Tribal2 [NEW MAP]

Forum for all new beta and released maps!

Moderators: Moderators, Mappers

SoD
joined the game

Tribal2 [NEW MAP]

Post by SoD »

Tribal2 - Whistling Caverns

[UPDATE]

The fixed version!
I decided to go a head and re-do the lighting on this map. Here is what it looks like:

sounds are also fixed in this version as well

Download it here
http://myfreefilehosting.com/f/b4e44e662c_4.72MB

sorry for slow download, ill post a new link when i find a better host
Last edited by SoD on Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:40 am, edited 4 times in total.
tossu
is connecting

Post by tossu »

Like a dream, soon going to "test" it...
tossy @ #NiceOne(1) Qnet, Whisper for cybernetics...
IBA
didn't throw its grenade far enough

Post by IBA »

wow, it looks so hmm green
#quadaver || TEAMS !"§ || http://www.quadaver.de
Caracol
was picked off

Post by Caracol »

SHADOWS

... use them.
Ne quid nimis.
SoD
joined the game

Post by SoD »

someone just pointed out to me that i do not have the sound files in the right location which kinda ruins the whole title "whistling caverns"

to fix create a new SoD folder in the sound dir and put all the included sound files in there.

sorry my bad. the sounds dont play a big role in the map so you may not notice a big difference. i like to keep the sounds limited so they do not disrupt game play.

yeah sorry about the lighting job on this map as well. i was having trouble getting my sun to function at all. when i finally did get the sun to work, i didnt spend much time adjusting for best affect since i was already frustrated enough heh. the map does have shadows, they just show up really green. i went with the first color i tried because i liked the role they played on the textures. made the textures appear to be more complex than they actually were.

anyway, if i ever do finish another project, ill remember not to rush things and experiment more. =p
BeAViS
ittssaaa marrrioooo!

Post by BeAViS »

i like green color.
it is so gay.
- Killing today in old fashioned way -
- Beware of Beavers -
- :mario: -
WizardExt
tried to put the pin back in
In-game Name: WizardExt
Mouse: Razer DeathAdder

Post by WizardExt »

You made a sequel to an unfinished map, that's great...

It doesn't look like the first Tribal map, looking at the colors. And the lighting is really bad, would be a lot better unlit like your previous maps. Please fix the lighting.

I don't understand why you rush your maps. You are really wasting your and our time when you do this. I honestly believe your maps will be great if you take your time and not rush. Learn the stuff you need to learn. And when you feel you are fully finished, then you release the map.

Take your time and expirement a loooooot less. Good luck!
Pe0n
was flattened

Post by Pe0n »

it suked, bl.
BigGayMule
is connecting

Post by BigGayMule »

Ligthing is fine imo. I imagine SoD is making this map from a North American perspective where it is most common to use gl_modulte somewhere in the 10-30 range, that washes out pretty much any map so lighting has kind of taken a backseat. gg SoD, thicket is still my favorite map of all time.

[awe]pot-shot
[awe]pot-shot
Armed Weapons Experts
IBA
didn't throw its grenade far enough

Post by IBA »

BigGayMule wrote: where it is most common to use gl_modulte somewhere in the 10-30 range
[awe]pot-shot
since maximum is 8
#quadaver || TEAMS !"§ || http://www.quadaver.de
BeAViS
ittssaaa marrrioooo!

Post by BeAViS »

[size=200]BigGayMule[/size] wrote: where it is most common to use gl_modulte somewhere in the 10-30 range
[awe]pot-shot

lol
- Killing today in old fashioned way -
- Beware of Beavers -
- :mario: -
SoD
joined the game

Post by SoD »

well since potshot is sticking up for me, i thought i might put in a word towards his defense.

Image gl_modulate 1
Image gl_modulate 3
Image gl_modulate 8
Image gl_modulate 30
Image and more exaggerated, gl_modulate 100

so yea, you can see how lighting might have lost its importance to me in this last map. no worries though. im working on another map right now and taking extra care with the lighting. i was thinking i might make this one purple.... lol jk. But that brings me to a question; whats the standard gl_modulate i should be using to test my maps with?
bail
should have used a smaller gun

Post by bail »

SoD wrote:But that brings me to a question; whats the standard gl_modulate i should be using to test my maps with?
gl_modulate 3
bail{UNi}
BigGayMule
is connecting

Post by BigGayMule »

We have never used TNG in North America, so nope there is no 8 maximum. I've used gl_modulate 30 since 1998, and its probably the norm throughout the N.A. scene since back then. I think you'll find the regular quake2 players throughout N.A. AND Europe are using gl_modulate 30 or more, aq2:TNG is unique at limiting that, besides maybe Gloom. The ability to limit it is in aq2:ete it is just not enforced.
[awe]pot-shot
Armed Weapons Experts
bail
should have used a smaller gun

Post by bail »

BigGayMule wrote:We have never used TNG in North America, so nope there is no 8 maximum. I've used gl_modulate 30 since 1998, and its probably the norm throughout the N.A. scene since back then.
Imo it ruins the gameplay, A dark map is suppose to be dark cause thats how the author thought the map should be played and using gl_modulate 30 takes that away.
i never heard of that 8 maximum you talk about in my world 3 has always been maximum gl_modulate setting.
gl_modulate 3 works just fun in almost all maps, except maybe the pitch black room in cloud but still thats how the mapmaker thought the room should be. sure somtimes ive been fucked up cause i havent seen a thing when entering that room in cloud but its part of the game.
All my maps is built with gl_modulate 3 and it works just fine.
bail{UNi}