demo recorded all it should. After that i wanted to see the demo and noticed that demo started to record a new demo when i pressed q 2nd time and whole demo was lost.
^stric^
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

The recording problem is due to the difference in how "record" and "precord" work:

Record:
If you start recording, then type record again, it is basically ignored and recording continues on from the first record command. A record is only recognized when no recording is currently happening.
Precord:
If you start precording then type precord again, "pstop; precord" is performed, so the puppetdemo starts new each time you type "precord".

I could modify "jrecord" alone so that the precord command in it acts like record by only recognizing a new recording after a "jstop" is issued.

Also note that the puppetdemo is not saved to the disk on "jstop" because I made precord in a way so that people can not overwrite other people's puppetdemos on public servers. You need to issue a "psave" to save it.
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Well... I've been very bogged down lately by real life stuff so I haven't been able to do much coding with ^J Mod... until tonight. I spent a good few hours on it and took care of all the porting and compiling errors for the Linux version. I need to test it out but now AQ2 is giving me problems on Linux. I can get it to run but only at the console. It seems like there's path problems somewhere seeing as how I don't have a conback image and maps can't be found. If anyone has some insight on how to fix this, please tell me.
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

PaTMaN wrote:Well... I've been very bogged down lately by real life stuff so I haven't been able to do much coding with ^J Mod... until tonight. I spent a good few hours on it and took care of all the porting and compiling errors for the Linux version. I need to test it out but now AQ2 is giving me problems on Linux. I can get it to run but only at the console. It seems like there's path problems somewhere seeing as how I don't have a conback image and maps can't be found. If anyone has some insight on how to fix this, please tell me.
linux is case sensitive... so if your maps/textures are in uppercase, q2 won't find the files... that could be one problem. If you're trying to run your own server, make sure that you've compiled both the server binary and the client with the same gcc version, otherwize the game will most likely crash when loading up a map... Those are standard things, from the top of my head :)
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

I was really burned out last night... I only thought to rename the quake2 and action directories to all lowercase, but not the others and some files. So anyways, I can get into regular q2 now and play, but when loading up a level with ^J Mod, I see the level for a split second and then the game crashes. I can start a dedicated server and that runs fine alone. When I connect to it from my Windows install, the server crashes though. So this seems like a coding issue. I'll be working on this quite a bit today so lets hope I can get it fixed.

Is there a way to catch the crash in Linux and debug from there?
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

I found where the crash is happening in the Linux version of ^J Mod. It is happening when the gamei386.so is calling a player movement function handled in the actual game client. I removed the function call for a test and the mod ran fine, except for the little problem of not being able to move anywere O_o
I downloaded a fresh aq2 source and compiled it, resulting with the same crash in the same spot. So maybe my q2 setup just isn't right. I've uploaded the gamei386.so to my site for now for people to download to see if it works or not. Be sure to have q2 in windowed mode to prepare for a possible crash.

Please respond with your results of running this if you can
--url removed now--

NOTE: IF this compile works for you, make sure that action/jloc action/jtrail and action/puppetdemo folders exist or using marker, trail, or puppet commands (especially puppet commands) may result in a crash. I forgot to enable some stuff so that's why. Also there will be a debug log created (debug.log in action folder) resulting in 10,000's of lines per few seconds, so I wouldn't recommend actually using this compile if it works... let me release the cleaned up version.
Last edited by PaTMaN on Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mutu
loses a vital chest organ

Post by Mutu »

gj :D
· Catch-Gamer.no AQ2admin
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

If the "original" aq2 server binary also crashes I would advice you to check the optimization flags in the Makefile. Some of these don't really work for me at least...
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Ok... I did a lot of compiling with gcc with a lot of different options but the crash still occurred. I was looking around on the net for a fix , and found something. There is a custom dedicated q2 client which specifically mentions it gets around the crash I was experiencing. I loaded up ^J Mod with the new server and it ran fine. The server is called R1Q2 and can be found at http://www.r1ch.net/stuff/r1q2/. I'll get the Linux version of ^J Mod up soon for download from my site. :D
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

I've updated my website with the Linux release. Have fun! http://patman.has.it
Stric
needs some Pepto Bismol

Post by Stric »

Well done :bday: Tried it on my linux server and it worked as it should exept that flist aint working :p it doesnt show files wich are in puppetdemo, jtrail etc directories. :o
^stric^
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Make sure that the file permissions are set correctly for the directory, and any old files. Files created through ^J Mod should be able to be written to ok.

Edit:

Ok, flist just plain doesn't work... doh. I guess I didn't fully test the stuff I had to port over. You can still load files with fload for now though.
Stric
needs some Pepto Bismol

Post by Stric »

Files are created in those dirs but not shown in flist.

Edit: AH ok :>
^stric^