Map ideas, anyone?

The general catch-all forum for Action Quake2 related discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

IBA
didn't throw its grenade far enough

Post by IBA »

just make a quarter with nothing :P
so noone can camp or hide :P
#quadaver || TEAMS !"§ || http://www.quadaver.de
Jazzie
is now shorter

Re: Yessir

Post by Jazzie »

vader wrote:Maybe make a cliff3, but diffent from 1 and 2... some sort of new cliff :D
already done.
fell in love with the game
Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

can u make fog in aq ? lets make some swamp map with fog and things
Omfg, yes! Then get lots of ambient swamp sounds.
Steinar "Blue Vex" Furuli
I snipe with my Pistol, and your Rifle.
Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

I was gonna make a map once, but I forgot to do it. :)
It was a gonna be a farm with an akre (or how you write it). The akre itself was walls, but it was possible to walk in them. And then there was gonna be a shot down UFO somewhere which you could enter. I was gonna steal the map layout from a small game called Email Games: X-Com. That game contains lots of great layouts for AQ2 maps. And the original UFO is also the best game ever. :)
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Septique wrote:this sounds nice too.. can u make fog in aq ? lets make some swamp map with fog and things :) that would be cool
I recall one of the AQ mods having fog, but it was client side, so it could be turned off, not really usable in a map because of that. Since you could "cheat" and turn the fog off and see much longer than the "honest" players. A swamp would be kind of cool, difficult to make I'm sure, but definitely unique at least :) Anyone have any good swamp pictures? :D
Jazzie
is now shorter

Post by Jazzie »

BV wrote:And the original UFO is also the best game ever. :)
Quoted for absolute truth. I still install it from time to time, ever the challenge to get that unconcious Ethereal Commander.

edti:
swamp1
swamp2
swamp3

something along those lines would be cool. note that I didn't say playable, I said cool.
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Then again, come to think of it, Swamps would mean lots of water, which would mean slower action, which would mean that it would be flamed into eternal damnation :) :rambo:

Just look at the map waterworld f.ex. It was a quite cool and original idea, but it would never work properly because of all the water slowing things down. Then again I thought that the map as a whole wasn't really thought through properly, designwize, but still, I don't think that the concept would work. The players liking slower type gameplay have already moved to CS (thank God! 8) )
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Jazzie wrote: ...note that I didn't say playable, I said cool...
:)
Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

A swamp wont mean slower action because the water will only reach up to your ankles.
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Blue Vex wrote:A swamp wont mean slower action because the water will only reach up to your ankles.
I don't know what kind of swamps you have whereever you come from :) but the ones I know of contain equivalents of small lakes worth of water :)
Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

Saw the pictures after posting.. :)
They did indeed contain alot of small lakes.
What I'm thinking of is some swap like we have up at our cabin.
Jazzie
is now shorter

Post by Jazzie »

Blue Vex wrote:What I'm thinking of is some swap like we have up at our cabin.
allright

well, I think those pictures could be used with ankle-deep waters aswell. I imagine that swamps are filled with small lakes, but really shallow ones.
Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

Haha.
kamikraez
is connecting

Post by kamikraez »

i have lots of cool ideas, but since i map i keep them all to myself.

MUAHAHAHAHA

no not really. i base my maps around gameplay - details and all tat come second. everyone here should know how cool the battles on the top of cliff2 are... so the gameplay element there is the high point with spawns on either side.

SO my idea is to have a desert-style map with a sand-dune in the middle, recreating the high-edge element. plus i hate camping so there would be an alternate route - underground tunnel or something - from one side to the other.

i also wanted to do an actcity3 type map, with 2 platforms ver far apart, but with no complete hiding spots, and an open route between them - so basically a long distance sniping skill map.

another map i got a sorta start on was inspired by cliff1 skeet. but both sides have ramps, and using trigger_push ents would stop you legging yourself on the fall.

ive got a few more ideas im workiing on atm (sorta), and i never finish my maps.

btw, i moderate the q2 forum section of http://www.gamedesign.net if you ever have any questions about mapping we can help.
Sovnig
blew itself up

Post by Sovnig »

1. : A swamp would be cool, that's never been seen before I s'pose.

2. : In Denmark we have these churches called "Rundkirker", it'd be cool to play on a map around those. Do a picture search on google for "Rundkirke" if you want to see what they look like..

3. : A ghetto map would be cool. Lots of small streets with trash all over, and buildings you _cant_ enter

4. : A beach/paradise map would be awesome too, since I dont think I've seen that before either. Would be wonderfull to frag around in a holiday paradise

5. : A map with the theme "desert" would be cool too. With no mountains or any other fancy stuff. Just tall hills and perhaps some nomadic huts

6. : An abandoned zoo would be cool too, though it'd take a great deal of imagination to make it work like a proper aq2-map tho
A good discussion is like a miniskirt; long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to pertain interest
//Splinter