LCD monitors for gaming?

Forum for anything hard- or software related.

Moderator: Moderators

NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

LCD monitors for gaming?

Post by NRGizeR »

Heh, I was thinking about putting this in the helpdesk, but it's more of a general question than a problem, so I put it here, admins feel free to move it if this was the wrong place after all :)

My good 'ol 17" CRT has been complaining (in a very highpitched noisy way..) for a few months now, and it seems to be a good time to upgrade to a TFT. Was just wondering if you guys had any recomendations for good monitors? Would like a fairly big one, with decent colors and one that would be able to run games (such as our beloved aq2). I've been looking at the Dell 2005FPW, anyone here that has one of those? Just wondering if you have any testimonials to share with me :) Other suggestions are welcome too...
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

The Dell 2005FPW looks good yes :)

I got the Iiyama ProLite E480S

Panel TN Wide Angle
Diagonal 19" (48 cm)
Response time 8 msec
Contrast ratio 700 : 1 typical
Brightness 300 cd / m² typical
Viewing zone horizontal/vertical: 150°/135°;
right/left: 75°/75°,
up/down: 75°/60°
Native resolution 1.3 megapixel (1280 x 1024)
Speaker 2 x 2 W (Stereo)

Anything Iiyama creates is good :)
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Den wrote:Native resolution 1.3 megapixel (1280 x 1024)
Now this is the one thing that I don't get with LCDs. why the foock do they use the same native resolution for 19" and 17"? What's the point in getting a bigger monitor if you still get the same resolution. This has been the biggest reason for me NOT to buy a LCD so far, since my first choice because of the price tag on bigger screens would be a 19" with something like SXGA+ (1400x1050) but it just seems as if these would not exist at all. My second choice would then be to spend a little more cash to get an even bigger screen that would have a decent resolution. I would also rather take a regular monitor than a widescreen, but since the WS versions seem to outpreform the standard ratio monitors in every aspect, (also price) it would be stupid to buy one :) my 2c
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

heh :) but im sure iiyama got something that fits your requirements.
There's a chopper coming in 3 days and there's a katana on top of the cafe and that's all you need to know
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Heh, seems as if they are a bit pricy tho... my biggest problem with buying a LCD is my budget, don't want to get anything that's crap, but don't have enough cash to buy something that I would really like sitting on my desk... O_o
Den
something dur dur

Post by Den »

Then keep saving and wait :) such a waste to buy something that is crap
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Den wrote:Then keep saving and wait :) such a waste to buy something that is crap
Right you are :)
Caracol
was picked off

Post by Caracol »

I would never buy me an LCD monitor... well, only if my room was too small to place the ray tube.
Sorry NRG, can't help you.

C.
Ne quid nimis.
L4nt0m
plummets to its death

Post by L4nt0m »

i got the ACER AL1511 google it for information. i think it just works fine.
imeiz
is legless

Post by imeiz »

my LG L1715SS works like a charm. i don't see the big difference some ppl notice with latencies, this having 12ms, compared to CRT's. :)
Sync' imeiz - AQ2Suomi & AQ2World forum moderator, part-time TATM-writer
Repsaj
as long as it's salty..

Post by Repsaj »

Got myself the BenQ FP767-12. Quite nice, only problem in the beginning was that i had to get used to the darker screen. It works like a charm. Just get a lcd that has less than 16 ms (I'd recommend at least 12 tho, but even faster ones are cheap as hell nowadays) refresh and your good to go.

And about the resolution, ye that's kinda wank to get a 19" and get same resolution. So don't buy 19" for that I'd say.
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

The problems I see with the cheaper (TN-panel) and fast displays are that they are only using 18-bit (I think) colors, which means that the colorquality will be impaired compared to the new IPS panels... the newer ones are also faster for "real life situations" which means that a 16ms IPS panel is about as fast as e TN 12ms, in a real life situation that is. The only problem now is that the newer panels seem to only be availible in the bigger displays, and those are expensive as shit :( . I want a new monitooooooooor! :mrgreen:
NeoFight
found a way out

Post by NeoFight »

Try the 'new' Samsung... I thought they got one with 4ms (its 17" though)
And they got a pretty good 19" with 8ms.

EDIT:

It's the:
Samsung Syncmaster 730BF = 17"
Samsung Syncmaster 913N = 19"

My 17" is acting weird too.. and if it would break down this TFT would be the first one I'd buy :)
Clown
unpossible??!?!!

Post by Clown »

You need to be aware that different manufacturers measure their response time in different ways. Grey to grey, white to black, blah de blah.
4ms might not be 4ms, although I'm happy with my 16ms LG1710B and my 12ms Dell 2005FPW. I'm looking to get that glass fronted one now, 8ms and sweet.
I don't give a shit.
NRGizeR
feels some chest pain

Post by NRGizeR »

Clown wrote:4ms might not be 4ms, although I'm happy with my 16ms LG1710B and my 12ms Dell 2005FPW. I'm looking to get that glass fronted one now, 8ms and sweet.
You have a 2005FPW? What are your impressions? would you recommend it?