... batman is just visiting, see [NEW MAP]

Forum for all new beta and released maps!

Moderators: Moderators, Mappers

sanity
was in the wrong place

... batman is just visiting, see [NEW MAP]

Post by sanity »

dot.bsp by varrg

aq2mw
download

stan0x
killed itself
In-game Name: stan0x
Operating System: Windows 7, linux
Processor model/speed: i7 2600K
Memory: 16GB DRR3
Hard drive: 1 x 240GB SSD 5 x 2 TB
Graphics card: GTX470
Monitor: LG
Mouse: MX
Keyboard: Steelseries G7

Post by stan0x »

nice job m8 !

keep up the good work !
#clan.fubar #narf #heks #aq2world
Thr
is connecting

Post by Thr »

Ye, it really looks nice. Gr8 job!
[G]Thhrr
WizardExt
tried to put the pin back in
In-game Name: WizardExt
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder

Post by WizardExt »

I like the map. It was smaller than I expected, I guess the screenshots made another impression. It's a fast map and thanks to all the objects and ledges there are always a lot of options. Your best map according to me.

What I don't like about it, are several things. All the tags throughout the map, saying different names and sentences, are way too many. If you would have one or two it would be more unique and interesting. Now it's more of a spam, like your friends were telling you "Please let me be in your map!".

One thing that instantly bothered me was the lighting. It's a dark sky, but the map displays a sunset setting. I would rather see a night setting similar to urban2 with its blue lighting. Or just white light with a small tint of blue. :)

While playing the map I also managed to get stuck and die near the garage section. The one that you can't access. Didn't really bother me that much, but I was suprised since I wasn't trying to die. Did you test your map for such evil errors?

I like the combination of outdoor and indoor. Very interesting to play in a map with such variation. There are many indoor areas which are locked, diplayed only as eye-candy. I like this, but I think you use it a little bit too much here, since the polygon count would be a lot lower not displaying all that indoor environment. But that's not really a negative comment, just someting I point out. And there are some minor visual errors here and there, but that's okey, because I like this map.

Cool batman sign and light, where is the bat mobile? And one more question, the map title dot (...), was that a result of lack of imagination?

Really good job sanity!
sanity
was in the wrong place

Post by sanity »

First of, thanks for the review, to get a perspective of your work is one of the highlights.

I can agree that the tags are too many, first time I play with this and it might have gotten out of hand :p, it's not that fun now when I think of it hehe

I'm not very good at lightning, never have been, but as I've said to you personally, I will play around with Arghrad to get a better knowledge of lightning and since I have no plans to stop mapping for aq2, there should be a better lighted map sometime from me :)

Weird that the garage section could make you die, I thought I positioned the playerclip (for you who don't know, invisible brush) in a way that I never thought of checking it's lethally.

At first I was planning to make all indoor areas accessible mainly because I love big maps, but after advice from friends I closed it and I didn't bother to close it with solid brushes, lazyness I guess.

haha, the batman sign has been an idea of mine for quite some time and I finally did it, I love it and I think it's something that will define this map later on, which is great :)
yea, I am terrible at making up names and because my advisors tend to act unserious, my name selection didn't come to any conclusion and I just wanted to be done with it, hehe.

Thanks alot to the rest of you to
Makkey
is connecting

Post by Makkey »

I get an error: GL_upload8: too large

Whats tha problem? O_o
MarlPoro
melted

Post by MarlPoro »

Men wolfy! :B Good to see you at mapping again! First I saw the topic of this thread, I instantly thought about PaTMaN :p and the map actually seems to have lotsa jumping options :-D

Well anyways, I like how you used textures, they match well with each other. Somebody might not like the contrast between the roofs and walls, but at least I do (and I'm always right, aight?).

I felt like there was too much space in a few areas. Not too much cover for my taste. The center of the map, ground level and roof next to edge of the map, near batman light.
- http://marlporo.pp.fi/misc/dot-01.jpg
- http://marlporo.pp.fi/misc/dot-02.jpg

The basic layout of the map is good also, though IMO you should have cut some places out, maybe with playerclips.
- f.ex. the highest roof, perfect for making 2min rounds with ssg =): http://marlporo.pp.fi/misc/dot-03.jpg

And here's a pretty annoying strafejump bug, that MIGHT have something to do with my fps-settings.. but I haven't encountered such anywhere else before. You get stuck to the road and can't start bunnyhopping before you stop or jump to the sidewalk. Yeah I know, there is some sticky jumping in other maps too, but not like this:
- http://marlporo.pp.fi/misc/dot.dm2

Nice work mate, I'll give you 8.8/10 B)
If you happen to fix those I mentioned, it's a 9.5 for sure ;p
MarlPoro / Anxiety
Thanks for reading
sanity
was in the wrong place

Post by sanity »

I left the roofs pretty open to force fast play, that you have to move around quickly to not get shot, and all the routes up and down the roofs helps that,

the highest roof was playerclipped at first, but it was such a nice view from there :P didn't try this map in gameplay at all actually, so hard to find a decent server to secretely try it :P

hmm I had no idea that problem can be caused by the map, I have stumbled on to it several times but it has always been cause of change of gfxcard, config setup or vsync if I remember correctly
this is terrible :/, dunno how to fix it ( anyone?)

thanks alot for post :)
WizardExt
tried to put the pin back in
In-game Name: WizardExt
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder

Post by WizardExt »

MarlPoro wrote:And here's a pretty annoying strafejump bug, that MIGHT have something to do with my fps-settings.. but I haven't encountered such anywhere else before. You get stuck to the road and can't start bunnyhopping before you stop or jump to the sidewalk. Yeah I know, there is some sticky jumping in other maps too, but not like this:
- http://marlporo.pp.fi/misc/dot.dm2
I know a similar bug, where you can't double jump on a box. To avoid the issue I have to create my map in the north/east corner of the grid inside the editor.

Anyway, I have Marlporo's issue with my new computer at few locations on urban and urban2. But not near the amount that Marlporo shows, and not at all at this map.
sanity
was in the wrong place

Post by sanity »

very weird indeed :/

another thing, in all my maps (atleast for me, the shadows are like 1 metre in the air, that is, not on the ground but above the objects :P has always been like this
Flunx
feels some chest pain
In-game Name: iN Flunx

Post by Flunx »

sanity wrote:in all my maps (atleast for me, the shadows are like 1 metre in the air, that is, not on the ground but above the objects :P has always been like this
Hmm, what kind of variables do you use for you sun/sky lighting?
I like to play games, not watch them
sanity
was in the wrong place

Post by sanity »

just value ? : P I dont use any fancy stuff, will be experimenting with arghrad shortly though
Flunx
feels some chest pain
In-game Name: iN Flunx

Post by Flunx »

Like angle and such. Just wondering because I get those kind of shadows when the radiosity/light fails to compile properly.
I like to play games, not watch them
sanity
was in the wrong place

Post by sanity »

hmm i just checked doesnt seem to get them now, perhaps it's just when I compile it with qbsp only, would explain what u said about radiosity/light failing, :p