Aq2 live or die??

The place to discuss your client and server issues, or to post your client and server related problems. Now with added Anticheat flavour.

Moderator: Moderators

Sulfate
sank like a rock

Post by Sulfate »

AMEN!
Nobody Likes Us We Dont Care!
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

Monk wrote:AQ2 World is a pretty good URL. It's got a decent set of forums. It needs more updated news and probably updated content. If you guys are willing to host AQ2 projects, that can be a great strength for concentrating AQ2 knowledge and variants. The main problem would be to publicize the site to various other AQ2 messageboards and forums.
We are allready hosting a few aq2 projects and are always looking for more.
Monk wrote:Honestly, AQ2 World seems to be the most logical place, if the people who host it will keep it around a while and if they are able to get more content and more updates.
I will keep it around yes but what content do you want exactly? there's hardly any news or people that want to help.
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
Kurupt
:I

Post by Kurupt »

Some guys already tried to resurrect the AQMD and the AQ2 Guild somehow.

Map Warehouse: http://aq2mw.wh00s.net/
Action Gear: http://marlporo.pp.fi/aq2/
*hali*
emperphis
blew itself up

Post by emperphis »

Monk wrote:... alot
Single point of distribution is happening fortunatly. Everything seems to be interconnected to aq2world and if not, it is slowly becoming. You made me realise of one more we could had! :)

Maps: http://aqmd.telefragged.com/ is so dead now :( as far as i see for the staff if they aren't as well, they don't care much for the project as almoust all of them say "retired" in the staff page. (as i was writing kurupt posted what i was to post here, enuf said). The only thing i'm trying to achieve, considering maps, is to have an http download location for r1q2 based servers to have the hability to download every content at high speeds when client connects to a server and lacking files. This location should be somewhere central europe with a high speed connection but i failed to get this. Any ideas from anyone that knows where this can be arranged, I'll be happy to maintain it having a support team! By then servers would need just to redirect downloading drom engines directly to that site. Every needed file would be able to download. Of course this means about 2GBs of space at 100mbps. Talked to R1CH about this and even 32bit textures would be included for download if the client has cvar set to do it.

Random stuff: yes, it's .flg files. I'll be glad to give them to anyone to host and very happy if i see them bundled on TNG, ETE and TNG Maniac's package for download. I say this because the server pack for TNG has some included. So this would be the correct form of distribution. ETE is up to you, TNG i can have a word with Igor or Slicer, Maniac... well he's easy to contact.

Q2v: although i feel quite reluctant if anyone would vote for that if it's the case, I maintain voteconfig servers based on TNG and it's always on one mode, sniper wars, having to chose from darkmatch (night and daycycle), ctf, dm, 3 teams, soccer, tourney, TDM... There are servers running specificly other variants of the mod and they are just not used.. that's the reallity. I'd implement that gladly onto this voting server even knowing it will be used on a sporadic way, if ever.

Installer: i'm so up to this but find a coder that is up to the job and is jovial enuf to socialize and discuss nem implementations with a good point of view, it's very hard to find. Professionals on this subject tend to lack socialization capabilites *sigh*

Anyway thanks for the appreciation of the work i've started, your words made me continue this to the end, a bit faster! :)

Den wrote:I will keep it around yes but what content do you want exactly? there's hardly any news or people that want to help.
I was expecting for the UAC lan to be news, as it seems, it's an attepmt to be an international aq2 lan ;)
Beavis has prompted me for interview last year regarding the anticheat checkings stric and I have come to build for the last months, still waiting his contact ;)
TATM hasn't suffered any modifications since october?
If you lack people to do this, post a recruit staff attempt for the purpose and i believe you'll achieve some good results (and bad) from this... there's a lot of potential on people we don't know or simply not aware.
I've god as my lollipop
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

I've asked so many times and got lil to no reactions but ill try again when i get some things sorted on my end.

(if you're interested then you know where to go;))
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
fuct
is full of buckshot

Post by fuct »

This yank is really starting to grow on me. In fact I might even go so far as to say we need more like this one.
Sovnig
blew itself up

Post by Sovnig »

Den wrote: I will keep it around yes but what content do you want exactly? there's hardly any news or people that want to help.
I'll help, don't have school 'till september :D
A good discussion is like a miniskirt; long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to pertain interest
//Splinter
Monk
plummets to its death

Post by Monk »

Ok. How about this post I tackle web stuff.

So to reiterate again, single point of distribution. What makes more sense to you?

http://www.aq2world.com/ - community info/forums
http://marlporo.pp.fi/aq2/ - replacement players/models
http://aq2mw.wh00s.net/ - maps

Ooorrrr...

http://www.aq2world.com/ - community info/forums
http://gear.aq2world.com/ - replacement players/models
http://maps.aq2world.com/ - maps

And from the main AQ2World site and from the "main" sites, make a common set of graphics or header or something. For example, look at the old:

http://action.telefragged.com/

Down at the bottom. You've got the main meat of the mod, right there. Maps, Guild. You go to the AQMD, it's got Guild and main AQ2 site. If the Guild were not dead, I believe you'd see the same thing.

To be a good starting point, a good community portal, you need to provide some easy access. When I go to AQ2World, dangit, I should be able to find out where to find maps and stuff. I mean, it's right there in the name. AQ2World. World of AQ2! How can it have Maniac's and Patman's stuff hosted, but no link to maps or replacement stuff. I can find more content by going to:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=aq2+map+download

Now I'm not saying AQ2World should host anything. Just set up a subdomain to point to those websites. Back in the day, there used to be a domain called action-web.net. So they had:

action.action-web.net = action.telefragged.com
aq2.action-web.net = action.telefragged.com
aqmd.action-web.net = aqmd.telefragged.com
guild.action-web.net = guild.telefragged.com
www.action-web.net = www.ateamproductions.com (I think, it's been a while)

So I'm thinking you can point subdomains to other websites/IPs. But hey, not 100% certain. Even if not, if you had to host the stuff, it shouldn't be a problem. Hosting the websites, that is. Hosting the FILES is something else entirely.

If AQMD is still alive enough to have ftp access, and I'll check into that, you could host the site at one place and host the FILES back at telefragged. Now, maybe they won't be too happy about that, but what the hey. You could also wipe out the current AQMD website and replace it with the Map Warehouse site so it looks active. Again, I'd have to check into that a bit more.

I think the main layout of AQ2World could use some re-arranging, maybe. You have a bunch of content there but it seems somewhat daunting.

I love this: http://www.aq2world.com/?p=servers

Is there any way to get something to query the master gamespy servers, perhaps, instead? So you can find all servers instead of those just pointing to a specific master server?

A new AQ2 release for the masses would also help if server ops upgrade a bit. If you give them a compelling reason to upgrade. Just have the updated master servers listed in the default config and that'd help populate the server list.

-----------------

Ok, I could go on into some more specifics, but you get the idea. It's not just about having a map site here or a player site there, it's about presentation and accessibility. When I think to myself, "I saw a neat screenshot of a guy using a different MP5/10, I want to try that for myself!" I do not think, "golly, I bet I can find that at http://marlporo.pp.fi/aq2/ !"

It's non-intuitive. You have to approach this kind of thing not necessarily as an AQ2 player or AQ2 fan. You instinctively KNOW this kind of stuff or where to go to find it. N00bles the new player doesn't know shit. He found AQ2World somehow (I don't know how since you can't find it from Google searching "aq2" or "action quake 2") and is not sure where to start, where to go to get stuff. AQ2World has the info he needs but it is spread out and directs to different places.

As a semi-related note, if you've not done so yet, look into using sitemaps and submitting them to Google and Yahoo (you'll have to make an account to do it, though).

http://www.sitemaps.org/

And then hit up http://www.google.com/search?q=action+quake+2&hl=en and see what you can do about publicizing your site. BTW, good to see y'all made it to the AQ2 Wiki.

--------

Lest it get lost in the yapping above, Den, if you're the main man of AQ2World, I want to give you a big thumbs up! The site has great content, I mean, a server listing and an AQ2 message network? Dizzang! Whatever critiques I may have, I want to emphatically state that what you've done for the AQ2 community is tremendous and you should feel good about what you've done. Not that you really need any validation from me, but I just wanted to say thanks for the work you've done.
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

When I first started on this site, I think we all had this idea of central point for all things AQ2. I think the reason there are so many branches of other sites is because of people's egos. For one reason or another, they do not want to help or be part of the AQ2World site. Until we can get a (our) team back together, people who are able to contribute to the site in any way, the web side of things is going to be quiet. People are fed up of the game, people have grown up and gotten jobs, people have found out that real life is more fun. There are loads of reasons why this won't work in the near future.

Meanwhile, over at the game side of things, I think there is only one active project - the anticheat thing, and even with that people don't seem overly enthusiastic about it. Besides, the game is shit. Half the players are shit heads. Tell me how to fix that.
I don't give a shit.
emperphis
blew itself up

Post by emperphis »

One way to fix that would be to deny that over pessimist/hatred you have towards the game and having an admin(???) saying that just break my heart. Needless to say that you don't have any passion for the game. I've seen people coming people going, some return some don't. Most of all I think you'r just so out of the scene that you really don't give a damn about things get ever to work up in the end.
I've read that pessimism in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 and now 2007 so that proves you wrong because there are still people on the game and projects undergoing.
And the rule is very simple, or you like it or not. You proved not to like it so I think wtf are you still doing among us?
Until the last man stands, projects will go on. Anticheat, J^mod, APR, EGL, R1Q2, TNG, Q2PRO, q2admin, irc scripting, individual projects for everything you might think someone will make a use of even if it just for you when you happen to love the game.

Monk: Thank you for your ideas, den as proven to be the most receptive / efficient person on that matter. As a quick result, anticheat.aq2world.com has been created and will be up this weekend. More to come if everything goes ok :)
I've god as my lollipop
fuct
is full of buckshot

Post by fuct »

Unfortunately I pretty much share Clown's opinion on this one. I have learned from first hand experience what a bunch of cunts the people in this community are. Finding the motivation to do anything around here is next to impossible because anything that is done its so under appreciated and most of the ~20 year olds act like 10 year olds. There is nothing more I would like than to see this game become what it really should be, what it was, because it is in fact the best online fps ever made but I just dont ever see it happening.
emu
Syndrome of a Down

Post by emu »

fuct wrote:Unfortunately I pretty much share Clown's opinion on this one. I have learned from first hand experience what a bunch of cunts the people in this community are. Finding the motivation to do anything around here is next to impossible because anything that is done its so under appreciated and most of the ~20 year olds act like 10 year olds. There is nothing more I would like than to see this game become what it really should be, what it was, because it is in fact the best online fps ever made but I just dont ever see it happening.
I highlighted this because its true. People in this community will bitch at anything that isn't done they way they like. No matter how much time you put into things, people will complain and bitch instead of find a solution how to fix it, or contribute to it.

Its sad and I think thats the main reason why the scene is dying.
Call me your valentine call me once tonight
BeAViS
ittssaaa marrrioooo!

Post by BeAViS »

emperphis wrote:pessimist
pessimism never comes without a reason. when i started my community-work, i was full of will to do... even tryed to start a tournament which was a great idea (HC tropy, 1vs1), but ppl fucked it up (sign in and then dont play matches).
that switched me a bit of, and i decided i wont do anything more for the community BUT, since im a well known stupid, i agreed to be a TATM writer/storyteller/interviewer.well, tatm is a good habitat: its funny to talk with beavisss and the irony of emu. mainly, i do interviews, which is very funny because i can tell shit about this and that with ppl. actually tatm is pretty stuck (interview for next tatm is ready, emperphis one is for next-next one and we will do it when it will be needed :wink: ).
when i joined tatm, even emu janner and saivzaohhah did. emu is still in, janner and saivzhazhh (how the hell that name written is?) were kicked because of inactivity. actually, i really think ppl in the community need to stop fucking it up, but i dont think that is going to happen. clown and fuct (edit: and emu) are quite right...
sadly.
- Killing today in old fashioned way -
- Beware of Beavers -
- :mario: -
emperphis
blew itself up

Post by emperphis »

Stupid shity people have always been present in the game and in fact in any game. There's no denial and you start to become more aware of this as the community shrinks. Anyway I don't find it any reason to drop doing things I feel right to do even if it's just for 1 out of 100 in the group. I don't care, I like and enjoy a lot doing it! People do demoralize a lot, I demoralized reading the absolute negative feedback in this post but that will be no reason for me to drop any undergoing and future project I have (sorry to inform guys).
I've god as my lollipop
BeAViS
ittssaaa marrrioooo!

Post by BeAViS »

emperphis wrote:will be no reason for me to drop any undergoing and future project I have (sorry to inform guys).
give them time...
:wink:
- Killing today in old fashioned way -
- Beware of Beavers -
- :mario: -