One of Blue Vex's passions

The general catch-all forum for Action Quake2 related discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Span
sank like a rock

Post by Span »

n99 wrote:Not the realism is THAT important but now those things can stop multiple bullets? I thought they (the kev. helmets) were gonna be combined with the thigh pads - no need to increase the protection then if you ask me.
Headshots are very rare in comparison to 'chestshots'. So the kevlar helmet is actually pretty much useless if you're running around down-ground. It's main usage will most likely be in a combination with roof-camping, in which case the thigh pads are more or less useless, too.

The thigh pads will, hopefully, make up for some of the disadvantages from climbing down from the roofs, ie. if you want to find another roof to camp on. But the benefits are not that great, imo. We'll still have to test out how well this balances in-game. So these are, most likely, not final adjustments.
"fifan va lätt!"
Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

imeiz wrote:If two hits from m4 to chest kills you, and one to head, then compared to that, you can hit vest with m4 like 12 times to kill someone, thus helmet should be able to take atleast 4-5 hits before the killing shot...
I agree. :)
I did some calculations on this. As of now, when you hit someone in the Helmet with M4, they lose 45% health. When you hit someone in the chest with M4, they lose 45% health + bleeding. Hitting someone once in the chest followed by once in the Helmet, is equal to hitting chest twice. Kinda silly. :)
After Span changed the Helmet, a bullet from the M4 will be reduced to 20 damage. I still think this is a bit too much though, because I want people to survive stomach+stomach+helmet hit combinations. I should consider that Thigh Pads will come into account later, so perhaps 20 damage from the M4 is okay. The damage dealt by MP5 is 12,5 (~13). Damage dealt by the Sniper Rifle is the same as before.

The Helmet is perfect for people who stand atop the roofs and shoot down at others. When shooting down at people, only your head is exposed most of the time.
Thigh Pads are excellent when using Sniper/M3/HC. The Sniper Rifle has such a low rate of fire, and whenever you've got leg damage, 2 guys can overrun you in seconds. Getting leg damage when using the M3/HC sucks aswell. People can just back away from you. I belive the amount of leg hits you get in a game is pretty equal to the amount of chest hits. If you add leg hits and head hits together, I'm sure its even.
Just play a game right now, and whenever you receive leg/head damage, just imagine that you would have survived with a Kevlar Helmet & Thigh Pads. ;)

I need a name for the Kevlar Helmet + Thigh Pads. Any suggestions?
Steinar "Blue Vex" Furuli
I snipe with my Pistol, and your Rifle.
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

Stop trying to make it 'real'. How much fun will the game be when everyone is dead all the time?
Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

What are you talking about?
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

I can't remember. I'm tired. I saw something I didn't like in your last post but I can't find it now.
Caracol
was picked off

Post by Caracol »

I like the idea of Kevlar Helmet + Thigh Pads (Maybe, Tactical Armor? or, Tactical Helm with Armored Pads... or something.), because you can manage strategies playing M4/sniper/mp5/m3/HC and kevlar or the-other-two-things, one round with Vest and the other with t-o-t-t. So you confuse the other sniper -or what the hell he plays- and not like a static selection. I think on it like a option for some rounds.
For example, when you hit a kevlar helmet -at the moment- it's not so easy realise that you give a headshot, so... if you are changing almost every round, the one with vest, the other guy hits you on the kevlar and maybe can thing that he hit you in the head, so he will keep shooting at the "head" (vest) and you last more.

By the way, I was thinking on something. When you pick bandolier, and you pick up the same weapon you carry -and the one in the floor is full- you reload the one you carry. But, what about, if you can have two same weapons reloaded. So, you shoot you handcannon and switch to the other one and fire again. Then reload the second one, switch, and reload the first one. And so on. It's possible, sounds very complicated?

At the moment that thing with the kevlar helmet explotion happends if you bleed those 19 hp?

Caracol
Ne quid nimis.
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

Clown wrote:Stop trying to make it 'real'. How much fun will the game be when everyone is dead all the time?
nobody's making it that real.. and if you get the "advantage" of ex that vest set, the other one can have it too, if he wishes.. i think this just broadens the list of items ppl might use when sniping, turning from kevlar vest to kevlar vest, silencer and that helmet&pads
Sync' imeiz - AQ2Suomi & AQ2World forum moderator, part-time TATM-writer
Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

Clown wrote:I can't remember. I'm tired. I saw something I didn't like in your last post but I can't find it now.
:P
Caracol wrote:But, what about, if you can have two same weapons reloaded. So, you shoot you handcannon and switch to the other one and fire again. Then reload the second one, switch, and reload the first one.
If you have two HC's that you fire, but reload only one, both HC's become reloaded. Having two weapons of the same kind on you is useless. What you're suggesting is a downgrade of the Bandolier, and it would effect more than just the Bandolier. :)

Btw, if you choose MP5+Bandolier+MP5, then you will spawn with two MP5's and 4 extra magazines. :) However, the 2nd MP5 is useless, but it gave you 2 extra magazines. If you choose MP5+Bandolier+M4, then you will spawn with 2 machinegun magazines and 2 M4 clips.
Caracol wrote:At the moment that thing with the kevlar helmet explotion happends if you bleed those 19 hp?
Yes. Whenever you die from beeing hit in the head by a Sniper Rifle, you will get gibed. :)
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

What if you choose akimbo = bandolier + akimbo. Would you get 8 clips!?
Gore Vidal: "To succeed is not enough. Others must fail."
Jazzie
is now shorter

Post by Jazzie »

Make it possible to carry two of every type of gun, and wield them both at the same time. Then the game would be like GOLDENEYE

GOLDENEYE!!!
fell in love with the game
Blue Vex
melted

Post by Blue Vex »

n99 wrote:What if you choose akimbo = bandolier + akimbo. Would you get 8 clips!?
Good question. ;)
The answer is no. You can only carry 4 Pistol Clips when wearing a Bandolier. Choosing akimbo+bandolier+akimbo would be exactly the same as choosing akimbo+bandolier.
Stric
needs some Pepto Bismol

Post by Stric »

And please fix that LOCK shit when 3teams mode is enabled....
^stric^
Flunx
feels some chest pain
In-game Name: iN Flunx

Post by Flunx »

Jazzie wrote: GOLDENEYE!!!
Amen †
I like to play games, not watch them
Span
sank like a rock

Post by Span »

Ok. Short update.

I've added Thigh Pads to the Kevlar Helmet now, and renamed the item to Tactical Kevlar (might be changed at later notice).

Also, the increased damage dealt by the Sniper Rifle when used with silencer now only applies when standing still or walking.
"fifan va lätt!"
DeCoder
is connecting

Re: One of Blue Vex's passions

Post by DeCoder »

While I disagree with most of the points that concern complicating AQ2, there are some that I find to be extremely good ideas.
With these modifications, AQ2 would be, in my opinion, at its absolute best.
Blue Vex wrote: -When a player gets hurt by M3 shells, he will bleed at double rate. The default bleed rate is rougly 1 hitpoint per second, meaning that any M3 pellet that might hit you will make you bleed 2 hitpoints per second. This effect stacks. Add 1 extra hitpoint to the bleed rate for each time a player gets hurt by an M3 shot. NOTE, if you got hit by 6 pellets from a single M3 shot, you would still only lose 1 extra hitpoint per second. The stack effect comes per shot that hits you, not per pellet in that shot.´

-Make knife slashing do alot more damage. As of now you can slash someone twice in the stomach, and they will survive.

-Grenades should bounce off sky boxes, not disapear into them.

-Burst mode for MP5 and M4 should make those guns as accurate as when crouching, no matter what you're doing.

-If you land on someone, they should take damage.

-Fix the bug where if you WALK (cl_run 0) either forward or backwards and strafe at the same time, you emit step sounds.
I hate this. If you want to walk properly in AQ2, you have to move in a funny way.
Keeping up delayed appearances.