athlon 2100+512mb+radeon 9800 pro+q2=20fps?!?

Forum for anything hard- or software related.

Moderator: Moderators

Caboom
is connecting

athlon 2100+512mb+radeon 9800 pro+q2=20fps?!?

Post by Caboom »

Hi all. My nephew has a problem, he gets 20-30fps in q2 with normal resolutions. Other games work just fine. When he uses 320x240 as resolution, his fps goes up to 200, but with 800x600 he only gets 50 fps anymore and with higher resolutions under 30. It's the same with both software and opengl. He used win xp, but formatted and installed win2k because of this problem, but it didn't help. He's tried different versions of his graphics card drivers but they had no effect. So if anybody has a solution, I'd appreciate it.
Btw I hope this is in the right place, there isn't a general helpdesk forum here :)
Clavven
blew up

Post by Clavven »

Try older drivers for radeon9800
#ovanallt.aq2
Tangerine
is connecting

Post by Tangerine »

yeah i was thinking that too, but if its the same at software also? anyway omega drivers, thats the next one i suppose. And ofcourse dont forget to update your motherboard drivers.
In this material world, the things you own end up owning you.
NeoFight
found a way out

Post by NeoFight »

I had the same problem. And as the others say try an older version. I dunno what CATALYST drivers u got?
Bu if u use them try 4.7 it worked for me and a friend of mine so maybe it will work a third time :)
And if u don't have a clue what driver he has here a link too the CATALYST 4.7 :)
CATALYST 4.7
Endy
sank like a rock

Post by Endy »

Huhu, we are MANY that have had those Radeon+q2 problems :(

Well, teh solution is catalyst 4.7 :) Heard that some ppl are using omega drivers that works fine, don't know about that though... Im gonna stick to my 4.7
Caboom
is connecting

Post by Caboom »

Thanks for the tips, installing 4.5 was the solution. 4.7 improved a bit but 4.5 was way faster. I had told him earlier to try older drivers but he thought older ment 4.9 :)
Styx
is connecting

vertical synch

Post by Styx »

try checking if vertical synch is on..
If it's on the computer will have problems getting higher fps than you monitor generates hz.. Atleast so I am told..
Skyw4lker
is connecting

Post by Skyw4lker »

If vertical sync is activated the gfx card waits for the monitor displaying the whole frame. This has the effect that never more fps are displayed then the hz rate is set to... . Though if activated the animations look more smooth then without vsync, anyway turning it off is the better idea...
Jumping over boxes etc... .
Last edited by Skyw4lker on Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jazzie
is now shorter

Re: vertical synch

Post by Jazzie »

Styx wrote:try checking if vertical synch is on..
If it's on the computer will have problems getting higher fps than you monitor generates hz.. Atleast so I am told..
I weep for anyone playing on a 25Hz monitor.
fell in love with the game
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

Chuckles.
Skyw4lker wrote:If vertical sync is activated the gfx card waits for the monitor displaying the whole frame. This has the effect that never more fps are displayed then the mhz rate is set to... . Though if activated the animations look more smooth then without vsync, anyway turning it off is the better idea...
Jumping over boxes etc... .
I bow to anyone having a mhz monitor.

Even more offtopic than the rest of my post: skyw4lker, if u quote someone (I mean your signature), would be nice if you tell who you are quoting, imo.
Gore Vidal: "To succeed is not enough. Others must fail."
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

What a load of crap :) every cat version above 4.7 (even lower) work great, ATi's drivers are getting better and better.

Anyway, What chipset is on ur mobo? try installing the mobo agp drivers. Should solve many problems.

Here is how i solved my ati-i-get-weird-fps-drop problem: http://den.m00ki.de/ati
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

Actually, no. Only 4.7 gives desent framerates to play with. Anything higher and it doesn't work.
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

No problems here :)
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
NeoFight
found a way out

Post by NeoFight »

Den wrote:What a load of crap :) every cat version above 4.7 (even lower) work great, ATi's drivers are getting better and better.

Anyway, What chipset is on ur mobo? try installing the mobo agp drivers. Should solve many problems.

Here is how i solved my ati-i-get-weird-fps-drop problem: http://den.m00ki.de/ati
Then I got 1 question why does my AQ2 get 17 FPS with the catalyst 4.10 and 140+ with the 4.7?

Could it be my old cheapass 14" :o monitor? (the thing can only handle 60 hertz :?)
Skyw4lker
is connecting

Post by Skyw4lker »

well n99, i was at work when i posted this and thinking about something completely different, so if you never make typing mistakes i bow to you
almighty, allknowing god of my and our all universe
Last edited by Skyw4lker on Fri Oct 29, 2004 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.