DMFLAGS - THE POST

The general catch-all forum for Action Quake2 related discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

emu
Syndrome of a Down

DMFLAGS - THE POST

Post by emu »

As im playing for iN (norwegian clan) we play with dmflags 768 (which is normal for us. We OFTEN (maby to often) meet finnish clans. They allways play their map with 256 or something.

I just wonder how the hell this happend that some part of sca plays 256 and some 768 ? and what was the original dmflag ?

I just think that we should set a standard, so that this wont be a "whine subject" like it has been alot.

fks. we beating sC and they claimed it as cus we where "dm flag n00bs"

Please post your thoughs
Call me your valentine call me once tonight
Da^JuaN
was picked off

Post by Da^JuaN »

well, you have a lot of dmflags which can be used. But the most used ones are 256 and 768. They are for teamplay, without falling damage and without friendly fire.

If im correct, dmflags 768 is the opposite of dmflags 256. So for example, if you play with 768 and you spawn up in sludge1, if you play the same round with dmflags 256 in sludge1 you spawn down. Its something like that. Correct me if im wrong ;)

There is no default dmflags, but there is a most used dmflags, which is 768. dmflags 768 is used by all leagues and most servers, except the finnish servers.
Jazzie
is now shorter

Post by Jazzie »

There is no default dmflags, but there is a most used dmflags, which is 768. dmflags 768 is used by all leagues and most servers, except the finnish servers.

Note 1: There are more used servers/clans/players in Finland than there is in the rest of Europe.

Note 2: Spring Cup (I consider it a league) uses dmflags 256.

Conclusion of the notes: Get your facts right.

On the subject I'd like to say that I don't care at all what I am playing with, but that it seems rather odd to force 768. Since if you can't cope with your map's spawns you should prolly play another map.
fell in love with the game
Da^JuaN
was picked off

Post by Da^JuaN »

I dont know anything of spring cup.

and i pointed at the fact that in every country besides finland dmflags 768 is used then.
emu
Syndrome of a Down

Post by emu »

nr.1 even tho there are more players\clans\servers in finland does mean this is right ? As long as i've been around i havn't played agaist 256 before later time against finnish clans. maby this is just me..

nr.2 spring cup is started by finnish players.

nr.3 Tokyo is VERY different to play with 256 instead of 768. its like running around in the dark.

so take your own advice before writing.
arild
loses a vital chest organ

Post by arild »

768 means spawn farthest which means you will be able to have some kind of tactic since your opponent spawns in some spot that you can figure out after a while.

256 is random spawns which means you can spawn next to eachother and you dont know where they spawn. I consider this option silly. There is no point with teamplay unless you can have a good tactic.

For example at Cliff2: Your opponent can spawn on the bridge while the others spawn in the water with their back to the bridge.

With 768 they will atleast spawn above the water and have some kind of chance in the round.

NAQL, EAQL and CotT is using dmflags 768

-Arild
Hapid00!!
nufan
brains are on the wall

Post by nufan »

hmm, im not really sure tho, but i think 256 was getting more popular after the spawns advantages on one team with 768(old TNG).

but it's no longer a problem with the new TNG.

768 is spawns farthest away which I really prefer, you don't get the close spawns then,which is really a mess on many maps. (just as arild pointed out. tokyo: one team in the alley and the other on the middle roof. and many muuure)

but I really don't get why the finnish ppl(SOME that is) complain on it, cuz none of the teams get's an advantage and they will still have the same spawns as 256, just without the close ones. :? so why not just accept it? when we just ask for such a little thing, ;P we play 2xfi. you know :rambo:
Last edited by nufan on Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emu
Syndrome of a Down

Post by emu »

i agree with arild for once :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
mirror
didn't throw its grenade far enough

Post by mirror »

lol? that means if 256 is used there would be the possibility that both teams spawn on the same side in cloud? never saw that :) or is that something else?
Zak
joined the game

Post by Zak »

No don´t think so mirle :)

Different dmflags only avoid some bad Spawns like on c2 if I remember correctly :lol:

See ya!

Zak
iler
special poika polizai

Post by iler »

nufan wrote:
but I really don't get why the finnish ppl(SOME that is) complain on it, cuz none of the teams get's an advantage and they will still have the same spawns as 256, just without the close ones. :? so why not just accept it? :rambo:

but I really don't get why the non-finnish ppl(SOME that is) complain on it, cuz none of the teams get's an advantage and they will still have the same spawns as 768, just without the close ones. :? so why not just accept it?

:rambo:

=)
paino on voimaa, ylipaino on ylivoimaa BD http://www.clanunited.org
kaaos
blew itself up

Post by kaaos »

if i remember correctly, i've always had dmflags 256 in my claim config, before tng and stuff. and as emu said, maps are different with 256 and 768, for example my clan uses dmflags 256 on sludge1 because we are used to it.

and if you ask from me what are the default dmflags, they are 0 - meaning there are no default dmflags settings. for example who decided that by default friendly fire is set to off? there is still at least one clan who uses ff and there have been more.
THEIR WHITE FLAGS ARE NO MATCH FOR OUR MACHINEGUNS
Vermin
plummets to its death

Post by Vermin »

arild wrote:768 means spawn farthest which means you will be able to have some kind of tactic since your opponent spawns in some spot that you can figure out after a while.

256 is random spawns which means you can spawn next to eachother and you dont know where they spawn. I consider this option silly. There is no point with teamplay unless you can have a good tactic.

For example at Cliff2: Your opponent can spawn on the bridge while the others spawn in the water with their back to the bridge.

With 768 they will atleast spawn above the water and have some kind of chance in the round.

NAQL, EAQL and CotT is using dmflags 768

-Arild
Yes that's what 768 does... spawn farthest. But 256 isn't totally random spawns, u can't spawn on the same side in cloud or right next to each other in c2 (like in that one buggy version of tng long time ago) for example and at least i've learned how the spawns go in many maps with 256 so it's not totally random :) I've always played with 256 except after AiD started playing c2 with 768. And the funny part of it was that even though both teams got less pitspawns the opponent whined about 768 almost every time.

Now which is better then? I think you can't say that. I mean, for cliff2 768 makes the spawns more fair but that doesn't mean that it makes the spawns more fair in every map. Although it surely makes a difference if a clan has used to play their homemap with 768 and the opposing team with 256 and then if u use 768 the opposing team is like o_O "wtf". And vice versa.

So the fighting goes on :)
nufan
brains are on the wall

Post by nufan »

vermin: not really, they who play with 256, won't get a "wtf". cuz with 768 you have all the same spawns as 256,just without the close spawns.

iler wrote:

but I really don't get why the non-finnish ppl(SOME that is) complain on it, cuz none of the teams get's an advantage and they will still have the same spawns as 768, just without the close ones. so why not just accept it?

you'll get the close spawns :P that's why
Vermin
plummets to its death

Post by Vermin »

nufan wrote:vermin: not really, they who play with 256, won't get a "wtf". cuz with 768 you have all the same spawns as 256,just without the close spawns.

iler wrote:

but I really don't get why the non-finnish ppl(SOME that is) complain on it, cuz none of the teams get's an advantage and they will still have the same spawns as 768, just without the close ones. so why not just accept it?

you'll get the close spawns :P that's why
Yes they will get a "wtf" since spawn farthest works like this: the other team always gets a spawn randomly and it goes like this until all the spawns have been used by this team and then it starts the lottery from the beginning again. The other team always gets the farthest spawn from the spawn which the first team gets. I've been confused many times in urban2 and other maps cos I'm used to 256 but then I played those maps with 768 and the enemy didn't spawn like the way they did before.