Client settings

Here you can look up the old topics of the ESAQL and the Nations Cup.

Moderator: Moderators

Repsaj
as long as it's salty..

Post by Repsaj »

Ok just to set thinghs straight I've been playing for like 3 years now and I know about picmip since last eaql season.

Now I must say I agree with Stim, about tweaking ur quake so far that u are only playing it to win. Ok I know we all dont play this game for its graphics, but tweaking it like this is just wrong, you could just take glowskins...

Further more I think it's bullshit when u say u can use ur knowledge to perform ur quake. Cause that means that everyone who knows how to make crouchscript (Me among others) or m4script could just make it and it would be legal just because one knows how to do it.

Just my 2 cents
Kurupt
:I

Post by Kurupt »

MysteryMan wrote:
lol.. I never spoke anything about that so pls don't talk shit. It has never been my intention to let the match be replayed or kick/ban IBA from the league. The rules just ain't clear enough, like all the rest that sux.

That's why I asked it. And it was C&C claiming a rematch, but thanks for clearing things up...
*hali*
fraki
joined the game

Post by fraki »

eaql allowed picmip 5 last season

ask miami
fraki
joined the game

Post by fraki »

KrapYl wrote:ok ok, the screenshots from last time was also playerskins changed.... i give u that den... but this time there is no skins... hell, he could have spikes & wallhack... maybe a little noosejob ? :P

if u think these playermodels are changed so u got the wrong models aint u? :P

and hell yeah the interesting thing of aq2 is to use the own weapons, the sniper is kinda cool thats why he is using it, if u play with a bright blue sniper like herminat0r did in bwaql it is getting a advantage, i cant get it every time the same discussions, and always such stupid ppl which cant get it that they dont know the game they play like u krapyl, study ur console small kid
fraki
joined the game

Post by fraki »

Repsaj wrote:Ok just to set thinghs straight I've been playing for like 3 years now and I know about picmip since last eaql season.

Now I must say I agree with Stim, about tweaking ur quake so far that u are only playing it to win. Ok I know we all dont play this game for its graphics, but tweaking it like this is just wrong, you could just take glowskins...

rofl rofl rofl just read it, u need much more knowledge to change a skin than just a simple console command, thats the difference, picmip is a part of quake2 and kind of a style like eating pommes with mayo and ketchup, all the ppl which r used to ketchup only are scared about the others.

the aq2 community does a backward step every week, always teh same discussions, no solutions, the same old ppl with control about the others cause they own some server and think they know everything, same with llsound 1, i said it causes lag, and no one cared, now there is something with picmip and everyone screams "cheater!". isnt it more a disadvantage (<- dumb word) playing with lag?

really, we have to think about it else it will be dead as fast as it can be
Steckz
plummets to its death

Post by Steckz »

First off, its not in the rules so there is no base where upon you can kick/ban this player.

[EXAMPLE]

Its just like giving a soccer player red because he is wearing contact lenses. He's wearing them because else he has problems seeing, IBA uses the settings to minimize the lag.

So in this case, if there are no rules applying to lenses you cant just give him red, because the other players think he might see more.

(mebbe not the best example but you catch my drift :P)

[EXAMPLE]

Secondly, it creates a blurry world that to my opinion doesnt makes you see the enemy's better. I play this game long enuff not to be distracted by textures, and if you are you could always lower your contrast or something like that to soften them(not recommendable :D).

The only solution to this problem is to optimize the rules.

To make the rules really clear so there is absolutly no doubt to everything that concerns cheating.

This is just my opinion :)

//EDIT

nice picture den!, you could create a cartoon :P

//EDIT
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
sHoRTie

Post by sHoRTie »

So my 5 Cents:

KrapYl:

U dont know what you are talking about.

Do you know how weapon models are used? NO

There are 2 kinds of weapon models. The 1 you see on the screenshot. and then there is a second one. this is the one used for the playermodelweapons and the for the weapon laying on the floor. and if u cant see the difference between the m4 and the ssg on the floor or on the player, then u need some really thick glasses :P

picmip:

i dont think that picmip gives you any advantage above your opponent. i have tried both and i keep playing with picmip 0 und playermip 0.

i also dont think that there should be any limitation than the one already given (5). also what is with the players that are used to picmip x because they had slow pcs for several years? get used to a different kind of visuals? no i dont think so.

and whats about cl_maxfps? isnt it an advantage if u can do the jumps over boxes if u have cl_maxfps 60 90 or 120 ? i call this an unfair advantage. if 1 has a slow connection he cant make maxfps 120 or 90 he lags of like hell for this settings. and cant play a match. so the ones that use it are cheaters? no they arent, but it is also unfair.

so to get to an end:

picmip's fine modulate's fine (btw. what is with voodoo players?:D) and maxfps's fine too

so long sHoRTie

cya on #akuh :D
Stim
sank like a rock

Post by Stim »

Den wrote:
But Im sure if that had of been the case C&C> would have refused to play with him using those settings even though they had the choice to change them.
Oh come on, ur just reacting like this because u lost the game.

I've taken a lot of batterings in my aq career and I've learnt to take losing at it comes to me. If someone does cheat, or doesnt regardless (not that I'm saying this is the case) then it usually puts me in the mode of 'hmmm, dont think I'll be playing them in the future.'

Now, people that blatently cheat and/or have been proved to cheat, I dont play. It's pretty simple really. Purely because I disagree with their intentions of spoiling the game. A game is for fun, so cliche... but these are my morales and I stick with them. I dont waste my time with people that do cheat.

Now the match vs. Quad, I didnt think that any of them cheated. None of them showed an exceptional difference between the rest of the clan and everyone pretty much played persistently, nobody was pulling off dodgy shots etc.

My point being - I dont take losing badly because I dont take the game seriously enough to care - you dont see me going round servers screaming out loud because I dont win. I do care however, about how much people go out of their way to spoil it for others. Regardless of what you can say, I tried picmip 5 last night and its amazing how much the textures no longer catch your eyes. This gives you the advantage. It could be classed as a cheat, I guess.. due to the fact that you are literally going out of your way to give yourself a 'leg-up' the winning step ladder... I'm not arguing that point, so no need to correct me.

We lost, I dont doubt that. We were outplayed on Cloud. Truth of it is, had I have known that this was being used at the time - I wouldnt have played. I don't waste my time with people that have to do this sort of thing to 'enhance' their gameplay.
Last edited by Stim on Fri Sep 19, 2003 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stim
sank like a rock

Post by Stim »

hage wrote:Secondly i can remember rap3 having gl_modulates of -999, when the gl_modulate was limited on bw and the bwaqsl.

Never cease to amaze me. The amount of people we touched throughout the aq community seems to have reached an all time high.

I dont even know what a negative value of gl_modulate does. Gl_modulate has, however... been limited for a long long time. So bringing up old arguments really doesnt help anything here. Seen as we're onto exaggerations here, -999 gl_modulate would probably not be used as the amount of radiation your monitor would throw out would be enough to burn your shadow into the wall behind you.
Stim
sank like a rock

Post by Stim »

sHoRTie wrote:...and whats about cl_maxfps? isnt it an advantage if u can do the jumps over boxes if u have cl_maxfps 60 90 or 120 ? i call this an unfair advantage. if 1 has a slow connection he cant make maxfps 120 or 90 he lags of like hell for this settings. and cant play a match. so the ones that use it are cheaters? no they arent, but it is also unfair.

Having decent hardware and the ability to utilise the graphics which the game was provided with isn't cheating. You could argue all day that still being on 56k is at a great disadvantage - true, it is. There's a difference between things that can be helped and things that can't though.

Having a faster machine and connection are things which you dont necessarily have to go out of your way to have. When you first install Quake 2, Quake 2 provides you with default settings.. you can choose to utilise your new hardware. Quake 2 was made with textures so that people could appreciate the graphics (at the time maybe) and so this is the way the game was meant to be played.

There's a very thin line between the settings that come with the game and changing those settings to give yourself an advantage... but picmip 5 has cleared that line by a long shot.

Aside from these facts, 25 people of the poll so far think this is abnormal.. 17 people think it should be disallowed. That's a pretty big margin of votes.
sHoRTie

Post by sHoRTie »

oh i havent voted yet, because there isnt an option no i dont use it but i dont think it should be dissallowed
MysteryMan
plummets to its death

Post by MysteryMan »

Den wrote:Yes they can held responsible for it. IBA had the same problem last Season and he changed his picmip. I find this this a bit weird, mysteryman head admin for 2 seasons, changed the picmip setting in the rules last season to max. 5 and now he thinks its still to much? Did he even bother to look at it with picmip 5 last season? No, i dont think so because if he did he would say: hey its still to much.

Sure.. like i had anything to say about that. I thought picmip 5 was too high already last season. But due to some admins of the same country they didn't want to put it lower, or they would withdraw from the league (how sad).

The settings are ment to tune the viewings and not to rape it like it was here. It would be impossible to handle all the console settings, and I honestly think it is sad people don't understand the difference between adjusting your viewings or tweaking it like hell.....
MysteryMan
Founder of AQ2admins
Http://mysteryman.z0r.nl/aq2/
Haudrauf
tripped on its own grenade

Post by Haudrauf »

Nobody of us cheats.

BTW, nobody asked IBA what his intention really was, with having picmip of 5. It's still fun to see what other people suppose about IBAs intentions.

And it still looks like you all (with some exceptions) never had the thoughts of a picmip player. And since the picmip players look like a minority here, do your own rules and leave us/me/IBA alone.

Get some more real cheaters and don't waste your time on this topic.
ImageOwner of http://aq2maps.quadaver.org
Not part of #aq2admins for a reason.
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

sHoRTie wrote:oh i havent voted yet, because there isnt an option no i dont use it but i dont think it should be dissallowed
I aint voted. I don't care. Let him play with a shit looking AQ2, it's not the difference between a win and a loss...
I don't give a shit.
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

Sure.. like i had anything to say about that. I thought picmip 5 was too high already last season. But due to some admins of the same country they didn't want to put it lower, or they would withdraw from the league (how sad).

Ok mayby diddnt have nething to say last season, but what about this season? or did u forget.

What about our first game vs AiD? or diddnt u or any other admin look at the screens? I wasnt there.

IBA and i made some screens today with what u lot call 'tweaking it like hell' picmip. The first screen does have normal settings, the second image has the 'yawn' picmip settings to the max.

To be honest the skin on the 'normal' screen is much easier to see then the skin on the screen with the picmip settings. Look at the screens, vote and shut up about it.

I aint voted. I don't care. Let him play with a shit looking AQ2, it's not the difference between a win and a loss...
Thank You

Anyway this discussion is going nowhere. :? I guess the 'frkq2 whine' is gone and 'we' are looking for a new item to whine about. Admins sort ur rules out. Do ur stuff and look for the 'real' cheaters and dont waste ur time on this 'so' stupid thing.

One final note: Not all Quad ppl have this, so far i know only IBA does, and i dont give a fuck if he wants to play with this ugly lookin aq or not.
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know