Action Quake Online

The general catch-all forum for Action Quake2 related discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Darksaint
joined the game
In-game Name: Darksaint

Action Quake Online

Post by Darksaint »

This is my contribution to the game that really got me into the FPS scene.

With the source code of Jake2 (the Java port of the Quake II code released under GPL), I've been able to create a Java client that is dedicated to connecting anyone who wants to play Action Quake at any time on nearly any computer. The requirements are very tame (anything over 1GHz and a half gig of RAM is more than enough) and the client is under constant development by myself and my ragtag team of old Action Quake fans.

You just need:
Latest version of Java
A computer made in the past decade
About 130MB of hard drive space

The easiest way to play is to head on over to http://www.actionquakeonline.com/aqo, read the How to Play if you wish, or jump right in with the Play It Now button. You will be given an option of which mode to play (these modes and much more are explained in How to Play). These browser menus are linked to small (jnlp) files (http://java.sun.com/developer/technical ... ming/jnlp/) which directly connect you to the servers hosting the games. If the server you pick is full, it will automatically redirect you to the next one of the same gametype that is not full. (One issue that I've yet to fix is that the game always crashes the first time you launch it; no worries, just click the same button you pressed previously and the game will work properly)

Currently, there are over 30 servers available to play on, and with a click of the mouse, a small download (I recommend the Full download to keep misc. downloading files from the server to a minimum), you can join in. The main web page, http://www.actionquakeonline.com/ keeps a running tab on which servers are empty, full and in between, so you can choose the server you want to play on by clicking on the server banner. It is completely browser and Java-based and run, no need to download 3rd party apps.

It is currently in beta stage, so there are some missing items (most notably, a few HUD icons, main title screen icons, tutorial map for new players) but you can setup your player, controls, video preferences and join in on any server I have up. These items and other small issues are on the Fixit list and we do plan on getting to them as soon as possible.

Here are some things I already realize, so you don't have to beat a dead horse :D ----
1. I realize the game is ugly and the graphics are dated. This is Quake II, not Bad Company 2. It's built for speed and gameplay, not graphics
2. I realize there's plenty of bugs and missing icons/textures; these problems will be solved in updates that will occur automatically whenever you use the program
3. All of the tools and technologies I've used to make this setup are under a version of GPL (Quake II source code, Jake2 source code, Action Quake source code), so this setup is just as legal as any mod done for any engine

Please, leave feedback and constructive criticism in this thread if you wish. This is not a finished product, so I need your help to make it better! Thanks :cool:

BTW: This port audience is not focused on you guys. You all already use the game to its fullest potential with custom binds/aliases, special graphics settings and custom clients. The target audience is new people who have never or rarely played an FPS game at all and this is an attempt to make it as painless as possible to play.
minchiano
bleeds to death

Post by minchiano »

Yihah! :norris:

GJ Darksaint!

:beer:
Evilcina
saw the light

Post by Evilcina »

This is exactly what aq needs if we want fresh blood!

try to talk with this guys here maybe they can help u http://arenalive.zexos.org/
SuicidaLP
bleeds to death

Post by SuicidaLP »

aq won't have fresh blood...
the initiative is good.. but the game is too dead to try to revive it...
What we should've done is what cs did, prevent ppl from getting out in the first and they made this kinda things a long time ago :/
but nice one anyway =)
Darksaint
joined the game

Post by Darksaint »

I changed it from Java to a standard tiny install, and players can download everything else they need from the server via http/r1q2 protocol @ http://www.actionquakeonline.com/
ZoRoXo
tripped on its own grenade
In-game Name: Keeent

Post by ZoRoXo »

SuicidaLP wrote:aq won't have fresh blood...
the initiative is good.. but the game is too dead to try to revive it...
What we should've done is what cs did, prevent ppl from getting out in the first and they made this kinda things a long time ago :/
but nice one anyway =)
this is very true. I downloaded the installer to try it out a little bit and although I couldn't really try it out since there were 0 players on the serverlist on that site, plus the servers being from the US didn't really help. Either way, this installer didn't really do anything good. If I was going to show someone new to this game I'd rather have them download the installer from http://kweik.com/ since then they could play at once with no issues instead of being forced to download every texture and map from the servers in aq2, which btw download slow as hell for some reason.

Also, i'm very curious if there has been any new players to this game at all the last year, with the exception of finland ofcourse because they suck.
Aka. kK >> Keeent
( ) ( )
(^_^)
(~)(~)
SuicidaLP
bleeds to death

Post by SuicidaLP »

- Make a config generator
- Add European servers to the list
- Make a new design to the game \o/
- Improve the netcode of aq2 \o/
????
Profit!
Vitinho
blew itself up

Post by Vitinho »

SuicidaLP wrote:- Make a config generator
- Add European servers to the list
- Make a new design to the game \o/
- Improve the netcode of aq2 \o/
????
Profit!
"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
KaniZ
is connecting

Post by KaniZ »

it would be awesome if people could play this on their browsers :)

mmm add hw2k.se for sweden section (aq2 jump server)

and for finland:

aq2.e-sports.fi:27910
aq2.e-sports.fi:27920
aq2.e-sports.fi:27930
aq2.e-sports.fi:27940

there were also some german and icelandic servers
Darksaint
joined the game

Post by Darksaint »

I'll be adding all remaining AQ2 servers on the homepage for everyone to use.

The installer I have on the homepage is a proof-of-concept beta; basically I wanted to see if it registers the quake2:// links properly, downloads only the textures, maps and environments necessary to play a limited number of maps (no need to download 650MB of paks when you only play 10 maps). In the near future I will be modifying the client code to make it very Action user-friendly (such as committing AQ2-specific binds in the Controls, like reload/bandage), a tutorial mode/map for new players (if enough interest is sparked) as well as some other random goodies.
Stric
needs some Pepto Bismol

Post by Stric »

Well, in any point, AQ2 needs some coding to make it funny and joyable to play. One of that are achievements or rewards, accuracy,impressive excellent is not enough. We need funny ones...
For a proper CLIENT you can check q2pro.sf.net It has scriptable menus and works perfectly, instead of java client.

keep good work with your project.
^stric^
KaniZ
is connecting

Post by KaniZ »

Uncle- wrote:One of that are achievements or rewards, accuracy,impressive excellent is not enough. We need funny ones...
i support that dude...
Darksaint wrote:a tutorial mode/map for new players
that would be a good idea :) hope that some good map makers will interest about this.
well im interested but my maps sucks ass : DDD
Darksaint
joined the game

Post by Darksaint »

Uncle- wrote:Well, in any point, AQ2 needs some coding to make it funny and joyable to play. One of that are achievements or rewards, accuracy,impressive excellent is not enough. We need funny ones...
For a proper CLIENT you can check q2pro.sf.net It has scriptable menus and works perfectly, instead of java client.

keep good work with your project.
I dumped the Java client and am working with R1Q2 at the moment, as a mini-installer, with automatic registry additions to let you use quake2:// urls upon install.

We need some new voice actors or something and adding new rewards would be easy :bday:
Lotus
killed itself
In-game Name: kk'lok
Mouse: diamondback

Post by Lotus »

nice innovation.
I pleasure myself, everyday.
>kk'lok
Darksaint
joined the game

Post by Darksaint »

To garner interest, Tastyspleen.net is going to host a 3v3 Teamplay tournament this Saturday, with gift card prizes to the winners. The matches will be hosted on US servers in a matchplay setting using the latest TNG build from hifi. More details will come soon while we work out the nitty gritty.

The event: http://tastyspleen.net/quake/forums/ind ... ic=13641.0

Mapvoting: http://tastyspleen.net/quake/forums/ind ... ic=13645.0