action.marsmodule.com updated

The general catch-all forum for Action Quake2 related discussions.

Moderator: Moderators

Rallu
hit the ground hard, real hard

action.marsmodule.com updated

Post by Rallu »

Small useless site called action.marsmodule.com has been updated. Now with forums and some other small enchantments that ain't even notable.

Point of forum is to create some sort of development to aq2install for which I haven't had that much time anymore (like creating more cheesy textures)

I'll updating site with more features if and when it gets more activity.

here if you don't know what url is (doh)
http://action.marsmodule.com

Just informing community.
-Rallu
Endy
sank like a rock

Post by Endy »

Wouldn't call it useless site... I don't know how many ppl I've linked to that AQ2install :)
You think I CARE about oHms law and the red*communists, the AC in my car or the mumbojumbo clutch-type grip, the perfect silent Avalanche that later made me to realize that I don't know anythINg.
Rallu

Post by Rallu »

Endy wrote:Wouldn't call it useless site... I don't know how many ppl I've linked to that AQ2install :)
3321 downloads and 24,000 visits in 2½ months (time perioid after old server burning). With 3.13Gb/day avarage traffic. That useless.
L0ki
didn't throw its grenade far enough

Post by L0ki »

Wouldn't call it useless site... I don't know how many ppl I've linked to that AQ2install
Yep. Had the same thought. Keep it up, Rallu!
bail
should have used a smaller gun

Post by bail »

i can actually say its quite unusefull for us old qwaak poikas cause we already got ours on the dry spot.
bail{UNi}
grenappels
is connecting

Post by grenappels »

it's quite useful for me because i'm from america and aq2 isn't so popular here anymore... so it's easy to get friends to play aq2 with a simple install like that
Flunx
feels some chest pain
In-game Name: iN Flunx

Post by Flunx »

I tried to install this on a friends computer. It's missing alot of textures and doesn't contain the most played maps. Also some of the 32-bit textures are butt ugly (like the cheese on cliff2, hehe)
But all in all it's a really nice little install, but could use some more tweaking.

It's still really hard for someone who's never played AQ2 to start without knowing somebody who's played it and can help them along the way...
... and it always will be :-)
I like to play games, not watch them
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

Flunx wrote:It's missing alot of textures and doesn't contain the most played maps. Also some of the 32-bit textures are butt ugly (like the cheese on cliff2, hehe)
those textures are in the full q2's baseq2/pak0.pak, so they're copywrited. rallu wishes to keep his install "legal" :)
the maps aren't there, because that would increase the size of the install dramatically. download z_mappack, or get the maps one by one :)

if you wanna get rid of the "cheese", which actually is based on a real life picture of a cliff, delete the following textures.

quake2/action/textures/e1u1/rocks19_1.tga
quake2/action/textures/e1u3/rocks19_1.tga
quake2/action/textures/e2u1/rocks19_1.tga
Sync' imeiz - AQ2Suomi & AQ2World forum moderator, part-time TATM-writer
Hazer
joined the game

Post by Hazer »

Rallu, are you planning to make a Setup.exe instead of DOS install? :)
Because i'm using Win XP and cant install it
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

Hazer wrote:Rallu, are you planning to make a Setup.exe instead of DOS install? :)
Because i'm using Win XP and cant install it
it's a self extracting exe/installer or something, so it should work for everyone. your windows isn't good enough ;)) i tried and it worked on linux too ;p
Sync' imeiz - AQ2Suomi & AQ2World forum moderator, part-time TATM-writer
Flunx
feels some chest pain
In-game Name: iN Flunx

Post by Flunx »

imeiz wrote: those textures are in the full q2's baseq2/pak0.pak, so they're copywrited. rallu wishes to keep his install "legal" :)
Then make substitues? Better than having a map looking like a black and red chess board.
imeiz wrote: the maps aren't there, because that would increase the size of the install dramatically. download z_mappack, or get the maps one by one :)
Well I didn't say he should put all the maps in there. It's just that I don't think the selection of maps are the most played ones.
imeiz wrote: if you wanna get rid of the "cheese", which actually is based on a real life picture of a cliff, delete the following textures...
That's one cheesy cliff then. I've seen some that are alot better. But then again there's the copyrigth issue. I'd rather have no 32-bit textures than some half-assed ones and only 30% maps are covered with them. But that's just my point of view.

All in all this install is a really great thing and I'm very happy that Rallu took the time and effort making it. Keep it up :-)
I like to play games, not watch them
Rallu

Post by Rallu »

Flunx wrote: Then make substitues? Better than having a map looking like a black and red chess board.
Sure thing. If you make those. I don't have time currently to update so I'm hoping having some help with it. I did huge amount of basic q2 textures to TGA format back then when I didn't have all this work I currently have. To help me there is forum where you can post links to textures you have done or ones you have found and asked permission from original author.
Flunx wrote: Well I didn't say he should put all the maps in there. It's just that I don't think the selection of maps are the most played ones.
In this matter you are right. Post your suggestions to action.marsmodule.com forum.

THE CHEESE TEXTURE
I did it and I'm proud of it. When I noticed that everyone hated it... I liked it even more :lol:
Flunx wrote: All in all this install is a really great thing and I'm very happy that Rallu took the time and effort making it. Keep it up :-)
Thanks ;)

And about making .zip (or equivalent): I'm might be doing it if I get some new content together :)

-Rallu
Hazer
joined the game

Post by Hazer »

Hmm, i still dont know how to fix that installer bug :/, it always closes itself, and Rallu i hope you make an aq2installv2 in setup/install format :)
Rallu

Post by Rallu »

Hazer wrote:Hmm, i still dont know how to fix that installer bug :/, it always closes itself, and Rallu i hope you make an aq2installv2 in setup/install format :)
It is in setup/install format.
Hazer
joined the game

Post by Hazer »

Sorry for being so critical against your install, i mean, i have seen the stuff inside your install and its a great piece, not many have the time to make more graphical stuff to q2. Thanks anyway and keep aq2 alive rallu! :)