Problem installing AQ2. (beware of the NOOB)

The place to discuss your client and server issues, or to post your client and server related problems. Now with added Anticheat flavour.

Moderator: Moderators

p0lsel0ff
is connecting

Problem installing AQ2. (beware of the NOOB)

Post by p0lsel0ff »

Hi!

I downloaded the AQ2 install file (http://www.aq2world.com/?p=features&id=31&page=1), and installed it. It won't work. I ran AQ2.exe. I get this error message in the console:

I downloaded NoCheat 2.34, as the tutorial claimed I had to choose a client. I installed NoCheat by pasting the .exe and the dll's in the AQ2 directory, but i get this error message when I attempt to run the exe file:

"Couldn't fall back to software refresh!"

Which seems like pure gibberish to me.

Does anyone know wth is going on with my AQ2 install?
Clement
Master of the Universe

Post by Clement »

Instead of copying the exe file and the dll files to your action folder, you should put 'em in your quake2 folder.
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

Couldn't fall back to software refresh!

means that q2 cant find the ref_gl.dll, make sure its in ur root dir of q2

i.e c:\quake2\

there should be an action map in there too

c:\quake2\action

ask some1 for ref_gl.dll and ur problems will be solved, i cant give u atm. not home!
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
Clement
Master of the Universe

Post by Clement »

Oh yes - and welcome!
sanity
was in the wrong place

Post by sanity »

bring friends!
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Re: Problem installing AQ2. (beware of the NOOB)

Post by NRGizeR »

p0lsel0ff wrote:It won't work. I ran AQ2.exe. I get this error message in the console:
that's not an error :) just says that it can't find the demo that it wants to play as the menu background... it actually does nothing, so this doesn't mean that your q2 installation doesn't work... try to hit the esc button and you should see the menu....
I downloaded NoCheat 2.34, as the tutorial claimed I had to choose a client. I installed NoCheat by pasting the .exe and the dll's in the AQ2 directory, but i get this error message when I attempt to run the exe file:

"Couldn't fall back to software refresh!"
as morphster said, you should copy this to the same place you have your aq2.exe file... you should still get the same error as above tho, (first error) because this doesn't add the demo needed for you NOT to get that error...

You should start aq2 with aq2.exe +set game action, and then when you see the console, just hit esc to see the menu (or type "map urban" (not quotes) for example to start the urban map and jump around)
Rallu
hit the ground hard, real hard

Post by Rallu »

I assume this is my fault again. Sounds like you used my install. I forgot to add ref_gl.dll to install (which I don't even have yet... someone please send it to me :P). And that error message comes if you run normal q2 and not aq2. There should be runaq.bat in the root folder of q2. Use that. And btw noCheat sucks, don't use it.
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Rallu to the rescue :)
p0lsel0ff
is connecting

Post by p0lsel0ff »

A friend of mine uses the noCheat client, he has bots. I've just downloaded the apr client, and I don't have bots. Atleast the readme doesn't say how to add them.

How can I get bots? I don't want to go online and get owned without basic aim practice O_o

thx everyone, both here and on IRC, for the help. my AQ2 works! :)
Jazzie
is now shorter

Post by Jazzie »

I can't say that I know, but IF they are LTK bots, then they work with the followin commands.

sv addbot x - where x is 1 or 2, to decide the team the bot joins (if teamplay is enabled)
sv removebot
ltk_skill x - where x is a value between one and ten. this sets the 'skill' of the bots. (With 1 they will run around randomly and hardly shoot at all. with 10 they will still run away randomly but score alomst only headshots even if they are not looking at you.)

I suppose there are like a gazillion other commands but those are really the only necessary ones.

Feel free to correct me if they are not LTK's.
fell in love with the game
p0lsel0ff
is connecting

Post by p0lsel0ff »

those are the commands he uses, yes. I just downloaded the LTK bots :)

edit: how do i increase "maxclients"? :x

i want to cry. why is this so complicated? in cs, you start a server in the ingame menu. AQ2 is, what, six years old? and noone has made a more user friendly client? This scares me.
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

p0lsel0ff wrote:those are the commands he uses, yes. I just downloaded the LTK bots :)

edit: how do i increase "maxclients"? :x

i want to cry. why is this so complicated? in cs, you start a server in the ingame menu. AQ2 is, what, six years old? and noone has made a more user friendly client? This scares me.
just type maxclients 16 in the console to set maxclients to 16 :) alternatively you could add +set maxclients 16 to your command line, OR you could add it to you config....

I would guess that AQ2 doesn't have a more userfriendly just for that reason, that it is old... I mean, why bother to add a GUI, if everyone already knows how to use the console.... besides, with the scripting power availible (and needed in the original aq2, just take the sniper script for ex.) it isn't really feasible to make a gui since almost everyone would still need to learn the console commands to change the scripts :)

my 2 cents...
p0lsel0ff
is connecting

Post by p0lsel0ff »

That's my point. I see some of the articles on this site saying that AQ2 is dying, etc.. This is one of the reasons, no offense to you ;)
I mean, why bother to add a GUI, if everyone already knows how to use the console....
we new guys don't. sure, we can learn (i'm going to!) but in the end, it's not going to attract a large fan base. which is a shame. :(
Clement
Master of the Universe

Post by Clement »

The game is too old and too ugly to attract a large fan base.
Royal^
was in the wrong place

Post by Royal^ »

Welcome to our community, and dont cheat nor whine, my advice.
admin of #DuraWorks - #shoutcastftw - AQ2Suomi.com