Client settings

Here you can look up the old topics of the ESAQL and the Nations Cup.

Moderator: Moderators

Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

i find this topic funny, so i made a pic with my new picmip texutrizing anti-adminthingy haxx..

Cheat!

:shock:

Oh my god!
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
El_Senator
is connecting

Post by El_Senator »

Nice ssg-skin :|
:|
Haudrauf
tripped on its own grenade

Post by Haudrauf »

You are playing a modification of Quake 2.

Quake always had (and that makes it different from any other 3d-shooter not based on the quake-engine) a console.

So, when Quake always was about console, i see, you just hadn't the time to explore them all.

Let's get some more into history.

I have been there (in inet) since quake has been released. I am talking of Quake 1 - not Quake 2. I have been there when proxies were developed and it was a good thing.

Yes, proxies can be good. Just don't be narrow-minded. Proxies in gaming were first used to establish static routing to overcome country frontiers.

Then, proxies were there to get a better teamplay going. Then proxies were there to prevent cheating. Then, some guys hacked proxies, and they released new ones... NOW, the well-known Qizmo Proxy for QuakeWorld is that far advanced, that noone in my reach ever heard of a hacked Qizmo-Proxy.

The Qizmo Proxy was developed by the same people who made The All-Seeing Eye.

http://www.udpsoft.com

It has been established in QuakeWorld a long time ago. And console scripting was and is a must have. "Scripting" is for doing more automated things on a specified button. Scripting is "normal".

There was a time, when many guys changed models of items ingame. Since the countries frontiers melted (with qizmo static routing) it became more and more "cheating". Cheating is, what the "mass" does not find "normal". You now get, what i am talking about.

It has come to the end with: Fullbrightskins are 100% allowed, picmip is 100% allowed, whereas bright ingame items are not.

It's standard (still speaking of QuakeWorld).

What standard do you want in AQ2?

Are we playing a game of newbie players who don't know about console commands - which are a 100% part of the game - of the Quake-engine?

I don't want to accuse anyone of you being a "newbie". But it is 2003 and still, there are people who don't know about essential console commands for tweaking the game to their visual preference.

I was wondering about the guy above.. he complains about having the weaponmodel smaller... omg. Did you ever hear of "set hand 2"?!

This makes the weapon invisible. Standard cvar! Everyone knows. (Do you know?)

I play "set hand 2".

I have nothing to hide. I often play my AQ2 with gl_picmip 2 and sometimes with gl_picmip 5 or even 8.

I can understand when leagues want to set limits for "visual tweaking". It's their right to do so, ... to establish a competitional environment for all players and a level they can compete on.

But before you judge about cvars like:

"i don't even know what cl_picmip is, what according to what you just said, it's cheating!!"

... learn about it and get the way right.

Last EAQL season, we had the same problem with it. IBA was having "gl_picmip 10". EAQL was the first league who really cared about it. We see: there are frontiers melting. Ok, we accepted the constraint and IBA changed to "gl_picmip 5".

But now.. hardly one year later, you want to go more far. "gl_picmip 5 is cheating and far too high" - many of you just said this (perhaps in other words) in this thread.

Have you been playing three years ago? Have you been living through the development process of AQ2? Have you been involved in doing anti-cheating measures? Have you been involved in doing a scene-platform like this is?

I was.

Changing rules mid-league is already typical for EAQL. Not really the nicest way to do rules.

We always changed to your ways of playing. Perhaps you will try to understand our ways of playing too? Some nationalities should start with it soon, since pings and connections between countries get better. For example: swedish, finnish, norwegian people.

"gl_picmip 5" now or not? Fear it? .. If you fear it, learn to cope with it - take your time.

As: "It's not the camper. It is you who can't manage to get him killed out of his position."

I won't accept anyone who just got to know about these commands and then say "it's cheating". Go home and better play in the sandbox then.

Good night.

/Haudraufwienix

Links to the topic follow..

Old EAQL site with setting-rules:

http://www.smashboz.nl/eaql/rules.asp

New EAQL site with no setting-rules at all (state 19.09.2003):

http://mysteryman.z0r.nl/eaql/eaql/rules.html

Qizmo Proxy (for those interested):

http://www.udpsoft.com/
ImageOwner of http://aq2maps.quadaver.org
Not part of #aq2admins for a reason.
KrapYl
joined the game

Post by KrapYl »

Clowneh, what is it ur not getting ?... on HIS machine... the sniper looks like that... so when he see it on 200 meters away... he can still see thats its way smaller than an M4... wich is about just as much used as an sniper... he can see... i CANT... cause i dont have a ½sized sniper.... so to me, from that exact same spot... i would not be able to just by size, tell wether this was an M4, or indeed my belowed sniper... BUT IBA, he can... he knows thats the sniper over there... and does not need to double check, look twice, or even think twice... he knows... i know his weapon skins, are not visible to me... only to him... and he will see my sniper rifle, as a little hand gun too... where i see my own sniper as 100% pure and original badboy aq2 1.52 style...
KrapYl
joined the game

Post by KrapYl »

Haudrauf wrote:
I was wondering about the guy above.. he complains about having the weaponmodel smaller... omg. Did you ever hear of "set hand 2"?!

I play "set hand 2".

allright... let me cut it out in my own exgrements....

ITS WHEN THE FREAKING WEAPON IS IN A OPPONENTS HAND, OR ON THE GROUND... NOT WHEN ITS IN UR OWN HAND, THATS NOT MY POINT... MY POINT IS THAT IT MAKES IT EASIER TO SPOT WETHER ITS SSG OR M4.... ON A DISTANCE... HEEEEEELLLLOOOOOO ?????
Haudrauf

Post by Haudrauf »

TrueTom wrote:
Also, everyone does not know how to set picmap proparly, and therefor an advantage is given to those who do know. I do guess that everyone know how to set gl_modulate and therefor its equal and fair to everyone.

I'd concider it as a cheat, for my part, though some people may not.

Finally teach people. I can't just blow gl_picmip out of the head, you know? :) Must I be dumb to play AQ2 "properly" so that i don't know of gl_picmip? Get the way right. Let others learn about it, but don't blame "more advanced players" to switch gl_picmip off, because most guys don't even now how to use it.. this is ridiculous.

Teach them how to. This would solve your problem, TrueTom.

/Hau
Haudrauf

Post by Haudrauf »

KrapYl wrote:
Haudrauf wrote:

I play "set hand 2".

ITS WHEN THE FREAKING WEAPON IS IN A OPPONENTS HAND, OR ON THE GROUND... NOT WHEN ITS IN UR OWN HAND, THATS NOT MY POINT... MY POINT IS THAT IT MAKES IT EASIER TO SPOT WETHER ITS SSG OR M4.... ON A DISTANCE... HEEEEEELLLLOOOOOO ?????
Hello.

And you do see all this on the screenies above? :) I only see the HUD-visual. Perhaps you are a wallhacker, so you see more.

So.. this is not the topic - according to the screenies. Get back to picmip pls. But still, this gun he has in his hand is an official model with it's own official skin.

/Hau
Clement
Master of the Universe

Post by Clement »

M4Script is all console commands. Scripting a so-called 'automated' thing. Does that make it any less of a cheat? It's makes you have to control the recoil of the M4..

You can wallhack based solely on console commands. Does that make it any less of a cheat?

Now I know that those h4X has been disabled by Q2Admin and the like, but you can also limit picmip values in Q2Admin. Why haven't that been done then, you ask? When we made the server configs for the Boomtown servers we really weren't aware of the fact that it's apparently widely used on the German scene, and saw no need to limit it.

Having your picmip at such a high value as seen on the shots in this thread is imo just as good as a glowskin. But then again, are glowskins accepted in Germany? Having to distinguish the glowy skin from the multicolored background texture, or having to distinguish the multicolored player skin from the single colored background texture really aren't that different.

And please don't give me the 'Q3 and/or Q2DM looks like this, so AQ2 can too' argument, because it is absolutely no good! This is not Q2DM. In Q2DM glowskins are allowed, and the games (mods) can't be compared.

I would ramble on if I hadn't been so damn tired.

Notice; This is my personal oppinion, and might not reflect the final decision from the EAQL Team.
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

Morpher wrote:
When we made the server configs for the Boomtown servers we really weren't aware of the fact that it's apparently widely used on the German scene, and saw no need to limit it.

like who ??? make me a list :) i think u lot are just sucking this out of ur thumbs.
Last edited by Den on Thu Sep 18, 2003 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
KrapYl
joined the game

Post by KrapYl »

Haudrauf wrote:
KrapYl wrote:
Haudrauf wrote:

I play "set hand 2".

Hello.

And you do see all this on the screenies above? :) I only see the HUD-visual. Perhaps you are a wallhacker, so you see more.

So.. this is not the topic - according to the screenies. Get back to picmip pls. But still, this gun he has in his hand is an official model with it's own official skin.

/Hau

the topic is wether these client setting is allright or not... i dont think that a half sized weapon is ok... cause it makes it easyier to spot in an enemys hand, or on the ground... maybe not to "spot" litteraly... but to "tell the difference" from other big weapons... like the popular M4... most time when u meet a guy, either he have M4 or SSG... now both these weapons are big... so by making one of them ½ sized, i can tell the difference from a distance.... wich part of this dont u get ??? is it ok to change it so i can see the difference from the distance ? is it ok for me to give my self an better stand than my oponent ? ... now someone _might_ say that the M4 is almost black, and the sniper is much more greyish... but with picmic 5 / playermic 5.... its not so damn easy to see, so i can see why he has done it... and therefor it leads me to believe that this guy would do anything to give himself the advanced stand... to any enemy of his...
Clement
Master of the Universe

Post by Clement »

Den wrote:
Morpher wrote:
When we made the server configs for the Boomtown servers we really weren't aware of the fact that it's apparently widely used on the German scene, and saw no need to limit it.

like who ??? make me a list :) i think u lot are just sucking this out of ur thumbs.

Like who what?

[edit] Xiit edit Den! :) [/edit]
Kurupt
:I

Post by Kurupt »

Finally someone who takes the blame. The EAQL rules weren't clear enough, the servers had no restrictions for picmip or whatsoever... So now you gonna let them play a rematch cuz of your failure? Or you even gonna kick/ban him?
*hali*
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

the german ppl who 'abuse' picmip
Haudrauf

Post by Haudrauf »

Morpher wrote:M4Script is all console commands. Scripting a so-called 'automated' thing. Does that make it any less of a cheat? It's makes you have to control the recoil of the M4..

You can wallhack based solely on console commands. Does that make it any less of a cheat?
Using scripts to wallhack is still a wallhack.

Using scripts to aim is still aiming (parallel to bots).

I agree here.

But using cvars (not even advanced scripts) for visual improvements is in the nature of every quake game.

Morpher wrote:
Now I know that those h4X has been disabled by Q2Admin and the like, but you can also limit picmip values in Q2Admin. Why haven't that been done then, you ask? When we made the server configs for the Boomtown servers we really weren't aware of the fact that it's apparently widely used on the German scene, and saw no need to limit it.
Define yourself as the "good one" and it's all ok for you. Just ignore the "german setting" and do a serverside restriction for picmip. Your world will be all fine again.

Morpher wrote:
Having your picmip at such a high value as seen on the shots in this thread is imo just as good as a glowskin. But then again, are glowskins accepted in Germany? Having to distinguish the glowy skin from the multicolored background texture, or having to distinguish the multicolored player skin from the single colored background texture really aren't that different.
All public servers in germany use male/nut or male/cyrus as skins.. for leagues, they use male/ctf_r and male/ctf_b.

Morpher wrote:
And please don't give me the 'Q3 and/or Q2DM looks like this, so AQ2 can too' argument, because it is absolutely no good! This is not Q2DM. In Q2DM glowskins are allowed, and the games (mods) can't be compared.
I hate QuakeWorld (q1) being mistook for Q2. I was talking of Q1. A still active scene.

/Hau
KrapYl
joined the game

Post by KrapYl »

Kurupt wrote:Finally someone who takes the blame. The EAQL rules weren't clear enough, the servers had no restrictions for picmip or whatsoever... So now you gonna let them play a rematch cuz of your failure? Or you even gonna kick/ban him?

i surely hope that EAQL is man enough to face the fact that they told IBA that he could use 0-5 picmic... and i surely hope that the match is final... no replay.. at that current time, IBA didnt break the rules of the game... except for that weapon skin mwuuahahahahaha