Industrial Rumble [NEW MAP]

Forum for all new beta and released maps!

Moderators: Moderators, Mappers

NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Industrial Rumble [NEW MAP]

Post by NRGizeR »

Finally, after about half a year of on and off mapping, it's done!

The description, screenshots and .zip can be found on my homepage: http://www.nrgizer.com/maps.php?m=industrial

Comments are very welcome! Oh, and most of the textures that I made myself are in .jpg format (as well as .wal of course). I don't remember how r1q2 handles .jpgs nowadays, but at least aprq2 does a great job with them, and they keep down the .zip size as well :tup: :)

[UPDATE]http://forums.aq2world.com/viewtopic.php?t=3079[/UPDATE] :( Sorry about that...

Enjoy!
-NRG
Last edited by NRGizeR on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
bail
should have used a smaller gun

Post by bail »

its a really nice looking map, at first, i thought it was odd that there were no access to the roofs, but after some circles around the map i dont think its necessary, i think it would only decreas the playability in cws, camping etc.
anyhow it looks good and i would like to test it 3on3+
cause afterall its the playability we are looking for in the end.
bail{UNi}
.UncycleD
hit the ground hard, real hard

Post by .UncycleD »

Look closer, there is some access to the roofs.

This looks like a great map, one that might actually get played in public servers.
#4056 in z0r.nl
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

I said this on aq2suomi's forum as well: I had a really hard time deciding whether to allow access to all the roofs or not. As it is now you can get up on four "roofs" (some of them are a matter of definition :) ), and I decided against opening up the other ones after the last playtest. At least there the map played well, and most areas were used. This usually changes over time, as people starts knowing the map a little bit better, but at least now ti looks good.

Opening up the other roofs would have made the map alot bigger, and also increased the number of routes (which actually makes the map even bigger than just the extra roof areas), which would have made it slower and more easily campable.

Hopefully I made the right choice... :)
bail

Post by bail »

.UncycleD wrote:Look closer, there is some access to the roofs.

This looks like a great map, one that might actually get played in public servers.
yes i know but i was talking about the major roofs...
bail{UNi}
Chris
sank like a rock

Post by Chris »

all these new maps got something in common.. guess what?
people disconnect..

everytime at public servers it's the same deal, a "new" map starts..
"VOTE CLOUD or Cliff2"
i feel sorry for your effort. :(
On the other hand, the maps looks quite fast, what I like.
To bad it's the wrong game. :(
[21:18:39] [DEAD] 7.Sir_vive: YOUR SO COOL CHRIS !!!!
fuct
is full of buckshot

Post by fuct »

I really wish i had the desire to download this and try it because your maps usually turn out fantastic nrg. Chris, im pretty sure at this stage the mappers already know this and mostly just make maps for their own satisfaction.
S3ci0r
tried to put the pin back in

Post by S3ci0r »

hot map :!:
WizardExt
In-game Name: WizardExt
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder

Post by WizardExt »

Just as I wrote in the preview-post I think the map looks great. Just as I imagined it would be, it turned out to be...in most cases. Ofcourse there are always disagrees.

The theme of the map is interesting for sure. It's been done before, but it's one of those themes that still feels fresh and new. I often see just two kinds of maps; city and jungle. WetWired went his own way and never did any of those..

I like how you use the textures, the amount of detail in your brushwork and the layout screams PLAY ME! I think it will do amazing in both DM and TP. I just hope it will be appreciated. New maps are often avoided by the players.

Some of the less good stuff would be the rspeeds. A bit high throughout the map. There are some areas that aren't clipped, so the player could easily get stuck and die. And locking roofs is not a downside, it's just an issue that will have to be accepted by the players. I must say I was a bit dissapointed finding two jumps that couldn't be completed due to locked roofs. :) But you decide how you want the map. I agree that the map would slow down a lot opening all the roofs.

It's really great to have you back. I like this map, I hope to play it on the publics and learn it inside and out. I already found a couple of favorite spots...one of those are under the stairs outside. :)
dudemcpek
had its throat slit

Post by dudemcpek »

Earlier we played at golar.net and it's really great. Seems like a perfect public map, and would work in a clanwar too since you can rush nicely :P
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

WizardExt wrote:Some of the less good stuff would be the rspeeds. A bit high throughout the map.
r_speeds, that's affirmative. I was a bit worried about this as well, but at the end of the day I wanted to keep the stuff that I had, and the layout is pretty good at blocking off most of the eyecandy from the different areas. There is one spot (the workshop roof) that go over 3000, but in all other places they keep below 2300, and mostly under 2000 (afaik). This is a number that is no problem for any computer newer than 6 years. Also even though this r_speeds number could cause network problems on open maps the layout, again, should make sure that there won't be overflow problems. (rooftops for example have a overflow problem on certain servers from the changing room corner of the pool, and that's only about 1750 r_speeds). Basically I just noticed that less and less mappers care that much about r_speeds below 3000, and no players really seem to mind, so I just thought "what the heck" :P
WizardExt wrote:There are some areas that aren't clipped, so the player could easily get stuck and die.
Yeah, a friend showed that to me just after the release.. I guess you're talking about that double chimney area? Or are there others as well? I couldn't get stuck so that I died in that spot, I don't know why because my friend died almost instantly :) Guess it could have to do with maxfps/maxpackets settings?
WizardExt wrote:I must say I was a bit dissapointed finding two jumps that couldn't be completed due to locked roofs. :) But you decide how you want the map. I agree that the map would slow down a lot opening all the roofs.
Were those jumps that would have ended on one of the blocked roofs, or just jumping via one of the blocked roofs? I tried to keep all the jumps that I saw intact, but I'm really not the greatest jumper in the world, so it could very well be that I missed some :?
WizardExt wrote:It's really great to have you back. I like this map, I hope to play it on the publics and learn it inside and out. I already found a couple of favorite spots...one of those are under the stairs outside. :)
Oh I was never gone, just more busy than usual :) I really hope that it will get played too, it was a blast playing against matic and the gang last night, although I'm paying for it today at work because of lost sleep :) It seems to be quite quick to move around your opponent as well, because I constantly got shot in the back while trying to kill the mofo infront of me :)

Thank you all for the nice comments :). I know that there will never be a map that everyone likes, and that you cannot catch all the bugs/problems in a map when released like this without a longer beta testing phase. That's one of the problems in the aq2 community really, once a map is released, it's released, there's no going back. Oh well, hopefully there won't be any bigger bugs discovered in the general industrial area :)

Again, thanks all!

Over and out.
-NRG
Last edited by NRGizeR on Mon Apr 02, 2007 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mutu
loses a vital chest organ

Post by Mutu »

gj!
· Catch-Gamer.no AQ2admin
bail

Post by bail »

Chris wrote:all these new maps got something in common.. guess what?
people disconnect..

everytime at public servers it's the same deal, a "new" map starts..
"VOTE CLOUD or Cliff2"
i feel sorry for your effort. :(
On the other hand, the maps looks quite fast, what I like.
To bad it's the wrong game. :(
thats not all true, tbh there is more "old" sucky maps in map rotation than new ones.. ofcourse all maps cant be appreciated but if 3 of 10 new maps being played i think its alright.
just because a map is new doesnt mean its a good map...
bail{UNi}
angra
feels some chest pain

Post by angra »

realy nice map, hope it comes up soon on a public server. (CG?!)
}i{ angra - #clan.illusion
Total minutes of aq2
2005: 20 716
2006: 10 405
WizardExt
In-game Name: WizardExt
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder

Post by WizardExt »

NRGizeR wrote:Basically I just noticed that less and less mappers care that much about r_speeds below 3000, and no players really seem to mind, so I just thought "what the heck" :P
You are absolutely right about the rspeeds. You should create the map you set out to do and afterwards try to decrease the rspeeds as good as you can. Otherwise you end up with a complete different map. Rspeeds are
just values today..so I have to agree on the "what the heck" comment. :)
WizardExt wrote:There are some areas that aren't clipped, so the player could easily get stuck and die.
I use maxfps 60 and got stuck and died between the large silos and also the rusty barrels. There were also some areas where you could have clipped to make the player progression a bit more smooth.

But don't take this feedback negative. It's not a disaster..
WizardExt wrote:I must say I was a bit dissapointed finding two jumps that couldn't be completed due to locked roofs. :) But you decide how you want the map. I agree that the map would slow down a lot opening all the roofs.
On the L-shaped roof I found numerous ways to access the NRG-silo roof, only to find it locked. :) And on the ground, by the blue container I managed to jump up to the sign on the outside wall high up. From the sign you are very close to the roof, but can't access since it's locked.

Overall it's a really interesting map. And I always find projects that stretch over several months to be far more interesting than the short ones. Mainly because the map becomes more of a relationship than the short one. There is more time to think about the project, even though you don't have the time to build on it, you keep thinking about it and when you find the time you know exactly what you want. And after its release you can think back on it in a different way and often be more proud of it.

I wish you would showed us it earlier. I felt that the preview came very close to the release, a bit too close. You even stated in the preview post that you didn't wanted too much input from the public since you had already change the map a couple of times. :)