anticheat clients and server info

The place to discuss your client and server issues, or to post your client and server related problems. Now with added Anticheat flavour.

Moderator: Moderators

ShubN
is connecting

Post by ShubN »

emperphis wrote: Q2Admin does allow a "nick registration" scheme. As far as I've seen almoust every server is running q2admin and by this an implementation would be possible. This is running (again) on my servers (nfsi and wireplay).
just check and edit the q2adminban.txt file :)
BeAViS
ittssaaa marrrioooo!

Post by BeAViS »

Flunx wrote:
NRGizeR wrote: A nick registering system should have been added years ago, why not use this for that instead..? (Is there a nick reg system out in europe? I have never come across one...)
There have been a couple as far as I remember. A swedish server (matshus?) required people to registrer at it's homepage and put the login info in your autoexec in order to connect.
damain had it.
and maybe it still has, but im not sure..
try connecting with name ]UZI[BeAViS and tell me if you can:
if you can, nick protection is down. if you dont, its still on :D
- Killing today in old fashioned way -
- Beware of Beavers -
- :mario: -
R1CH
joined the game

Post by R1CH »

So I still see very few AQ2 servers using this at all. Come on, give me some reasons :D.
fuct
is full of buckshot

Post by fuct »

Because scandanavians dont want to give up their cheating ways
dudemcpek
had its throat slit

Post by dudemcpek »

It's quite funny how they don't care about the new anticheat stuff. It can't be anything else than what fuct said.
BeAViS
ittssaaa marrrioooo!

Post by BeAViS »

fuct wrote:Because scandanavians dont want to give up their cheating ways
what he said.
damain is only server that has it i think.
but, as i said in aka's thread, cheating keeps the community alive.

go on cheaters!
- Killing today in old fashioned way -
- Beware of Beavers -
- :mario: -
emperphis
blew itself up

Post by emperphis »

emperphis wrote:As admin for NFSi and Wireplay AQ2 servers (european) AC is already available on all NFSi (optional for 27910 & 27930, mandatory for 27920) and Wireplay. As far as I know stric and haud have implemented it as well..
which makes last resort, golar and da main anticheat enabled servers.
I've god as my lollipop
fuct
is full of buckshot

Post by fuct »

Long live scandanavia!
minchiano
bleeds to death

Post by minchiano »

R1CH wrote:So I still see very few AQ2 servers using this at all. Come on, give me some reasons :D.
Main reason in my opinion is lazy, inactive server admins.
emu
Syndrome of a Down

Post by emu »

minchiano wrote:
R1CH wrote:So I still see very few AQ2 servers using this at all. Come on, give me some reasons :D.
im 100% behind minchiii on this. The server problem isn't that people are cheating. Its the activeness of admins. On Catch-gamer we have 3 admins, Nufan,Flunx,Skretch.

How many of these are active ? As much as I play, I encounter one of these on a semi regular basis. Thats Skretch. No offence towards the other two admins, they connect as fast as they can if I come to their channel and react on something funky on the server. Good going to Nufan for using his time even tho hes not connected. More doubts on Flunx tho.

The admins are doing what I call a "semi good effort". They are there when they can, but they are all 3 to inactive to do the admin job alone. They need some main active admins to do the job. Most people will put the though of me as an admin as im posting and im active, but I know as well as nufan that id prolly do a decent job in the begining and down size the work as time goes, as id more likely change maps then kick people (Hello round rotation). Id like to put some names forth when it comes to activity.

Check the server activity. What people are ok to give admin to. Its obvious the server needs active admins. Its power and I know Nufan loves having, but seriously the admins needs 2-3 more active once.

Give us that.
Call me your valentine call me once tonight
Stric
needs some Pepto Bismol

Post by Stric »

All this "admins activity" can be changed with AC enabled server :D No work for admin then :D Dont know, maybe admins like the work they do now O_o
^stric^
Monk
plummets to its death

Post by Monk »

minchiano wrote:
I concur. That's why I made uberSERVER so that lazy admins could just install one big map pack and everyone who connects would be able to auto-download the maps from the server (which in turn gets maps distributed more and allows players without the maps to continue playing on the server thus increasing popularity).

But good god, you're lucky if you can find a server with an MOTD that has actual contact information. If it does, more often than not it's outdated. And some servers are just forgotten *nix boxes running some old-ass AQ2 version in the closet of some workplace, long-abandoned and running on cron jobs.

Also, there are Mac OS X clients and servers. Not just Linux. Though, technically, you'd also have to add client exceptions for people playing basic Q2 on SGI Irix, Solaris, BeOS, and even classic Mac OS as well. Yes, those people still exist though not in great numbers.

Anyway, a good effort. I couldn't really support it myself for some of the reasons outlined, i.e. no support for *nix or OS X, the social aspect of "well you must be a cheater if you're not using this client", and administration--how many servers do you need to "register" with to be excepted, how will that screw you up for 'pick-up' games when you want to randomly pop in a server, how do you 'prove' you're on an excepted OS and actually PLAY on that OS?

I think it's nice for league games on controlled servers though you still have the issue of cross-platform compatibility.

Back in the day we considered moving Reaction Quake 3 over to Enemy Territory or Return to Castle Wolfenstein. The main reason we didn't was there was no Mac support at the time and most importantly, if there WAS Mac support, there were no QVMs (quake virtual machine, platform-independent way of making mods) available. We could still compile directly into game libraries but, again, there were no Mac project files for compiling into a Mac-compatible game library. In fact, for RtCW the ability to have mods for the Mac platform was completely broken as in NEVER IMPLEMENTED. The hell is up with that? I think later on support might have been added in a patch but it took a crap-ton of effort to get the parties involved to 1) admit there was an issue and 2) support it in a patch.

So yeah, for some people, crossplatform compatibility is a big deal.
Monk
plummets to its death

Post by Monk »

Flunx wrote:
NRGizeR wrote: A nick registering system should have been added years ago, why not use this for that instead..? (Is there a nick reg system out in europe? I have never come across one...)
There have been a couple as far as I remember. A swedish server (matshus?) required people to registrer at it's homepage and put the login info in your autoexec in order to connect.
I do think Mat's Haus (?) had it, whoever the guy was who ran a server for the old Norwegian Whalers clan with Lurker, Matts, etc.
minchiano
bleeds to death

Post by minchiano »

Mats had it and it worked just fine. I might mail Mike-MfS and see if he knows where to get it, that is if CG admins wants to implement it (it sure is needed...).
Monk wrote:issue of cross-platform compatibility
I've heard this long enough. And fudge-on-a-burning stick knows the game's been out long enough. If not enough OS clients/servers are implemented in the anticheat/nickregistration/whatever by now, I'd say FUCK 'EM! It has always just sounded to me like a loophole for xtra über cheating to me anyway... The abandoned servers aren't the issue here, it's the ones that are populated nowadays and has 'active' admins residing in #aq2admins we're talking about. What's that off some 100 servers I see in my ASE? around 20. I say we force Apr 1.20 and r1ch's anticheat + nickreg on ALL those servers and ship the remaining players to Sibiria!

All I want is a good game of AQ2 without cheaters or fakenicking kids...
emu
Syndrome of a Down

Post by emu »

the best thing catch could do is add a nick-based login to the server. People would prolly still cheat, but you'd know who.
Call me your valentine call me once tonight