Industrial Rumble [MAP UPDATE] :(

Forum for all new beta and released maps!

Moderators: Moderators, Mappers

NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Industrial Rumble [MAP UPDATE] :(

Post by NRGizeR »

Well crap. I played industrial in a CW last night (for about the fourth time I might add) and I noticed some weird slowdowns, so I decided to put my r_speeds on, and I noticed that they were substancially higher than I remembered. So I did some digging and as it turned out I had fucked up and compiled a slightly old version of the map that didn't contain all the hint brushes that I've added :(

This is a fixed version (I've also fixed the get-stuck-and-die places that wiz was talking about) which has about 25% lower r_speeds, and should behave better on the online servers...

Sorry for this mess, I really didn't want to update an already released map, but since it hadn't hit any of the map repositories yet, I thought it was better to release a "good" version rather than have people not play it because of too much lag.

Shots: http://www.nrgizer.com/maps.php?m=industrial
Full version: http://www.nrgizer.com/maps/industrial.zip
Lite version (no 32-bit textures): http://www.nrgizer/maps/industrial_lite.zip

The lite version is enough if you already have the map as the textures haven't been changed.

Sorry again for the fuckup on my part,
-NRG
Last edited by NRGizeR on Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
WizardExt
tried to put the pin back in
In-game Name: WizardExt
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder

Post by WizardExt »

downloaded and installed. the rspeeds is lowered a lot and down to acceptable values throughout the map. i couldn't get stuck in any barrels or silos this time. good job!

the map looks great on my laptop too... :)
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Good :) I guess this will cause some confusion as to what map vesion is the right one in the coming week or so, but imo a little confusion is better than having two maps in permanent circulation that is basically the same, just with different r_speeds and clips... I just know that this would have bugged me if I hadn't fixed it now that I noticed it.

It was pretty funny though, that on the day of the release Vermin asked in aq2suomi if "I had used hintbrushes at all?!" and I was almost offended because I thought I had done a pretty good job decreasing the r_speeds :P . Can't understand how I managed to miss this... I should have learnt by now that you should always, ALWAYS double and tripple check a .bsp before a release... Oh well, the week of playtesting and the half-week of public release hasn't uncovered any bugs that are still in the map, so I'm feeling pretty good about this map now :)

-NRG
MDVz0r
is connecting

Post by MDVz0r »

Great map man! :)
creater of z0rbot - #z0r.nl - http://www.z0r.nl/
WizardExt
tried to put the pin back in
In-game Name: WizardExt
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder

Post by WizardExt »

I haven't had the best experience with hint brushes. In some cases they do a lot worse then actually helping out. The time it takes to create them and try them out can be very time consuming.

Easiest way to use hint brushes is to plan the map carefully. Know how the map will look and where you are going to add them.

Anyway, I hope people notice this post, so the bsp versions are the same almost everywhere. Hopefully you aim the download link to the same correct file in both posts.
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Actually radiant has a brilliant plugin when it comes to placing hint brushes. prtviewer. It shows all the portals that qbsp3 generates, and then you can just place hint brushes in the places where there "should" be a portal, but there is not. Also use hints to split up larger "portal boxes", pure gold.

About the map, I've removed the old version from the interweb altogether. I just have a local copy on my computer, so the link is still the same, but the file has changed...
stan0x
killed itself
In-game Name: stan0x
Operating System: Windows 7, linux
Processor model/speed: i7 2600K
Memory: 16GB DRR3
Hard drive: 1 x 240GB SSD 5 x 2 TB
Graphics card: GTX470
Monitor: LG
Mouse: MX
Keyboard: Steelseries G7

Post by stan0x »

nice move.

keep it comming ! :attack: :attack: :attack: :attack:
#clan.fubar #narf #heks #aq2world
emperphis
blew itself up

Post by emperphis »

great map!
on NFSi and WP's rotation/votelist.
I've god as my lollipop
bliz
A FOOOOOOOOO!!!

Post by bliz »

One of the greatest 'new' maps I've seen so far, luvin' it NRGizer - counts for many fast rounds in cw's :)
R.I.P. Double Negative 2005-2008