Actcity2 Remix -Edit- - [NEW MAP]

Forum for all new beta and released maps!

Moderators: Moderators, Mappers

Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

I don't care if it's 32bit textures. But at least make them 'fit' together.
I don't give a shit.
fuct
is full of buckshot

Post by fuct »

this topic is losing sight of the terrible map it was created for!
Caracol
was picked off

Post by Caracol »

There you notice the interest in the topic.
Looks cheap, ain't going to try it.
Ne quid nimis.
KriBBa
was flattened

Post by KriBBa »

congrats, u picked the worst map ever to mod.
(20:04:12) (lillemaan-) kribbaway fast vi spelar inte om du spelar
Sabotage
plummets to its death

Post by Sabotage »

KriBBa wrote:congrats, u picked the worst map ever to mod.
actc2 is a great map when it is played like it should be. Haven`t tested the "re-maked" one yet.
How am i spelling?" Please call 800-WHO-CARES or online at www.Tellsomeonewhocares.com
*bplease*
cloN
joined the game

Post by cloN »

I thought it was quite nice.
vampyre
is connecting

Post by vampyre »

ahhh well, sorry fellas gave it a shot, wasn't REALLY a release it was released for a bit of fun - didn't really expect it to be an official release.
Ahh well cheers anyway
Picer
sank like a rock

Post by Picer »

Now now, don't loose your heart. We played some of it the other day and it was fun. It now suddenly became a very riable AQ:G map, wich is good :)
Member of VfN "Vikings from North".

/connect aq2.catchgamer.no:27922 Catch-Gamer.no AQ2#4 ModernClassic for some oldschool FF action!
arild
loses a vital chest organ

Post by arild »

heh, quite cool. But some bugs here and there. And I dont know if you are going to be able to crouch under the bar near the elevator to hide behind the boxes.

-Alex
Hapid00!!
Da^JuaN
was picked off

Post by Da^JuaN »

I like the idea of remixing uncool maps into cooler maps, you did it great with tj.. but with act2, it seems to be even darker to me than the orginal version and besides that, there are even more places to camp and make the game slower then it actually was.

The main problem still is that the gameplay wont be much affected imo. I mean, its still "the elevator spawns" vs. the other spawns.
A tunnel from the elevator spawns to the main area would have helped more to creat a better version of act2.

I also wondered why you didnt lock the elevator, i know you fixed some bugs in tjt, i mean the tree for example. You could have done the same with the elavator.

Nevertheless, a nice idea.. but it could have done better, no offence :)
FooQ
hit the ground hard, real hard

Post by FooQ »

I liked this map, seemed it had potential especially for AQ2 CTF as I have been workin on a CTF version myself but then I noticed a real big problem for teamplay .. you cant shoot thru the fence either side if the gate .. which is where a lot of firefights occur on actcity2. Dunno if this was to stop teams camping in there but I didnt like removing that aspect of the maps playability. Otherwise it had some nice ideas especially in creatin more paths for CTF. btw I love tjt, its on rotation on our server and was on our old AQ2 CTF server too.
SoD
joined the game

Post by SoD »

havent seen this topic before..

well decided to give my thoughts too..

vampyre it looks like a cool map i guess.. its just i cant get over the fact that all it is is a edited version of actcity2. heres what i think, when a map is released officially thats how the author intended it to be. he liked it the way it was and thats why he released it that way. going back and changing the map only seems to go against what the author meant for it to be. basically what im getting at is editing maps other people make and then re-releasing them as your own = bad in my book and apparently CryptR (the guy that made actcity2) agrees with me.

this is taken straight out of the actcity2 readme:

* Copyright / Permissions *

Authors may NOT use this level as a base to build additional
levels.

its kinda like... plagiarism
FooQ
hit the ground hard, real hard

Post by FooQ »

Well I dont think its such a problem so long as you credit the original map maker and you really make the map different in such a way that it improves it for a reason. Yes its plagiarism if you claim its your own map, but everyone knows actcity2 isnt Vampyres map, this is a remix. It's not like he edited it for financial gain or even for fame and fortune now is it? =D
Haudrauf
tripped on its own grenade

Post by Haudrauf »

Code: Select all

=============================================================================
Title                   : Action City Remix -By Vampyre

Release Date (DD/MM/YY) : 22/02/2006

Author                  : Jeffery Wall -Vampyre and Lari Muuriaisniemi -CryptR
Email Address           : acowoncrack & lmuur@dlc.fi
Web Site                : www.freewebs.com/vampyre6

Description             : Action Quake2 map designed for deathmatch and teamplay.

Additional Credits to   : Wizard Ext -Textures and Entity Sparks.
                          Flunx - Textures

WHAT'S NEW              : Maps been Retextured and 2 more entranced placed
                          for faster paced rounds.

=============================================================================
And actually, I think vampyre should ask cryptr if he hasn't done yet - and put some more infos in that mapdoc. I preliminary removed the map act2r.zip (as soon I got notice) from the maparchive I run... but I hate to do such things. As cryptr is an old part of the AQ2 mapping scene, you at least owe to try to ask. :) Please fix that problem.

On some other occasions, the community certainly "allows" plagiarism. de_dust.zip, fooqsedge.zip .. Those are converted and edited from other games.

But to be real, it's not fully done by yourself. Architecture (if innovative or unique) sometimes counts as art and if it has been done by someone else than you then you normally gotta ask the author.
ImageOwner of http://aq2maps.quadaver.org
Not part of #aq2admins for a reason.
32bitzeba
is connecting

Post by 32bitzeba »

man actcity2 what a great map! ah it's all coming back to me now...