helping ppl to set up r1q2ded

The place to discuss your client and server issues, or to post your client and server related problems. Now with added Anticheat flavour.

Moderator: Moderators

Haudrauf
tripped on its own grenade

helping ppl to set up r1q2ded

Post by Haudrauf »

Since r1q2ded makes every other server-binary obsolete it's obvious that it should be installed on a server that wants to serve users best.

I'm not going into feature-details of the server again, but there are some nice new server-variables to configure: http://www.r1ch.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=103

Not many server-admins switched to the r1q2ded till now... I don't really get why - perhaps some ppl are having problems running it. That's why..

... I'm actually helping people to set up r1q2ded on their linux server!

Get free help now! Get a free washing machine shipped too! Just call QuAd|Haui #quadaver Quakenet.

PS: I'm not helping ppl to set r1q2ded up on their dialups nor on windows machines.
ImageOwner of http://aq2maps.quadaver.org
Not part of #aq2admins for a reason.
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

The problem is conservatism in general and the lack of an appealing name for this particular product. Features cannot, unfortunately, stand up against the stupidity of man in general.

EDIT: Oh Haui be so kind to 'weave' this issue into a question for my Bryce interview, and be sure to formulate it in a manner I can understand. I have the feeling it could be very informative to see his reply to a properly phrased question on this subject.
Gore Vidal: "To succeed is not enough. Others must fail."
Da^JuaN
was picked off

Post by Da^JuaN »

i have to say, that im having a problem with strafing decently on the servers with r1ch installed, where i dont have any problems with strafing on servers without r1ch.
IBA
didn't throw its grenade far enough

Post by IBA »

movement n00b :)
#quadaver || TEAMS !"§ || http://www.quadaver.de
R1CH
joined the game

Post by R1CH »

Da^JuaN wrote:i have to say, that im having a problem with strafing decently on the servers with r1ch installed, where i dont have any problems with strafing on servers without r1ch.
I find this rather strange because nothing is altered on the server which would cause different player movement (PMove function is unchanged). Are you sure you do not mean movement feels different with the R1Q2 client? If not, please tell me in more detail how there is a problem, ie slower max speed, missed jumps, something more than just "problems" so I have something to look into :).
Da^JuaN
was picked off

Post by Da^JuaN »

Dunno how to explain, but i already heard more people with having the same problem, they didnt want to play a cw on slr/pickup server because of the r1ch server there. Its hard to explain, its more like.. you first jump goes fine but then the jump afterwards slips or something, for example.. if you do the big jump on urban with 1 time strafing it goes fine and if you do it with 2 times, you kinda 'misjump' or something, and slip of the building. Sometimes it goes already wrong by the first jump though.. that you cant continue jumping after the first strafejump. Dont think you understand what i mean though, but i dont know how to explain it :)
R1CH
joined the game

Post by R1CH »

Do you think you could record a demo of what it should look like and what happens on an r1q2 server? That would give me something to work with.
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

He means strafe 'locking'.
When you're strafe jumping and instead of jumping again, you stick to the floor and strafe. I find this happens in any client/server. I've noticed it happens more frequently at cl_maxfps rates of more than 90, but being able to strafe jump perfectly at 60.
dudemcpek
had its throat slit

Post by dudemcpek »

Ye, it happens the same to me too, just like to clown.
Nothing special on r1ch servers, in fact, it's a lot better - NO NC SERVER!
Da^JuaN
was picked off

Post by Da^JuaN »

http://johan.z0r.nl/jumpbug.dm2

On this demo it looks like i just cant strafejump, and it looks pretty smooth.. but its hesitating while you play. I already found out, that if i lower my maxfps to <90 i can strafe normally. Its only with r1q2, not on any other server.

Other thing is, you get kicked if your fps goes over 125 if thats the maximum. But if you put your maxfps on 120, it happens too sometimes that you get kicked for having 127fps.. i even had it when my maxfps was 100.

Besides those things, i like r1q2 :)
R1CH
joined the game

Post by R1CH »

The bug exhibited there is a Q2 physics bug. It is NOT caused by R1Q2 server, it is caused by this code that is in every Q2 client/server.

Code: Select all

if (pml.velocity[2] < -200)
				{
					pm->s.pm_flags |= PMF_TIME_LAND;
					// don't allow another jump for a little while
					if (pml.velocity[2] < -400)
						pm->s.pm_time = 25;	
					else
						pm->s.pm_time = 18;
				}
This code is shared by the client AND server so that the client can do accurate prediction. As you see, if you hit the ground at a certain speed, the game will disallow another jump for between 144-200ms.

If this problem was specific to R1Q2 server, your client would happily predict the strafe jump would be valid and you would start to jump into the air, but the server would deny the movement, resulting in you snapping back to ground - a very obvious prediction miss. This is a feature shared by all Q2 clients and could be called a physics bug due to it only occuring at high FPS.

Even if I removed that code to limit strafe jumping from the server completely, your client would still predict that it wouldn't be able to jump when in actual fact it could, resulting in more prediction misses! I will make it an option to disable this "strafe jump limiter" code in the server and then you can see for yourself what happens since your client will still be thinking it is limited.

Either way, this code is identical to the code used in 3.21, NCServer, etc so there is no way it can occur "more often" on an R1Q2 server. It is probably just your imagination.
Da^JuaN
was picked off

Post by Da^JuaN »

It really isnt my imagination, tonight i played a clanwar for #fc04.. first on sumpen server.. i strafe normally on that server.. we switch server for the 2nd map.. and i cant strafe? The only difference between the servers is r1q2. Besides that, im not the only one having that problem.

btw, if you do rcon status.. you can see the rate and if they use nc or not, great option imo. But theres also an option: pps, whats that?
R1CH
joined the game

Post by R1CH »

pps = packets per second, which is equivelant to the FPS for most clients.

Are you sure everything is the same for both servers? Same map, same players visible at once, etc. The only thing that this bug is dependant on is the FPS your client gets aka packets/sec. So the only thing I can think is somehow you are getting higher FPS on R1Q2 server from some other factor. This code cannot be changed or else client prediction would be out of sync.

What client are you using for this?

EDIT, some additional info. I added code to my client to detect when one of these 'bugs' occurs and did 100 jumps on a normal Q2 server and 100 jumps on an R1Q2 server. Both servers gave exactly 11 occurances. Maybe I should automate it and do 1000s of jumps overnight or something but I really do not see how it could be possible for my server binary to cause this effect.
Haudrauf
tripped on its own grenade

Post by Haudrauf »

I tested this 'issue' on ncserver and r1q2ded now for a long time.

It's everywhere the same... just don't use 125 fps if you can't start your jumping with some decent speed. If you begin your jumps with a speedy mouse-cycle (to have a minimum of speed) it won't stick you to the ground - otherwise, it will.

The whole thing you are talking about ... sticking on the ground - not being able to do the bunnyhops - is a general q2-physics bug which we know since ages (since the maxfps on the aq2-servers aren't capped anymore at like 85fps).
R!CH hasn't changed anything! of the player movement code in r1q2ded to prevent compatibility issues. Would he change the server-code to allow easier bunny-jumping he would break the clients built-in prediction.

Independent of r1q2ded or ncserver or normal quake2 3.21
You can test this issue on every server for your own convenience and see a demo too:
http://quad.netdome.biz/aq2/highfps_aq2_jumps.dm2 (256kb)

/Haui
ImageOwner of http://aq2maps.quadaver.org
Not part of #aq2admins for a reason.
minchiano
bleeds to death

Post by minchiano »

I say you bunnies stick on the ground so I can blast ya with me HC!