Who is(are) the creator(s) of the Mod Action for Quake 2?

The general catch-all forum for Action Quake2 related discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

ved
plummets to its death

Who is(are) the creator(s) of the Mod Action for Quake 2?

Post by ved »

Topic says it all :)
I’m the law and you can’t beat the law!
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

A-Team
Stric
needs some Pepto Bismol

Post by Stric »

A-Team made aq1 aq2 ahl. They are called also as daddies of Counter-strike because one or two of them went making CS. Something like that.
^stric^
minchiano
bleeds to death

Post by minchiano »

Looked for the timeline of AQ2 but came up with dead links in google.

What I recall offhand. In short (and I mean it):

* A-Team made a whole bunch of Q2 mod betas called AQ2.

* A-Team grew restless with the inadequate engine and moved on to the HL engine.

* Clan Geno re-did / re-wrote it to what you're now familiarized with.

* Peeps like Maniac and R1ch made good clients for it.

And it's going, and it's going, and it's going...

Search in this site for the author Black Monk. He's also known as the walking, talking AQ2 library.
Monk
plummets to its death

Post by Monk »

Flattery will get you everwhere!

Here's some reference: http://action.telefragged.com/oldnews.htm

The timelines are not available at the moment. I need to get off my butt and see if aq2world would like to host the old AQDT site for reference and downloading.

Anyway, minchiano has it mostly right.

ATeam made some Q2 mod named AQ2, many betas, teamplay added LATER, lotta bugs.

Around version 1.0c or so, HL came out and they wanted to move to HL and make AHL. They didn't like how strafejumping started making the game not how they envisioned it. So it kind of got abandoned. They had someone working on a 1.1 version that never got released. At the same time, people from clan [GENO] got tired of the bugs and reverse-engineered AQ2. They called it Axshun Quake 2.

They also started dinking with the weapon balance a bit, too, since it was the only actively maintained bit of AQ2. A-Team and GENO had a bit of a schism in the community, then worked things out. GENO's code became AQ2 1.5, 1.51, 1.52, and the unreleased 1.53. GENO did the work under the direction of the A-Team members, and also released the code. That's why there are so many variants of AQ2.

The first real variant was AQ:PG BUND's Edition. I think he was a German and added those damned .WAV playback commands for players. This is the most-used branch where AQ:TNG came from, basically. AQ:ETE, on the other hand, came from the "pure" 1.52 branch.

By that time GENO moved on and A-Team was working on AHL so the community did whatever. Once Q2 was GPL'ed people wanted a standalone AQ2 version. I guess some people made them. Always the problem was that all the AQ2 maps used baseq2 media so you could never have a true "standalone" AQ2 unless someone replaced all the baseq2 textures. There used to be some projects (Q2 Evolution?) with texture replacement as part of the project, but I am not aware they ever came to fruition.

The main guy who did CS worked on AQ2 for a bit and before that did Navy Seals Quake 1, probably the first "realism" mod. AQ2 was the first realism mod that was massively popular as a genre. One of the guys who ran the old Action Quake Map Depot, CLIFFE, also worked on CS with that guy. I forget his name. Minh something.

The only remaining active member of the A-Team is Ace12GA over on the www.aq2zone.com forums. Suislide is still around but he is adamant about never developing or improving AQ2 or updating the website, so he's pretty much worthless. A-Team went on to release Action Unreal Tournament and AUT2K4 as well. Almost had a deal with Epic to make a game, but it fell through. Ah well.

I can go into more detail, certainly, but that's just a random rundown for you. AQ2 morphed into something most of the original creators did not like due to the bunnyhopping strafejumpers. However, it's that aspect, the speed of the game, that actually made it massively popular. Ironic.
arild
loses a vital chest organ

Post by arild »

word
Hapid00!!
WizardExt
tried to put the pin back in
In-game Name: WizardExt
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder

Post by WizardExt »

Thanks for the information Monk. Some of the things you mention I had no idea about, good to have a more in-depth story.
Lotus
killed itself
In-game Name: kk'lok
Mouse: diamondback

Post by Lotus »

cool to know
I pleasure myself, everyday.
>kk'lok
Caracol
was picked off

Post by Caracol »

Indeed, very good info there.
But I really thank that link to those boards, I even found these clips of a LAN Party like 7 years ago. Enjoy:

AQ LAN Party 1 (2, 3, 4 and 5 in the right tab).
The one having a bite of sugar is Ace12GA. More info about the videos in www.aq2zone.com , I had a really nice read some nights ago.
Ne quid nimis.