Playing the q2 single player in action mode

The general catch-all forum for Action Quake2 related discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

hoey
is connecting

Playing the q2 single player in action mode

Post by hoey »

Several years ago when I still spent about a hundred hours a week playing aq2 I once noticed by chance that I could actually play through the regular quake2 story mode single player campaign thing with the game on action mode. Needless to say, I played it and fell in love.

It offered several new dynamics to the game, and made it a ton harder -- everytime you got hit you took at least 5 damage from bleeding (unless you were fortunate enough to find a vest and then fortunate enough to be hit in the chest). Falling damage was also a problem, as were the random instant deaths from boss headshots. The rocket launcher was replaced with the m4, the double shotgun with the handcannon, railgun with sniper rifle, etc. It also allowed for skipping many zones (or even levels) by performing some difficult aq2-physics jumps. It was possibly more enjoyable than any other single player FPS game I've ever played.

Unfortunately, in the transitions between computers since then I lost aq2, and just now finally finished reinstalling it. To my incredible dismay, after following all of the steps on the 'How to play it...' thread and installing everything, I can't play the single player in action mode. When I try to start a new game it just puts me in the middle of the level as if it were a one-player deathmatch, instead of starting the campaign. Has anybody else ever been able to play single player in action mode? If so, please help me figure it out asap! There may be no more american servers around, but I'm hoping I can still get the nostalgic aq2 experience one last time!

Cliffnotes: Does anybody know how to play the single player campaign mode with the action mod? Help would be very much appreciated!
Savior
plummets to its death

Post by Savior »

well since www.kweik.com and god knows where you can also download it from only got the demo from q2 thats probably why, try installing full q2 and then action, no clue where you can get it from now tho =)

ive tried singel player some to, but I got mad when they didn't fucking die even though u shot them in the head with the pistol </3
gegoj
tried to put the pin back in

Post by gegoj »

You'll need to download this gamex86.dll and put it in Your quake2\action\ folder.
Then just make a shortcut to quake2.exe with +set game action parameter. (You can use other clients, such as aprq2 etc.)

But as Savior's pointed out, You'll need fully installed quake 2 to play the whole campaign.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge... ...and some just gargle...
SuicidaLP
bleeds to death

Post by SuicidaLP »

I thought Internet existed so that we didn't have to play alone )=
Trsto
plummets to its death

Post by Trsto »

SuicidaLP wrote:I thought Internet existed so that we didn't have to play alone )=
It has Co-op option =)
minchiano
bleeds to death

Post by minchiano »

Trsto wrote:
SuicidaLP wrote:I thought Internet existed so that we didn't have to play alone )=
It has Co-op option =)

It has, and I remember playing it with a bunch of yanks pinging around 240 some years back. It was a load of fun to be sure! DIE STROGG DIE!!!

I must recommend the single player game though, since the guys I played with are hard to come by and most, if not everyone is a fucken cunt one way or the other (myself included).

Good luck fixing it.
hoey
is connecting

Post by hoey »

gegoj wrote:You'll need to download this gamex86.dll and put it in Your quake2\action\ folder.
Then just make a shortcut to quake2.exe with +set game action parameter. (You can use other clients, such as aprq2 etc.)

But as Savior's pointed out, You'll need fully installed quake 2 to play the whole campaign.
This did the trick! Thank you so much! I do have the full q2 installed, and am now well into the single player campaign, complete with falling damage, bleeding, lack of ammo, and getting gimped by every enemy (read: challenges and nostalgia)! Thanks again!
Lotus
killed itself
In-game Name: kk'lok
Mouse: diamondback

Post by Lotus »

Wow! Never heard of this, or thought of it. It seems a lot of fun. And even co-op? Thanks for mentioning this.
I pleasure myself, everyday.
>kk'lok
stan0x
killed itself
In-game Name: stan0x
Operating System: Windows 7, linux
Processor model/speed: i7 2600K
Memory: 16GB DRR3
Hard drive: 1 x 240GB SSD 5 x 2 TB
Graphics card: GTX470
Monitor: LG
Mouse: MX
Keyboard: Steelseries G7

Post by stan0x »

yea its fun. only it crashes alot !
#clan.fubar #narf #heks #aq2world
Trsto
plummets to its death

Post by Trsto »

stan0x wrote:yea its fun. only it crashes alot !
it only crashes in non co-op single player mode when you die ^^ ...