V1.23 Status Log - Released

PaTMaN's ^J Mod for Action Quake II (http://patman.has.it).

Moderators: PaTMaN, Moderators

PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Still not sure about the skin issue. I happened to look at how the q2 client handles skins today, but I didn't thoroughly look at it since I'm putting that issue off till later so I can actually get stuff done now.
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Little more updated for today...
Changed puppet attack so you can specify how many attacks to perform consecutively. For example, giving the puppet an mp5 set to auto and saying to attack 5 times will shoot 5 bullets. If in burst mode, the mp5 will shoot 5 bursts of 3 bullets. Amount of consecutive firing is limited by the weapon's max ammo per clip. If a full clip amount is spent, the no ammo click is heard just like it would be normally.
Changed puppet reload so you can specify how many consecutive reloads to perform. This is mainly for the shotgun's and sniper's fast reloading feature. Any other weapon only reloads once.
Puppet can now use the sniper rifle but it needs to be tweaked a little for aiming.
Implemented some code to modify a puppet's firing rate for future use... probably as part of setting the aiming and firing skills of a puppet.
Added command to make a puppet play the out of ammo click.
Added command to kill puppets.
Added command to gib puppets.
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Btw, here's 2 funny demos to check out. One deals with the new puppet gib command while the other is showing off mass puppet gibbing with handcannons :santa:

As usual, don't mind the debugging text. heh

http://patman.byethost6.com/aq2/jmod/ex ... _tests.rar
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

hehe i like the bouncing heads :)
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Added command: puppet bleed <source> [<0/1>] (0 to stop, 1 to start, default 1)
Added command: puppet sound <source> <sound file> (Plays sound from a puppet) Ex... "puppet sound all city/barn.wav" (omg die...)
Can now set puppet's weapon and weapon mode with 1 command. Example, "puppet weapon 1 0t" will set puppet 1's weapon to throwing knife, "puppet weapon 1 54" will set puppet 1's weapon to sniper rifle zoomed at 4x, and "puppet weapon 1 3b" sets puppet 1's weapon to MP5 in burst mode. Weapons are now 1 1a 1s 2 3 3a 3b 4 5 51 52 54 56 6 6a 6b 9 0 0s 0t g gs gm gl (these use default bind keys)
Stric
needs some Pepto Bismol

Post by Stric »

Wau :rambo:
^stric^
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Fixed all weapon aiming bugs that existed (at least 1 per weapon)
Fixed puppet attack bug that would lock up firing on weapon mode switch
Fixed some puppet view and sight laser bugs

As I was testing a bit ago, I thought it would be cool if I could freeze the puppets in place at any given time to move around them... so I did some coding for it to see its possibilities. It was cool enough that I'll share 2 test demos with you :) Note that on the first demo some puppets get gibbed from a pistol shot... thats just a bug of the freeze. I see this as being a useful feature for video making.

http://patman.byethost6.com/aq2/jmod/ex ... esting.rar
Stric
needs some Pepto Bismol

Post by Stric »

LOL :bday: Keep it up! :hop: :norris:
^stric^
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Fixed puppets ducking stuff (still at least 1 more bug to go though)
Puppets now take falling damage (no leg damage yet though)
Puppets are now affected by water, slime, and lava
Fixed puppets model angles (where they are pointing) to reflect a real player's
Added command: puppet duck (set/toggle ducking state)
Added command: puppet falldamage (set/toggle falldamage on/off)
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Started working on the new spectator mode. I've got 1 (known) bug to fix for client/puppet target cycling currently. Otherwise, it's looking awsome. I've recorded a demo or 2 of my progress for it, but i'll save a public demo for a little later when I do some more stuff to it. I might be modifying the HUD setup again. Currently, the top right of the screen has 4 stats which you can turn on and off separately. This managed to fill up the entire HUD layout space so I can't put anything more on it. In order to add some things back in, like the health icon, for the puppets, I might have to change this functionality again. I'll see when I sum up everything it needs. Really I haven't put a lot of thought into it and maybe the only extra thing needed is the health icon... heh
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Bleh... got addicted to Oblivion recently but am getting back to coding. Debugging my new spectator code was getting very troublesome, so I've started over on it. This time I've got better ideas and a better plan to do it.
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

PaTMaN wrote:Bleh... got addicted to Oblivion recently but am getting back to coding.
You are not the only one ;)
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Chase target looping is working great now for spectator mode. I added in the ability to move closer or farther from the chase target when in 3rd person chase mode by pressing forward or back.
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

The base spectator mode stuff is almost done. I've got just a little more work to do on it and it should be good. Spec mode has the same controls as before and some more:

+attack - cycle view modes (3rd person, eyes, free)
+forward - move towards target in 3rd person
+back - move away from target in 3rd person
+moveleft - cycle from eyes to 3rd person on target
+moveright - cycle from 3rd person to eyes on target

+moveup - cycle through targets forward
+movedown - cycle through targets backward

I'll also be putting in a command to spectate the target in view, so you can jump directly to a target instead of cycling through others to find it.
After spectator mode, I'll be starting on the new puppetdemo stuff, which I'm looking foward to :)
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Well at my college, it's tests week now, and then finals week. I'm quite busy so haven't got much more done with ^J Mod. I have done some more thought on the new puppet demo stuff. Here's some ideas...

Puppets follow the exact path of the player (including footsteps and falls... basically the 'old' puppet demo system)
Puppets can be shot off course of the puppet demo (maybe even correct their paths if possible... atm that seems like too much work)
Puppet commands may be issued during puppet demos, such as shooting, dying, bleeding, reloading... and so on

Some shooting stuff...
Player's weapon will be recorded, including weapon switches and weapon modes
Player's shots will be recorded
If for say a player is using an m4 and records shooting in auto for 12 shots, but in playback the player switches the puppet's weapon to a shotgun, the puppet will only be shooting as many shots (up to 7) that can be shot in the amount of time that an m4 shoots 12.

Now for aiming...
Puppets aim will follow the aim recorded exactly. Now say that you want the puppet to aim at a target and fire at a target, say a moving puppet in another demo. This can result in bad jump direction and aiming since the puppet can be doing strafe jumps and getting fast speeds while sideways or some odd direction that wouldn't work. So I'm thinking of ways to get around this. I've got one way which just seems to complicate jump demo recording, and another which seems better. The better way would be to do some coding that will let the puppets shoot only at certain times during jumping, like when the time gap between jumping and landing is more than a certain amount of time. This should result in the puppets aiming and keeping their paths more naturally.

Your thoughts, comments, or ideas are welcome