Major Issues!

Forum for anything hard- or software related.

Moderator: Moderators

Sovnig
blew itself up

Major Issues!

Post by Sovnig »

Well, I've just bought a new computer (hooray for me!), and now I want to put my 1337 gfx-card into it!
But where on earth is that power-cable-thingie to put onto the gfx card located (are you sposed to buy those?)
So far all I've gotten from my sweat and tears trying to make it work is a bleeding finger since the puter wouldn't let me open it TOO easily O_o
A good discussion is like a miniskirt; long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to pertain interest
//Splinter
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

Not all graphics cards have them. Just for your information though, they use the same ones as for your hard drive. They're called 4 pin molexes.
I don't give a shit.
Sovnig
blew itself up

Post by Sovnig »

So, should there be one of these thingies hanging around somewhere in the computer or should I invest in one?
A good discussion is like a miniskirt; long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to pertain interest
//Splinter
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

If you have a spare one coming from the power supply, you can use it. If not, you can buy a 'Y-splitter'. This just makes one of those sockets into two. Shouldn't cost too much.
I don't give a shit.
flz
joined the game

Post by flz »

btw clowneh , doesnt ati mostly use the small molex thingies you need for your floppy drive ?

Just use the right one (big or small) comes with your power supply.
i recommend to use a single cable (without any other devices plugged into it) to get more stability. 8)

edit: Normally these y-adapters are included in every gfx package (bulk or retail) if its required to use it.
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

My 9800 Pro didn't use the smaller floppy drive power cable thing. I don't think the newer ones do either. Could be wrong though :)
I don't give a shit.
flz
joined the game

Post by flz »

ok, i had a look. :P

It seems that Ati changed it to get more mechanical stability.
The small molex connector was used on older Radeon 9500/9700 cards.
New cards like the x-series should be equipped with the bigger one. 8)
chron
joined the game

Post by chron »

If the computer is that new, are you using a pci-express card? Some of them use a 4 pins p4 plug like thingy. Its on most of the newer power supplys above or around 400W.
Sovnig
blew itself up

Post by Sovnig »

Well I managed to install it now :D
I just stole my floppy disks powercable, and now it works perfectly, yay!
//Splinter