Bullet Prediction

The place to discuss your client and server issues, or to post your client and server related problems. Now with added Anticheat flavour.

Moderator: Moderators

Preto
found a way out

Bullet Prediction

Post by Preto »

Well, i don't know shit (can i say shit?) about coding, but if someone developed an bullet prediction code for quake2 i would pay him 5 € :shocker: or maybe 10 :shocker:

This would improve the competition between let's say PT clans and the nordic one's, and we could have Europe vs. USA matchs, or even against South America or Australia! 8)

I suppose it would be difficult but the community would be very pleased about it.

Sorry for my english mistakes O_o
aztecx
sank like a rock

Post by aztecx »

yeh actually that would be good, there is bullet prediction in one client, its some quake 3 client not sure what its called. The client is crap apart from the prediction, like u cant see where the bullets are landing.

This would also give australia a chance against america :)
Mutu
loses a vital chest organ

Post by Mutu »

That would be cool :wee:
· Catch-Gamer.no AQ2admin
cheef
blew itself up

Post by cheef »

ahhhh, i'm already used to play with ping >50 :?

is this mod like q3 instagib? (or what the correct name is)
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

cheef, you'd learn really fast to aim where you are supposed to :)

nobody's talking about a mod, or? :o
Sync' imeiz - AQ2Suomi & AQ2World forum moderator, part-time TATM-writer
Stric
needs some Pepto Bismol

Post by Stric »

This is in old Matrix AQ2 mod. You can actually see where bullets go and its server side command like shelloff. (streakoff//bullet streaks on/off )
BTW this mod has dual m3, dual m4, dual mp5 ... :)
^stric^
Preto
found a way out

Post by Preto »

This has nothing to do where bullets go! Bullet prediction i believe to be the name of the code that allows on games like et that u can aim with 90's ping like you have 20! :rambo:
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

compare it to predicted movement by setting cl_predict 0. that's how your bullets act without bullet prediction :p or, you can see it with laser. you hit where it points at.
Sync' imeiz - AQ2Suomi & AQ2World forum moderator, part-time TATM-writer
n99
"Sticks and Stones..."

Post by n99 »

Why don't you ask R1CH or maniac for comment on this topic, I doubt its useful to chat about it like this when everyone here knows shit all about it...
Gore Vidal: "To succeed is not enough. Others must fail."
Clement
Master of the Universe

Post by Clement »

The subject of bullet prediction was debated heavily on the RQ3 forums a long time ago I remember..

The pros are kinda obvious; more even play - even for the high-pingers.

The cons; Consider the case where you (the low-ping guy) have just ducked down from the top of the cliff2-hill, and you still manage to catch a bullet from that pesky m4, eventhough you, on _your_ screen wasn't in the line of sight of the other player. But due to the fact that he's a high-pinger, he saw you as being above the hill, and then the bullet prediction made him able to hit you - eventhough he shouldn't have been...

This was as far as I recall the reason why they never got around to implement it in RQ3, and it's reason enough to convince me that it shouldn't be implemented in AQ2...
cheef
blew itself up

Post by cheef »

we have to life with the ping problems in this game.
the bullet prediciont ll not make the game more popular.
aq2 is old and i dont believe that many guys are going to start aq2 only because of bullet predection.
before they begin aq2 they ll try some new games like call of duty or medal of honor :D
be glad that so many people still play this game, with or without bullet prediction :D
aztecx
sank like a rock

Post by aztecx »

but the ping thing u are talking about already happens in game... where u go around a corner and get shot. Its happend to me, it will always happen.
fuct
is full of buckshot

Post by fuct »

being a modem user myself O_o i might chip in to pay the coder too :D
Haudrauf
tripped on its own grenade

Post by Haudrauf »

It's an old idea that has been crawling over different scenes.. and was always scrapped for having even more problems than living with the high-ping before.

But... there have been different approaches to counter high-pings.
Real static routing over proxies helped me alot to play on some norwegian server with ping 50 instead of 120..
The "120" in ping calculated by the ISPs interconnections and bad routing. So.. basically, with static routing, you connect to a proxy (a server) that is near to you, and that server connects you to the real gameserver. Thus you "manually" route your game-packets.

People have been able to play in the USA with lower pings than usual making worldwide challenges possible.

But hey, Qizmo for Quake2 won't ever be created? Or is there some coder that wants to face this challenge? At least it would be a real solution for europe.

(PS: Qizmo was such a proxy to route Quakeworld packets)
ImageOwner of http://aq2maps.quadaver.org
Not part of #aq2admins for a reason.
gegoj
tried to put the pin back in

Post by gegoj »

I prefer prediciton the way it is (even if it means playing with 150+ ping), but You could always make it optional. sv_bpredict 0/1 or something like that.
Some people drink from the fountain of knowledge... ...and some just gargle...