Progress on the code

Capture The Flag mod for Action Quake II.

Moderators: arild, Maniac-, WizardExt, Moderators

FooQ
hit the ground hard, real hard

Post by FooQ »

fuct: The difference is AQ2 has hundreds of maps, many made back when AQ2 was much more popular than it is now and new ones are still being made, albeit slowly. This AQ2 CTF mod sounds like it will have one or two on release, and its unlikely to have new maps made as frequently as AQ2, big difference there.
No Im not mad you didnt like my maps, I couldnt care less to be honest. I didnt put that much work into them as you can see theyre all small and simple or edited versions of AQ2 maps to play more fairly. I know they are liked by many people for the way we played CTF on our server and I also know they dont hold a candle graphically to maps released by say WizardExt or Beavisss. I hope theyre goin to make these new maps playable in normal Teamplay too cos theyre not gonna be played very long on this mod.

Den: Im an m4 guy too myself, but Im honest in saying mastering sniper is harder. You're the one who used the term 'Sniper noob quake' like you were belittling the skill of sniping in AQ2 not me. Tryin to backtrack and modify your comment after aint gonna cut it mate.
The way we played CTF left Snipers, Handcannons and knifes ... which resulted in a very balanced and skilful game many enjoyed, not just me, on Z0r our server was the only one running AQ2 CTF in the world and zor listed well over 100 people playing on it weekly.
Ive played AQ2 CTF on a few other servers prior to this with all weapons enabled and the one thing that most people realised was that it was the autos that ruin the game.

Im just speakin from experience and from what I read and gather this mod aint gonna be popular unless the autos and number of maps issues is well addressed. It looks like youre gonna make Kevlar pants or something to counter auto leg damage? So you acknowledge autos are a problem ... why not just do the brave thing and remove em? It works, no question.

Caracol: why stop yourself? It seems the way for everyone to greet someone new on the boards tryin to help out with their opinions and some material to work with. Which is why I now reply back with equal and greater rudeness when encountered. My main weapon of choice is m4 but I hate autos in CTF with a passion. I never hold my edited or converted maps out to be original, thats not the reason I made them. Theyre either AQ2 versions of maps from other mods or theyre AQ2 maps made to play fairer for CTF simple as that. and dont worry about your first post to me being so rude as it lets me reply with much more rudeness in turn you fetid piece of rancid excrement =D
Jabu
was flattened

Post by Jabu »

Well well...
That project sounds just perfect to me :D
keep on the fight with the code (or what the heck it ever is) :rambo:
chatode
joined the game

Post by chatode »

critisism is great aint it... :m00:

These opininion(s) seem to go in two different directions:
1.The aq2-ctf-team is doing something to the game that they believe could be helpful to cheer things up in the "collapsing" aq2-scene and make it a bit more complex.
2. FooQ, on the other hand believes that the answer is taking something away from this game.

I myself believe that things are still fine in the scene. The thing is that making new adjustments happens to be (imo) the way to keep old things interesting.

Maybe you have more experience from the publicity of the old ctf modification, but its freakin' useless to shoot down projects that 1. have not been released to the public nor been finished yet 2. are done freewillingly, and this is the thing I highly appreciate because without efforts from these kinds of people, I would say aq2 wouldn't be as fun for me as it is now.

Just cut the crap and give the bird a chance to fly, dont shoot it when its on the ground.

Keep up the good work. :hop:
aka Ode aka katodi
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

FooQ wrote:Den: Im an m4 guy too myself, but Im honest in saying mastering sniper is harder. You're the one who used the term 'Sniper noob quake' like you were belittling the skill of sniping in AQ2 not me.

Well we have this lil problem in europe which is the "SNIPE UNLY PLAISE MA8IZ, SNIPE UNLY PLAISE MA8IZ, SNIPE UNLY PLAISE MA8IZ, SNIPE UNLY PLAISE MA8IZ, SNIPE UNLY PLAISE MA8IZ, SNIPE UNLY PLAISE MA8IZ" or the "VOT3 TJ M8S PLEZ, VOT3 TJ M8S PLEZ, VOT3 TJ M8S PLEZ, VOT3 TJ M8S PLEZ, VOT3 TJ M8S PLEZ, VOT3 TJ M8S PLEZ, VOT3 TJ M8S PLEZ, VOT3 TJ M8S PLEZ" spam. Like i said before i dont hate snipers, i just hate those who whine about other people's weapons choice and yes those people are 99% snipers :D

And to me a ctf game with sniper only just sucks because not everyone likes to snipe (and yes i do know how to snipe). If removing the auto's is the solution then well i wont play it, ever. Well maybe i can boom the people :D
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
FooQ

Post by FooQ »

Yeah handcannons become much more useful if you play CTF this way, its really very enjoyable for anyone who likes the skilful play of snipers, handcannons and knives. Most people who like to only auto are frag whores and not into the team aspect of CTF anyhow, anyone who doesnt fit into this category will enjoy playing without autos. It's faster and wayyyy easier to capture without some gits campin the flags with m4s or hitting you in the legs bringing you to a crawl and certain death and returning the flag you worked so hard to grab.
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

Actually i'm more worried about the sniper defend flag part :)
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
BeAViS
ittssaaa marrrioooo!

Post by BeAViS »

Den wrote:.... (and yes i do know how to snipe). ....
and... yes... well.... when it happened?
:D

btw, snipers make the game run slow. and in my opinion ctf needs to be fast. fast. and fast.
but i can understand that snipers covering the flag would be a bit funny to avoid.. i think that ONE sniper per team will be wnough. play cliff2 ctf against mont and jok and you will understand why.

btw i hate snipers..there are only few ppl that i accept to be sniped from.
thats the way i chose to humiliate them with hc... HIHIHI.

EDIT:
Den wrote:Actually i'm more worried about the sniper defend flag part :)
i think could be funny to kill the sniper before, and then go to catch the flag. maybe attacking in formation.
but ONE sniper. not ONEhundred
- Killing today in old fashioned way -
- Beware of Beavers -
- :mario: -
FooQ

Post by FooQ »

Playing CTF on cliff2 sucks anyway, unless you've moved the flags from the TNG default positions one team can grab the flag and jump directly down onto their own flag from the clifftop. Which is why cliff2 was not on our rotation, jungle1 is similar too when one team can jump up the hill and land on their own flag to capture.
BeAViS
ittssaaa marrrioooo!

Post by BeAViS »

well... nice move... jumping down ad killing yourself to score.... i never thinked of it... maybe because of it would be too easy and not fun at all.
- Killing today in old fashioned way -
- Beware of Beavers -
- :mario: -
fuct
is full of buckshot

Post by fuct »

ctf on cliff2 is highly unbalanced but we knew that ages ago, thats kinda the point of the new maps. Did it ever occur to you that maybe shooting somebody in the legs (flag carrier especially) might be a damn good tactic? this is where the "drop flag" command comes in, give it to a teamy, solved.

I think what the boys are trying to do to ctf might just be too big of a jump to you, do any of your servers even recognise the "lens" command?
FooQ

Post by FooQ »

Yes, legging someone is a good tactic for CTF, and way too friggin easy with 20-30 ping and an mp5 or m4, and if they drop the flag you can leg or shoot the crap out of anyone that tries to pick up the flag too since its a stationary piece of bait. Problem is, this slows down the game and makes autos even more all powerful in CTF than they are in Teamplay. I speak from huge experience in running a popular CTF server and playing CTF on other's servers. Autos are the devil and the death of AQ2 CTF. I even ban akimbos for the same reason, they're gimp machines.

---den: i removed the fun part, play nice :)

Ok den, I'll tone down my reply on fucts attempt to be clever, which was in no way clever as obviously my server is TNG as it is a CTF server and therefore supports the lens command. fucts mistake has nothing to do with a popular Irish stereotype and him saying this version of CTF is way too big a jump for me in no way warrants the reply I made including potatoes.
And I apologise to Sir Bob Geldof and Bono for the comments I made about them, to some people they may be considered intellectuals.
Racial, ethnic and national stereotyping is not funny or clever kids.
*hangs head in shame*
Last edited by FooQ on Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dudemcpek
had its throat slit

Post by dudemcpek »

I prefer M4 over sniper and would get bored really fast if I played your version of CTF. I'd probably play it like 10 mins a week and even that'd be too much.
Like den said it's really annoying if you join a public server and everyone shouts ssg only. But I think that changed a bit, not many people still do that, so don't you convert us back to that :D

Anyway, all these modifications the team is working on will make it more balanced and I'm sure you'll drop your handicapped version of CTF once the new one is out.
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

FooQ i really dont care if you want to have a go at someone but we got another forum for that.
fuct
is full of buckshot

Post by fuct »

You are whining about something we have been trying to get done around here for a long time, what the fuck sort or replies do you expect? You say there is a negative attitude around here and maybe there is but we are only being negative about your negative attitude towards the hugely positive thing that these people are doing for AQ2CTF. If you dont like it dont play it, your opinion on any of these matters isnt going to change what will be done with this mod so whatever you say makes no difference.

There i made it through a whole new post without mentioning rednecks, convicts, dingo's eating human's and terrible beer. Happy dennis?
Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

I enjoyed the standard AQ2CTF, but it can definitly use some tweaks. I understand FooQ's feelings in his first post, and I think we need to accept some rash complaints when we're dealing with changing AQ2 as the game we know it. Let's lay off with the fighting over what weapon requires the most skill to use, shall we? I've created a new thread where you can continue that discussion here: http://forums.aq2world.com/viewtopic.php?p=45759#45759 !

What I think would be interesting to see in this mod was if people couldn't decide what unique weapon and item to spawn with. Instead a team would have to controll the different weapons (and ammo) and items on the map in order to gain an advantage over the enemy. The interesting part about this would be to see if it would turn into a pistol toothing mod and how maps without weapon spawns should be handled.
Steinar "Blue Vex" Furuli
I snipe with my Pistol, and your Rifle.