Client settings

Here you can look up the old topics of the ESAQL and the Nations Cup.

Moderator: Moderators

MysteryMan
plummets to its death

Client settings

Post by MysteryMan »

What do you think about these screenshots? The screenshots came from the eaql match with c&c vs quad.

The problem here is that the player in question is using a cl_picmip setting of 5. Personally I don't have an idea why the hell they had invented that stupid cvar, which only makes you textures blurry into almost one color.

Tell what you think about it... Is it normal/legal or is it not but allowed to play with?

I'm curious.....
MysteryMan
Founder of AQ2admins
Http://mysteryman.z0r.nl/aq2/
MysteryMan
plummets to its death

Post by MysteryMan »

My personal opinion is that player settings are allowed to be changed, as long as the textures are still 'normal'. Ofcourse it is hard to say what the limits are, since everyone has a different cpu/vidcard etc. This would be almost the same as using glowskins....

also the playermip setting shouldn't be too high... which will result in a glowskin look...

hmpf.. why don't we just all make our textures white and play vs black skins? gah..

grtz
MysteryMan
Founder of AQ2admins
KrapYl
joined the game

Post by KrapYl »

well, if this is allowed... then its ok to change my mutlicolored textures to one color textures... i dont see the diff really... as it servers the same porpuse... with our days PC's... their is no signifiant perfomance gain from this, only the visual changes... so, bye bye!
goldblade
hit the ground hard, real hard

Post by goldblade »

In my opinion (and i believe most of my fellow clan members also) this is unacceptable. Having one colour textures makes it A LOT ( i can't emphasis enough) easier to see people giving you an unfair advantage. Your eyes do not get distracted tot he textures are they are non existent, player models damagae allocation spots are easier to identifiy, and it sort of makes the map and models glow. I say again, this is unacceptable.

If I knew that Quad were playing with those settings against us I would've complained from the start, although it has only just came out now.

It also ruins the game. I don't understand why people change these settings at all. :roll: The only thing i've ever changed is gl_modulatbut and only because everyone does it and if I didn't playing would be impossible. If no-one changed it I woudl happily change it back between 2 - 3 say.
:D
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

:shock:

First.... make rules for once ok. It will make ur league look a bit professional.

Picmip might not b normal and it will make ur aq look like hell, but if a player wants to play like this?? just let him. I dont see any reason why he shouldnt be allowed to play with a high picmip.

And now dont say: 'oh picmip is cheatin.. let me change the textures in paint and make 'm white or something' That is cheating. You lot say: picmip will make it easier to spot players but gl_modulate doesnt ????? Cmon, gl_mod helps more then picmip.

You know what i think cheating is ???? Changed Sounds (louder) Changed Textures, Changed Weapon Models (m4 -> chicken), Changed Weapon Skins (1 color, bright), wallhack, m4 scripts, spikes, acom yakyak.

So what about ppl with slower pc's?
This option controls the texture detail of the map, each value greater than 0 cuts the size of textures used in the map by half. This helps reduce memory requirements resulting in smoother frame rate in complex scenes. The down side is this will make things a bit more blurry.

:shock:
Last edited by Den on Thu Sep 18, 2003 8:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
Stim
sank like a rock

Post by Stim »

I think it's more sad than cheating.

tbh I really couldnt play with anything like that. Having to ruin a game by turning the textures off merely so you can see the models better is a pretty piss poor way of playing.

If you played for fun, you wouldnt do something like this. Just shows how far some people are willing to go to put winning over fun.

just my two cents...
Tocra
is connecting

Post by Tocra »

Picmip is normal for q3 why its here so a problem.... ???
dudemcpek
had its throat slit

Post by dudemcpek »

I kinda agree with Krapy|... But if there would be rules saying that u shouldn't have picmip like this one from ss (I don't know how much that is, 5 or something) then this is cheat, in league ofcourse. Otherwise ppl change their crosshair, weapon skins, sky, sounds etc.

Like I said, it depends on the rules of the league. I votet this is normal but shouldn't be in eaql...
KrapYl
joined the game

Post by KrapYl »

he has changed the textures ALOT...

he has changed skins ALOT...

what else than a big fat boot, can u give him ?...

i mean, the sniper is 1/3 of its normal lenght... thats pretty obvious on long distance...

IBA, why did u set picmic 5 ? do u play on a 200MHz pentium oldie but goodie with a voodoo 1 card ? ... or is it just because its make the whole map much more eye friendly ? and was also told u using playermic ontop of the picmic... just how much glowy effects u like ?...
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

he diddnt change his textures.... he used picmip

Weapon model is changed BUT its an offical model?

u use gl_mod to make it 'much more eye friendly' ?
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
Repsaj
as long as it's salty..

Post by Repsaj »

I voted that it isnt normal but should play in eaql coz ithink most people of the better clans have this kinda stuff seeing from last season. I dont play like that i just play with normal picmip andsuch but hey if someone doesnt want to do anything but win.. ill let them
KrapYl
joined the game

Post by KrapYl »

well, changin weapon skins seems to be something people like to do... but on the other hand, u have got to agree with me, that making it 1/3, or 1/2 of its original size, its a bit cheat cheat.... no ?

so what if i made it twice or 3 times bigger ?... that would be ok too ?
KrapYl
joined the game

Post by KrapYl »

and even more... wasnt it the team who had the SAME problem last season ? SS was too freaky.. ?
Repsaj
as long as it's salty..

Post by Repsaj »

KrapYl wrote:and even more... wasnt it the team who had the SAME problem last season ? SS was too freaky.. ?
yup
MysteryMan
plummets to its death

Post by MysteryMan »

I got a penthium 233 with a crappy voodoo3 here myself and i play fine without the picmip setting. :!:

Using such a high picmip setting is almost the same as using just one colored textures... I don't say picmip should be banned from your config... I just say that these values are just way to high.

grtz
MysteryMan
Founder of AQ2admins