Aq 2 FPS cap ?

Forum for anything hard- or software related.

Moderator: Moderators

Carnage
is connecting

Aq 2 FPS cap ?

Post by Carnage »

Right. I noticed when i do timerefresh i cant seem to get more than 60 fps for some reason ? map etc doesnt matter. i got my maxfps at 100 atm.

I lauched quake2, ran a timedemo on demo1.dm2 and got like 240 fps.
then i lauched action from the console, instead of starting ti like i normally do. Still max 60 fps no matter what i do.
Changed back to Quake2 and ran the demo1.dm2 again. This time i got 60 fps on that demo, then i came to the conclusion that there must be some gfx option or something in some cfg i have i aq2.

Only thing i could think of was config.cfg, so i replaced my aq2 config.cfg with my quake2 one. Still no difference, wtf is up here ? any1 have a clue ?
Camper Clan (CC)

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance"
- Union General John Sedgwick Famous last words
Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

This may be because vertical sync is enabled in either windows, or through the cmd in aq2, gl_ztrick 1. I'm a bit tired now. I'll help you tomorrow if you havent found a solution then.
Steinar "Blue Vex" Furuli
I snipe with my Pistol, and your Rifle.
Carnage
is connecting

Post by Carnage »

that solved it alright :P

Was a windows setting :P Dunno what good it did though got 600 fps/s on timerefresh now but still feels laggier for some reason hehe

cheers BV
Camper Clan (CC)

Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

Glad to hear. :)
As you say, you will experience some flickering on your screen when vsync is disabled. You could perhaps try raising the hz for the resolution you play with in AQ2. While also lowering your maxfps to the same value of that hz.
Carnage
is connecting

Post by Carnage »

AH VERY NICE ! :D

apperently my gimpy monitor can only hold 85hz at 1024x768 but this is great :) cheers a bunch, will take some time getting used to
Camper Clan (CC)

Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

When you cap your fps at a low value, you'll be experiencing less sticky textures (which is good). There isnt any perfect value for all pc's out there. You just gotto find out for yourself what value removes the most sticky textures for you. Unfortunatelly, high fps is prettier. :)
Also, an fps value roughly above 100 makes you able to get atop the boxes on teamjungle.

If you want to play with a low fps value, but still be able to get atop those boxes, you may modify this script to your preference:

alias +jumphigh "set cl_maxfps 110"
alias -jumphigh "set cl_maxfps 85"
bind <button> +jumphigh

Just press and hold the assigned button when you want to get atop those boxes, and release it when youre up on them. Raising your maxfps isnt enough though. Your computer has to actually get 100+ fps, or else you wont get atop the boxes. Look down into the ground if youre having problems acheiving enough fps.
You seem smart, so perhaps you already know all of this. :)
Now I'm gone sleeping..
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

Why don't you do an article on this subject, Blue V? Expertise on this subject is on high demand; even though I know got my aq2 tweaked to my liking, at least in this respect, it still puzzles me WHY it works like this (as in, the stuff with the 'sticky' textures).
Gore Vidal: "To succeed is not enough. Others must fail."
McCree
joined the game

Post by McCree »

<offtopic>
An article of maxfps value with rate value would be nice. I mean, if someone knew how to calculate the best rate for each maxfps.
Paskaks vaa ku ei oo omaa
Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

I'll see if I can turn up with something good enough.