Client settings

Here you can look up the old topics of the ESAQL and the Nations Cup.

Moderator: Moderators

Clement
Master of the Universe

Post by Clement »

We can't really ban/kick/yell/scream at players for using stuff that hasn't been mentioned in the rules. But I'm sure we will redo the rules so it becomes clear what is acceptable and what's not. Again, this is only my opinion, and shouldn't be considered a final decision.
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

That sniper model isnt wrong. A lot of people use(d) it
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
KrapYl
joined the game

Post by KrapYl »

Den wrote:That sniper model isnt wrong. A lot of people use(d) it

maybe (d)... but who uses that now ? and more important, who uses this in EAQL ?

and BTW, what makes it an official skin ?
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

well all skins/sounds/crosshairs etc on The Action Guild sites were announched 'official'
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
Clement
Master of the Universe

Post by Clement »

Haudrauf wrote:But using cvars (not even advanced scripts) for visual improvements is in the nature of every quake game.

A wallhack could be considered a visual improvement as well if you gonna claim that the screenshots posted in this thread is 'visually improved' compared to 1.52 AQ2 graphics. And the wallhack console command was nothing but a cvar as well.

Haudrauf wrote:Define yourself as the "good one" and it's all ok for you. Just ignore the "german setting" and do a serverside restriction for picmip. Your world will be all fine again.

The Boomtown servers are mainly used by Danes, Swedes and Norwegians. In none of those communities is picmip values of that kind accepted. So yes, the servers should be set up to follow the way the game is played in the respective countries using the server. (And I am in no way trying to define myself as the "good one". You must get your movie history right; Morpheus is the leader, Neo is the One. :))

Haudrauf wrote:All public servers in germany use male/nut or male/cyrus as skins.. for leagues, they use male/ctf_r and male/ctf_b.

The you must be able to follow my arguments?

Haudrauf wrote:I hate QuakeWorld (q1) being mistook for Q2. I was talking of Q1. A still active scene.

I wasn't referring to your post when I was talking about Q2DM. I just saw some guys trying to use Q2DM as a reason as to why they could make AQ2 look like that.
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

Ok!.... for u smart admins out there!

What about gl_coloredlightmaps 0 ???!??!@#?!?@#!?@#

Iit makes ur q2 look gray, but the skins are still the same! meaning: u see the skins better!! its a cheat too!

:?

Thanks kur!
Haudrauf
tripped on its own grenade

Post by Haudrauf »

Whatever, this thread is closed for me. I play like i want to.

Without cheating, without hiding anything. Feeling free and having my fun.
ImageOwner of http://aq2maps.quadaver.org
Not part of #aq2admins for a reason.
Rallu
hit the ground hard, real hard

Post by Rallu »

I think ALL of you european players CHEAT!

gl_modulate > 3 is cheating

your arguments are just as usefull as that argument... different countries have always used different settings and I can't even care less what you are using.

----

And talking about scripts and different gl commands...

-gl_clear aint cheat (helps to use wallhack, but useless to non-wh guy)

-gl_picmip aint cheat

-high gl_modulate values aint cheat

It doesn't matter what values you use. Only thing that matters is skills.

ps. I have regular gl_picmip 0, gl_clear 0, etc quake
MysteryMan
plummets to its death

Post by MysteryMan »

Kurupt wrote:So now you gonna let them play a rematch cuz of your failure? Or you even gonna kick/ban him?

lol.. I never spoke anything about that so pls don't talk shit. It has never been my intention to let the match be replayed or kick/ban IBA from the league. The rules just ain't clear enough, like all the rest that sux.

MysteryMan
Founder of AQ2admins
Http://mysteryman.z0r.nl/aq2/
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

I think u need to calm down rallu... No need to say all euro players cheat.
goldblade
hit the ground hard, real hard

Post by goldblade »

Kurupt wrote:Try gl_clear on Boomtown. You will get kicked for using an illegal setting. Try to use gl_modulate 7 on Boomtown. You will get kicked. But what happens when you change your picmip? Exactly.. nothing. It's not restricted so everyone is allowed to change it to whatever they want...

Well maybe the server settings are wrong?
:D
Stim
sank like a rock

Post by Stim »

Haudrauf wrote:Finally teach people. I can't just blow gl_picmip out of the head, you know? :) Must I be dumb to play AQ2 "properly" so that i don't know of gl_picmip? Get the way right. Let others learn about it, but don't blame "more advanced players" to switch gl_picmip off, because most guys don't even now how to use it.. this is ridiculous./Hau

I've played the game for 5 years or so, no need to correct me, its an approximation. 5 years at the same game could be classed as a long time, so for arguments sake, I'd like to throw myself into that 'advanced' player category for a second there.

So I've learnt how to play the game, I know how the physics and everything of the game work and I'm enjoying it. I did not, however, know about picmip.

Assume picmip is completely legal and none of this lark had been thrown up in the air before. Picmip was known by everyone. Those who wished to use it could, and those that didnt, didnt.

Now, ask yourself this :

Would you personally use picmip 5?

I would answer no, here's my reasoning :

If you answered no, then you're the kind of person which plays the game for fun and doesnt need to change your settings to make the game more 'bland' just so you can see models easier. For all you may take the game seriously, you're not prepared to go that 'extra' length to get an advantage over everyone else.

If you answered yes, then you play the game purely to win. Fun only comes into the game for you when you win. Modifying and tweaking the game so you have the advantage over the opposition is the aim of the game.. surely nobody in the right mind can say that picmip 5 makes the game more attractive - you know this, but it doesnt bother you, because all that matters is teh win!

Of course there's the in between categories, but those seem to be the two main ones for those that would answer yes and no to those questions.
Gazz-
is connecting

Post by Gazz- »

I completley agree with Morpher. The way that quake2 works allow you to change pretty much anything todo with the game to help you like gl_mod, gl_clear, cl_pitchspeed etc ...

The only time these come to light is when like now other players find out what another player has been using and they deem it themself as an unfair advantage. Personaly setting gl_picmip to 5 and gl_playermip to whatever setting that was on is to gain an unfair advantage.

As the rules state:

Cheating is, but not limited to, the use of any "bot" or script which gives a player an unfair advantage over other players. Use of fullbright skins, hacked maps or spiked models is also illegal.

Now I suppose the arrgument here is what do you call an "unfair advantage", Im sure if IBA had said at the start of the game that'll he'll be using those settings then you could say it was fair as everyone else knew about the settings so its upto them to use it. But Im sure if that had of been the case C&C> would have refused to play with him using those settings even though they had the choice to change them.

I don't think the EAQL can be held responsible for not mentioning this certain setting in the rules its down to a players common sense I've known of the setting for years but have never used it maybe thats my own fault for not wanting to have a certain advantage over other players but like Stim says Ive been playing this game for about 5 years and I play for fun and have hardly changed anything in my Aq2 apart from sniper scope and hud everything else is plain standered Aq2 settings.

It's the players responsibilty to make sure he thinks his settings are ok, ask you self this if IBA didnt know of this setting and he found out everyone in C&C> were using it then Im sure he'd have something to say about it. Dont use a setting you would'nt like another player to use against you if you didnt know about it ... common sense.

If the EAQL are to be held responsible for not saying you can not use a certain picmip setting then they'd better go though every cvar which may prove advantage to another player, explain what the setting does and set a recommened allowed value or range for this value otherwise this problem will come up time and time again.
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

I don't think the EAQL can be held responsible for not mentioning this certain setting in the rules its down to a players common sense .

Yes they can held responsible for it. IBA had the same problem last Season and he changed his picmip. I find this this a bit weird, mysteryman head admin for 2 seasons, changed the picmip setting in the rules last season to max. 5 and now he thinks its still to much? Did he even bother to look at it with picmip 5 last season? No, i dont think so because if he did he would say: hey its still to much.

But Im sure if that had of been the case C&C> would have refused to play with him using those settings even though they had the choice to change them.
Oh come on, ur just reacting like this because u lost the game.

Now I suppose the arrgument here is what do you call an "unfair advantage
You guys were using TeamSpeak, dont u think thats an 'unfair advantage'?

If the EAQL are to be held responsible for not saying you can not use a certain picmip setting then they'd better go though every cvar which may prove advantage to another player, explain what the setting does and set a recommened allowed value or range for this value otherwise this problem will come up time and time again.
Yes i agree, but i guess this is gonna be hard job :) Every1 has different settings, some ppl have change their m_pitch thingy (has something to do with ur mouse movement i think) etc etc.

Anyway, stop attacking IBA, its not his fault. There are no 'clear' rules. Make them first and tell ppl about it, then whine alll about if u want.
hage
was flattened

Post by hage »

It's the players responsibilty to make sure he thinks his settings are ok, ask you self this if IBA didnt know of this setting and he found out everyone in C&C> were using it then Im sure he'd have something to say about it. Dont use a setting you would'nt like another player to use against you if you didnt know about it ... common sense.

Well gl_picmip 5 was allowed last season. So the player could think its normal. And you could also read the rules. Or have red the rules from last year. Since most of you played the eaql as well then. It even says that players should know the rules. If you see limiting of certain values arent you curious what they do in case you dont know their meaning?

Secondly i can remember rap3 having gl_modulates of -999, when the gl_modulate was limited on bw and the bwaqsl.