V1.23 Status Log - Released

PaTMaN's ^J Mod for Action Quake II (http://patman.has.it).

Moderators: PaTMaN, Moderators

PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Studying.... Tests.... Finals.... ughh. Its almost over finally. I fixed up some issues I noticed with the teleporter so recalling it works more cleanly. I just have to clean up some other functions that use it too and I'll be back on track.

I forgot to post that I added the spectarg command for spectator mode a while back. It allows you to start spectating from the target you are aiming at so you don't have to cycle through everything to find it.
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Sooo it's been a while... finals, flu, work,.... yay

Ok I've been thinking about the future of this mod. The original intent of this mod was for being run on a public server. This is why a lot of things are made so that people can not mess with other's stuff. It has also limited some things due to splitting up resources on a per player basis. Now with all this coding I have been doing to update ^J Mod and turn it into an even more useful tool for movie makers by including multiple puppets and puppet scripting, I have come across many problems in trying to keep this a public server friendly thing. Multiple puppets, for one, I don't see as a public server kind of thing but rather a personal server thing, where someone can even connect and play as well. So I've been thinking, what if I split this into 2 separate mods? I can take the V1.22 code, throw in the bug fixes and small updates, and get that out as ^J Mod V1.23. Then I can make a new mod which will basically be the proposed V1.23, but its features that are different than the normal ^J Mod will be focused for private server use. This way, you are free to stress your own game, command everything easier, and not screw up a public server.

Ok this all sounds good in my head, but now there is the issue of time. I'm currently working full time and have some time to work on this, so that is good. BUT starting in early June, I will also have a class to attend which will cut my hours available to work on this mod down to next to nothing.

With the new mod, which has yet to be named, I'm debating on whether or not to start over from the original source, then add in what needs to be kept and chop out what doesn't need to be there anymore. I feel it would result in a much cleaner coding environment for me. The mod's major feature will be the ability to script battles. Ultimately, I would like to have it so you can even load a recorded demo (.dm2) into the game and have puppets play out the demo (note this is just a vision and I am not 100% sure if it is possible due to some details, especially with shooting).

SO! What do you guys think? Sound good? Bad? Let me know.
Haudrauf
tripped on its own grenade

Post by Haudrauf »

Ehm... sounds good, except the time issue.

Perhaps you can get another coder to help you? Set up a SVN repository etc. and it may be easier to cooperatively work on your code.
ImageOwner of http://aq2maps.quadaver.org
Not part of #aq2admins for a reason.
Caracol
was picked off

Post by Caracol »

I think it's actually a very good idea, or more like, a solution.
The public gameplay and objective is pretty well succeded with v1.22 and most of the new stuff would indeed screw a public game up.
Separating them (as two different mods, or, if possible, a variable) is the perfect solution.

About the upcoming updates... I can't think of anything, mainly because I rarely use or get in the need of using it. I'm more keen to the public side of it and the help when practicing/recording jumps. But what really paid my attention was the playback of .dm2's, that would really be something.
If I need models to do specific stuff, I'd ask mates to 'act' in a private server, but if I want to do recams of a recorded demo I just give the thought away, since kg2 is a big mess I don't want to learn.
Thus, this playback function would really change the whole movie-making world. I hope it's actually possible.

This is quite personal and I'm sure other people have some other thoughts for the in construction mod, but whatever comes from your coding hands I'll be there thanking you.
Ne quid nimis.
Masa^
sank like a rock
In-game Name: MaxD

Post by Masa^ »

This is a wet dream for videomakers! :rambo:
¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø--{Tm}Masa--ø¤º°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
#aq2world Qnet
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Ok... I've had the ^J Mod source code open all day but kept getting sidetracked by stuff going on around here. One of my little chores actually ended up with me getting a side job with a good family friend doing coding for his hardware, so that's gonna be eating away at my time even more now... bleh. It has just come to my attention that someone let some spyware on another comp here so I gotta go take care of all that crap too. Then hopefully I can get workin on ^J Mod. I don't think it will take too long to get V1.23 out... we'll see how much I can get done tonight.
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

As you can see, I've gotten a good amount of stuff done for the next release. I've got 2 known bugs to fix in the spec code and then I can move on to another update.

Today I took some time out from ^J Mod coding to help out the CTF guys a bit with coding for a haste item. Be sure to check out their forums and give em more suggestions. The mod looks promising.
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Finished up the new spectator mode stuff. Fixed view angle bugs for recalling teleporter, spawnp, and spawnc.

I'm about to do something for being affected by other's grenades for grenade jumping... gotta throw some thoughts down. Feel free to comment...

Current grenade jumping is via the command 'tog grenadejump', where you are only affected by your own grenades. I originally made it so you only get hit by your own grenades so that when on a public server, 2 people can be practicing grenade jumps in the same area without messing each other up... another "public friendly" feature.

Now if I were to just unlock this feature so that 'tog grenadejump' makes you be affected by all grenades, that won't satisfy my public friendly requirements. So say I put in an extra command, like 'tog grenadejumpother' which when active, others' grenades affect you. This would mean that you can choose to be affected by no grens, your grenades, others' grenades, or yours and others' grenades. So that makes it public friendly, BUT now it doesn't make it very user friendly since you now have to turn on 2 commands to be affected by yours and others' grenades.

So I think I have a solution now... 3 commands. Ya that's 1 more than 2 which I said was bad, but the 3rd command can toggle the other 2 commands at the same time. Now it just comes down to a naming scheme. 'tog grenadejump' in my mind should stay as is: affected by your grenades. 'tog grenadejumpother' should be to turn on being affected by others' grenades. 'tog grenadejumps' should be to turn both commands on, or both commands off.

So in the end, when you put your mind to it, rambling on and on can pay off :?
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Added in the new grenade jumping stuff talked about yesterday.
I also changed the way jump marker removal works with the jump marker weapon. Now when you fire in removal mode (knife slash animation), a small marker doesn't fly out and remove targets in a certain radius when it hits. Instead, while in removal mode and aiming at jump markers, they will have their coloring removed, signifying that they will be removed if you press the shoot button. I like the idea of seeing what will be removed instead of doing guess work when it comes down to removing only certain markers in a tight group.
Janner
found a way out

Post by Janner »

About the grenade's: maybe you could make it so when you have 'tog grenjumpother' or what it is on, you are affected by your grenades. And maybe you could do something like this: every used has an ID, and you can toggle grenade jumps for certain users only.
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

You make a good point Janner, about tog grenadejumpother making you be affected by your own grenades too... I mean, you're already in control of your own grenades so that right there is up to you whether or not you hit yourself. I think I will change that.
I can do the ID thing too... maybe have it so that when you have grenades out, the ID of the player is shown next to their name on the HUD.
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Ok... what I did was just take out tog grenadejumpother and left tog grenadejumps in. So grenadejump will be for self while grenadejumps will be for self and others'. I think that is good.
I changed the score board around a little. I took out the Ppt and Pup, for seeing if a player has a Puppet or Pup set somewhere, and put in ID and Grav, for player's ID and their gravity setting. This is where you can get a player's ID for setting specific grenade jumping with. I still need to do the grenade jumping command for setting the list. It will most likely be grenadejumplist <#,#,#,#,...>
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

The grenadejumplist command is in. Syntax is 'grenadejumplist <# # # ... / clear>' where # is a player ID. 'clear' clears the list. If no arguments are specified, the current list is displayed. If a player's ID is in the list, you will be affected by that person's grenades no matter what your current grenade jumping mode is. You can also put your own ID in the list.
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Wow... today was a great day for updates!

Grenade list stuff mentioned in last post
Removed flashlight effect on laser
Fixed puppet and pup model angles for looking up and down
Teleporting into a puppet no longer gets you stuck
Teleporting into a player no longer gets you stuck if you both had teamjumping on
Added cvar commands for incrementing and decrementing number variables
And on the side, I wrote down the current menu system so I can see what needs to be modified, added, and removed easier.

:D :D :D
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

I've had some complaints... from myself... about the puppetdemo commands and usage. So in trying to fix some stuff, I realized that I made a big confusing mess before and that has lead to these problems. So I've got some ideas on how to rework some puppet demo commands and inner workings. While I'm doing this, anyone have suggestions for a new puppet demo command/feature, or a complaint on how it works or a certain command that should work a little different?

I cleaned up the pswitch command and I really like how nicely it works now. When you do a pswitch, which switches your position with your puppet's position, and vice versa, your view becomes what your puppet's view was exactly, and the switch is instant without a teleporting effect. Before, the view you had after pswitch was the same as before the pswitch, which meant you basically had to do 180's after the command.

I also fixed up the goto command. It was teleporting the player a little higher than specified.