^J Mod V1.24 Status Log - RELEASED

PaTMaN's ^J Mod for Action Quake II (http://patman.has.it).

Moderators: PaTMaN, Moderators

PaTMaN
^J Mod

^J Mod V1.24 Status Log - RELEASED

Post by PaTMaN »

Ok, I've got some updates in mind already. One, I just thought about an hour ago. This idea really shows some potential...

Idea 1: New puppet mode: Trainer
In Trainer mode, the puppet will go through jumps one by one. At the end of the jump, a marker will be placed. When you touch this marker, the puppet will assume you completed the jump successfully. Then it will teleport you to the next jump location and show you how to do the next one. This is the basic process but there is also room for commands to tell the puppet to skip the jump, show it again, show the jump every x amount of seconds, stop showing the jump, go back to the last jump, move to a specific jump, and so on.

So with this mode, you could join a public server, set the puppet as a trainer, and run through the jumps on the server. I like this idea much more than manually loading jumps yourself. I think this mode can really help bring diversity to people and their jumping knowledge and ability.

Idea 2: Trail Follow Accuracy
The goal of this idea is to have a display which shows your current accuracy on following a trail, and the over all accuracy. With this, you can get a better idea of how well you are following a trail. The only current way to know if you are following a trail well is to enable trail flashes.
Last edited by PaTMaN on Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Fixed the laser sight bug found in V1.23... it seems that as I was cleaning up the code, I overlooked a line inside a large commented block, and deleted it. I popped the line back in place and its all better.

Well, what I was going to do was keep the V1.23 release as is, and release this little fix with the source code. But I got to thinking... I like the idea of releasing versions as things are fixed, and I bet you guys do too. So I'm going to add a revision version to the numbering and get releases out as things are finished (Major.Minor.Rev). So, V1.23 will remaing the major.minor version until I deem it necessary for a new minor of V1.24. This laser fix will be V1.23.01.

I will not, however, be releasing documentation updates for revisions. All the info needed on revisions will be mentioned here.

For a note, puppet demos will still only use a major.minor version format.

Another update for rev 01. I noticed that the jmodversion cvar wasn't being displayed in the server info for browsers, though I had originally set it to display. Fixed it so it shows now.

Another note, I'm making this revision process as easy as possible for myself by writing scripts to pull resources together, compile (win and lin), package (win and lin and src), and update my website. Hopefully this will be done tomorrow. If I don't get it all done though, I'll still put the rev 01 and the source up.
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Got a lot of work done on the "man" command and manual file format. I've got about 50% of the manual written so far.

Just spent some time today on an idea, which has turned out very well for not much coding. It is jump trail prediction, which shows you the trail of where you would jump at certain speeds. I'm mainly just playing around with it right now to see where it can lead. Here's a demo of it: http://patman.byethost6.com/jump_trail_ ... ion_01.dm2
(Note this is hosted on my old site, new site is at http://patman.has.it at indevs.com, just incase u didnt get tha memo)

Remember it is just some simple testing right now and I'm not sure if I can get things like strafe jumping and mouse movement programmed in to be useful for much greater ideas.
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Does anyone have a set of steps to recreate puppet demos not playing correctly after loading? I can't seem to find how to do it, or maybe my other puppet demo fix ended up fixing that as well.
Janner
found a way out

Post by Janner »

Tried to download 1.23 (way too late) and I couldn't open it. zip was damaged...
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

All V1.23.01 files on the website are fine.
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Did a lot of bug fixin today... enough to release V1.23.02! Go grab it at my site.

Regarding Janner's previous post, we have found that the native .zip processing in WinXP is very limited and didn't want to open files I zipped. This problem has been fixed with V1.23.02 packages.
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

/me strokes patman
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

XD

I dont have much left to document for the in-game manual file. Expect a release for that soon... like tomorrow or earlier!

Another bug fix (pclear) and another update (pdemo shootable) added to the list for next release.
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Ok the very first in-game ^J Mod manual file has been released. You can grab it on my site. This is very helpful for finding commands and how to use them. Place the jmod.man file into your action directory and it will be accessed by ^J Mod when using the 'man' command. No server restart needed.
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

Fixed some more buggies...

I've got my proposed V1.23.03 release information listed in the update list thread.

Uncle, the best way to avoid seeing a puppet's model when in eyes is to just do a r_drawentities 0. This removes all model entities. Otherwise, this is all I can do:

When you are the only person on a server, spectating your puppet/pup in eyes removes its model temporarily, thus removing it from your view.

When you and another person are on a server, spectating the other person results in their model being removed temporarily. Puppet models do not disappear however. <-- Leaving this out due to needing way too much coding and rework. Puppet/Pup each needed 3 lines of code extra, while players depend on the variable I was modiying a lot more.

I have one more thought on it but it isn't worth it. So hopefully you like these updates and the regular q2 r_drawentities command idea.
Last edited by PaTMaN on Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

V1.23.03 has been released. Hopefully V1.23.04 will have the puppet trainer implemented.
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

As you can see, a lot of bugs have showed up and some updates that are needed. I'm juggling my time with a lot of stuff thats goin on, so I work on things when I can. I have plans to update puppet demos, which might even make a worthy v1.24 release.
PaTMaN
^J Mod

Post by PaTMaN »

When I started puppet demos way back, I had a plan set out for how to do it all. For some reason, I strayed from that path. Now after all this time, I see that I should have done it the first way I thought up. So, I'm now doing that. What will result from this is some bug fixes, less processor usage, less disk access, better playback controls, and most important, easier coding for me! So I haven't spent much time on this yet, but I've already got stuff going well.
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

This final revision thing didn't really work out did it? :)
I don't give a shit.