Martial Artists / Budokas?

The infamous forum of spam and anything unrelated to Action Quake2.

Moderator: Moderators

WuWili
joined the game

Post by WuWili »

emu wrote:feels like ninja stuff and shit karate yoyo and all that has been more popular amongst the nerds latley. must be naruto or something
Nice :D I trained in Hokutoryu Ju-Jutsu(it's a Finnish style of Ju-Jutsu/Jiu-Jitsu) few years ago, got myself an orange belt and practiced also some Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. Then I quit for 2.5 years. Now I started again in BJJ(Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu), my noobie-course ends this month and I will move to train with advanced ppl.
Hokutoryu(and all "tradiotional" ju-jutsu styles) are really effective in self-defense, but not that much in competition and Brazilian is more competitive style with most of the time focusing to techniques you do in a competition or in a 1on1 situation in the streets.
And yes, Judo was formed baseing to Ju-Jutsu. They just took all "too dangerous" techniques away and put some more softness in it.
I like BJJ and Hokutoryu for they make you do technique, not study some philosophy... Not that they're bad, I think they could be useful, not for me though :P

And most of the fights occur in bars or clubs. And usually between 01.00 and 05.00 :P I have been to a couple of fights, some won, most of them lost ;)
And Pauhi, don't be so self-confident, there's always a guy meaner than you ;)
-- Wu-Wili
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

WuWili wrote: And yes, Judo was formed baseing to Ju-Jutsu. They just took all "too dangerous" techniques away and put some more softness in it.
i didn't remember to mention this, but karate, judo, jujutsu and many other arts have all came to be the same way. there was this one art(i didn't pay enough attention when my dad explained this to me :<) with all the leathal techniques, pressure points(the same as in akupuncture(is this the correct english term? :P), these points can be used to heal or to cause pain) and all that. then they(i'd say japanese, anyway asians) noticed that it was too harsh and violent for little kids(who had to start training when they were just little kids). they took out all the leathal part, including pressure points and the techniques that can end up braking someones arm etc. the result was karate. so basically, todays karate is what little kids were taught times ago :D when they started growing up they were taught different arts and finally the main art.

i feel bad that i don't remember this any better, but it's something like this. try to find some material about it, if you're interested in :P
Sync' imeiz - AQ2Suomi & AQ2World forum moderator, part-time TATM-writer
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

I want to be like the Power Rangers.
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Clown wrote:I want to be like the Power Rangers.
...you already are! :rambo:
WuWili
joined the game

Post by WuWili »

imeiz wrote:i didn't remember to mention this, but karate, judo, jujutsu and many other arts have all came to be the same way. there was this one art(i didn't pay enough attention when my dad explained this to me :<) with all the leathal techniques, pressure points(the same as in akupuncture(is this the correct english term? :P), these points can be used to heal or to cause pain) and all that. then they(i'd say japanese, anyway asians) noticed that it was too harsh and violent for little kids(who had to start training when they were just little kids). they took out all the leathal part, including pressure points and the techniques that can end up braking someones arm etc. the result was karate. so basically, todays karate is what little kids were taught times ago :D when they started growing up they were taught different arts and finally the main art.

i feel bad that i don't remember this any better, but it's something like this. try to find some material about it, if you're interested in :P
Well, Ju-Jutsu was the style that samurais' used in combat... Or atleast it evolved from that. But yes, today they're almost the same. Well karate + judo = Ju-Jutsu
-- Wu-Wili
Jazzie
is now shorter

Post by Jazzie »

then we could merge into a giant tortoise.
fell in love with the game
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

WuWili wrote:Well, Ju-Jutsu was the style that samurais' used in combat... Or atleast it evolved from that. But yes, today they're almost the same. Well karate + judo = Ju-Jutsu
i'd say devolve(after you take away all the violent stuff.. ;p), but anyway, yes :) i too have orange belt in hokutoryu jujutsu :>
pauhi
melted

Post by pauhi »

WuWili wrote:And Pauhi, don't be so self-confident, there's always a guy meaner than you ;)
Ofcourse there is, but nowadays I have total trust on my skills when I walk down the streets and notice some obnoxious thugs across me, I dont have to 'fear' anymore.

I also think, that people "who know how to fight", aren't picking fights at the streets / bars. That is because when you know that you can inflict some serious physical injuries for another person, it gives a whole new angle of vision to the situation.

If a guy is picking a fight with you, without knowing that you know something, just smile and think what would happen if you really were to fight him. Dont attack, and dont let your guard down, if he strikes first -> block + run if possible, if not, block + strike. :)
›› pauhi ››
Spill the blood of the fucking lamb
WuWili
joined the game

Post by WuWili »

imeiz wrote: i'd say devolve(after you take away all the violent stuff.. ;p), but anyway, yes :) i too have orange belt in hokutoryu jujutsu :>
Well when Ju-Jutsu was "formed" they didn't take the violent stuff away. And Ju-Jutsu was their no-weapon style.
pauhi wrote:
Ofcourse there is, but nowadays I have total trust on my skills when I walk down the streets and notice some obnoxious thugs across me, I dont have to 'fear' anymore.

I also think, that people "who know how to fight", aren't picking fights at the streets / bars. That is because when you know that you can inflict some serious physical injuries for another person, it gives a whole new angle of vision to the situation.

If a guy is picking a fight with you, without knowing that you know something, just smile and think what would happen if you really were to fight him. Dont attack, and dont let your guard down, if he strikes first -> block + run if possible, if not, block + strike. :)
Well you may not have fear in your eyes ( ;) ), but you should still internalize that in some situations your knowledge of some art is useless. I know people that have beatten the crap out of other who know some art, without any difficulties.
Yes, most of the people who train fighting, don't do it outside dojo/gym. But what do we have today in Iltalehti? "Professional boxer beated referee" :) That can happen too.
And if you want to smile while thinking what you might do to him/her/them, do it with some space between you two. Punches can come fast, and it might not knock you out but will surely put you off guard. If he's threatening you, you can attack him without consiquences. If you do it using some consideration :P
-- Wu-Wili
pauhi
melted

Post by pauhi »

I don't know what kind of method do you use for training for the "real-life situations". We have free randori (no gloves, no helmets, nothing..), you can even bite if you want. That's partially meant to simulate the "feeling of a real fight". (It is NOT competition of any kind, because the only competition in Bujinkan we have is against ourselves. In our randori, no-one looses or wins).

And ofcourse I use my sense if someone is clearly a threat to me, I will take some distance if I feel like it.

In a real fight you dont really necessarily have to use (read: think) the techniques, they should come out of your spine, appropriate technique / henka to any situation.

+ You mentioned about loosing my guard if a guy punches me, if I feel that he's threatening in any kind, I wont let my guard down.

"Anyone can perfect a technique, but to learn the flow - what you can't see - is the most important.
We must use the inertia our opponents give us.
"

-Masaaki Hatsumi
Last edited by pauhi on Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
›› pauhi ››
Spill the blood of the fucking lamb
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

WuWili wrote:Well when Ju-Jutsu was "formed" they didn't take the violent stuff away. And Ju-Jutsu was their no-weapon style.
With 'violent stuff' I mostly meant the things that can really damage someones inner organs(not meaning to hit em with a crowbar or anything like that) or be leathal. You can knock someone out with just a small punch to a pressure point, so that's pretty much the stuff I was talking about. You don't see it in any "normal" style of Ju-Jutsu :P

Anyway, nobody's that kinda fool to think they can beat up anyone, I hope ;p And if someone trains something, it doesn't necessarily mean that he can beat up someone that doesn't train. You know what I mean. If a budoka gets beaten on 1on1, it's most likely a showoff, or a rookie. I don't like it at all that some dudes start flying about some cool move they just learned, because it's not like that in a real situation. Anyway, train properly and it'll be good to you :) And even if you never get into a fight, you might need ukemis, in case you fall down(it's slippery already, atleast in Lapland :D). So learn the basics well, and have fun :)

I'm starting to do this cheer up bs, so I'll just drop off :D
emu
Syndrome of a Down

Post by emu »

Jazzie wrote:
then we could merge into a giant tortoise.
i wanna be that white dude. his saurus came from the docks everytime. and was like instant battle. it was soo cool.
Call me your valentine call me once tonight
Kurupt
:I

Post by Kurupt »

racist
emu
Syndrome of a Down

Post by emu »

that to. i would never been that nigro. his monster sucked cock.

and hes black
Call me your valentine call me once tonight
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

The white ranger was the green ranger.
I don't give a shit.